Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Buff's road to the 2013 Amageza Rally - ON HOLD !!!  (Read 5768 times)

Offline Firesquirrel

Re: Buff's road to the 2013 Amageza Rally
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2012, 11:20:15 pm »
End of the day you are looking to finish not look cool.

One aspect of carrying extra fuel vs a large tank I don't like is that at some point you will have to stop riding in order to refuel.

Given the price of a larger tank it's really something that most guys will have varied opinions on I guess

Sure... I agree....  but to spend large moolah on a tank that you only get the benefit from once or twice does not make sense to my wallet.

But there are options... bladders and those flat square type aux tanks etc. work really cool.

Last Amageza I stopped to fill up from my 5L jerry that I carried on the back...  I had a smoke... enjoyed the view and carried on....  made little difference to my day ... still had a blast !!
Current Bikes :  KTM 690

Offline Buff

« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2012, 11:24:25 pm »
Yeah, looking cool doesn't bother me but the solution needs to be practical and safe. The WR doesn't exactly have much place to store anything and I'll already be carrying 2l of fluid in a camelback and probably a tool belt as well  :-\
I think I might need to budget on a rear pro-billet rack as well  :thumleft:
Present bikes: BETA 300RR, KTM 690, Yamaha WR250F

If you're dumb you gotta be tough !!!

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2012, 11:35:37 pm »
Yeah, looking cool doesn't bother me but the solution needs to be practical and safe. The WR doesn't exactly have much place to store anything and I'll already be carrying 2l of fluid in a camelback and probably a tool belt as well  :-\
I think I might need to budget on a rear pro-billet rack as well  :thumleft:
I'm wondering about those tanks too,  will have to see what range I can get in sand with my drz and the 18L tank.

Will try running the tank dry in Atlantis and the quarry in December
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:36:53 pm by N[]vA »
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline Firesquirrel

« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2012, 11:36:37 pm »
This was my set up for the last Amageza..... Addis 5L in a bag strapped on.... worked OK..... 

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2012, 07:40:02 am »
Looks like your roadbook is fastened to the handlebar clamps - was this practical while standing?

Or would you have preferred it mounted more forward?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Firesquirrel

« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2012, 09:06:29 am »
It worked OK for me...  Peter from Adventure MX made these and he drilled the holes so that it could mount as far "forward" as possible without obscuring the normal cluster and clocks.

It was at times a bit scary to work the book... zero the little "mountain bike module".... and keep an eye on speed during the "special speed limited zones"...

But again the cost of the "Real McCoy" auto roadbooks was to much for me... adding to that the expensive "Icom" unit etc.

So it just maar had to do !!

Offline Rickus

« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2012, 05:42:41 pm »
This was my set up for the last Amageza..... Addis 5L in a bag strapped on.... worked OK..... 

Ai mooi bly darem maar mooi :mwink:

OMVAL EN OPTEL.....

Offline Buff

« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2012, 04:10:02 pm »
I had a really good training session at Macassar with GJ and 2StrokeDan this morning. I have so much to learn it's frightening  :( Fortunately the sand was nice and firm from the bit of rain we had but I still ended up picking the bike up a few times  :-[

The great news is that Gideon (GJ) has agreed to help train me for the Offroad series & Amageza  :thumleft:
If there's anyone out there that will get me out of my comfort zone then it's GJ. He's patient and has a shit load of knowledge & skill to share. I did a few technical sections this morning that I would never have considered doing by myself in a million years  :o And I survived  :)

Unfortunately one of the guys in our group hurt is knee quite badly (probably torn ligaments) when his front end dug in doing down a dune and he planted his leg at an angle and pop pop, knee stuffed.
It was a wake up call to me on how easy you can hurt yourself and also how important knee braces are.
He was literally going at snail pace when it happened  ??? Hope you heal up soon bud  :thumleft:

Offline Bring It On

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2012, 04:14:30 pm »
Subscribe :thumleft:
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline Buff

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2012, 09:53:59 am »
So my first month of base training has come to an end and itís time to give some feedback.

My initial intention was to do at least do one form of exercise each day for the month of Dec. This went well until my wife had to attend training in Jbg for 5 days and it derailed my plans slightly. Still, I managed to train for 24 of the 30 days so Iím pleased with that  :thumleft:

Today is a rest day and Iím going to reward myself with a lekka braai and a few cold ones  ;D

The results so far:

Bicycle Ė I can do 20kmís quite comfortably now on the MTB and about 50km's on the road bike. It's cool because Iím already able to enjoy some trail riding  :thumleft:

Gym Ė Iím able to do 30min cardio and 30min circuit without any discomfort the next day.

Weight Ė remained constant but havenít started the diet yet.

Dirt Bike Ė Skill needs a lot more work but improvement is happening.

The only concern I have at the moment is my left knee which is letting me know it's not happy with the extra stress I'm putting it under. I'm back to icing it every night so I'll have to watch it closely. Hopefully the Dec break will aid recovery  :thumleft:

December will be much of the same except with maybe a few more rest days and a bit more dirt biking thrown into the mix.

Happy days  :thumleft:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 09:57:23 am by Buff »

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2012, 11:01:55 am »
oKTOBER IS NOG VER !!!!!

Don't overtrain I am always scared of this  :biggrin:
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #71 on: November 30, 2012, 11:20:52 am »
oKTOBER IS NOG VER !!!!!

+1 Geen ander event in die mens se geskiedenis het soveel voorbereiding, en in soveel detail, 'n jaar voor die event gesien nie.

Aan die ander kant het ek net NET 'n jaar om baie jare se bou aan 'n pens om te keer :lol8:

PS: Not aimed at Buff, but in general
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Buff

« Reply #72 on: November 30, 2012, 11:41:32 am »
oKTOBER IS NOG VER !!!!!

+1 Geen ander event in die mens se geskiedenis het soveel voorbereiding, en in soveel detail, 'n jaar voor die event gesien nie.

Aan die ander kant het ek net NET 'n jaar om baie jare se bou aan 'n pens om te keer :lol8:

You guys clearly have no idea just how kak sleg I am at the moment  ;D

Bear in mind this training isn't for the Amageza, it's for next years Offroad series which starts at the beginning of Feb  :o

Not all of us have the natural talent like Tauster  ;)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2012, 02:04:09 am »
Attaboytjie!! Inspiration for me.
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2012, 12:04:45 pm »
oKTOBER IS NOG VER !!!!!

You guys clearly have no idea just how kak sleg I am at the moment  ;D

Bear in mind this training isn't for the Amageza, it's for next years Offroad series which starts at the beginning of Feb  :o

Not all of us have the natural talent like Tauster  ;)

+1

If you have a good bike that you can just hop on and ride, and if you have the riding talent, and if you are generally fit, and if you have a healthy bank balance then the prep work for an event or series of events leading up to Amageza is very low.

For the rest of us.. start now.  :laughing4:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Buff

« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2013, 04:46:30 pm »
The holiday period allowed me to spend some time reflecting on my goals for 2013 and it is with some regret that I need to share that I have decided to drop the Amageza off my ďthings to doĒ this year. The reasons are many so I wonít bore you with my excuses but itís primarily financial (wanting to do too much with too little) and the fact that I have a bit of a personal issue asking people (sponsors) to part with their money for my biking pleasure.

To all the dogs who so generously offered sponsorship (BlueBull, Kenesis, Wayneh and Udjeni), thank you very very much. Your generosity truly humbled me. If I could be so forward as to ask if you would you please consider selecting another WD Amageza wannabe to support in my place as I believe the riders are going to need all the help they can get.

I still believe the Amageza is an awesome concept and it remains high on my bucket list but for now I need to get my priorities sorted. If my leave schedule allows it, I'll also be offering my service to Alex as a marshall for the event so I can see exactly what I'll be letting myself in for in the future.

This however does not mean that I will not be racing in 2013. My primary biking goal for this year will to complete my first full Offroad season in the WC and do one National Enduro, probably the Winterberg in PE. Our first race is on the 2nd Feb in Caledon so itís just around the corner. This will hopefully give me a solid platform to build on for a future shot at Amageza. I'll be racing in the senior category (35-46yrs).

Although not as exciting as prepping a bike for the Amageza, I have decided to rename this thread and continue to document my progress and do RRís for the races that make up the OFFROAD series. Iíll also continue to document my training and diet preparation as some of this will be happening with the other WDís as they are prepping for Amageza. Hopefully this will provide future Offroad riders a perspective on what to expect when starting out.

Good luck to all the Amageza participants, Iíll be following your threads eagerly.

BTW Fuzzy, this doesnít mean youíre off the hook with our training plan, Iím still gonna make you sweat bud.

Cheers
Brett

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Buff's road to the 2013 Amageza Rally - ON HOLD !!!
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2013, 07:40:05 pm »
Dude, Amageza is one 3 day bike ride.

What you are doing with nationals and enduro is much harder, requires more dedication etc IMO.. respect to you, I actually wish I had a 450 or 300 and I could join you in the old ballies section, make no mistake, if I can pull off a half decent year this year I will join you next year.. if you need any backup and support please please let me know.

I think putting the money towards a year's worth of riding is a better decision than one event, if I had a small bike, was fit and half experienced I would make the same decision.. I will be reading your thread with great interest.. better yet you can tell me all about it when we go ride  :thumleft:

I can't wait to get my bike back so we can go ride.. really looking forward to it.

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2013, 07:27:12 am »
The holiday period allowed me to spend some time reflecting on my goals for 2013 and it is with some regret that I need to share that I have decided to drop the Amageza off my ďthings to doĒ this year. The reasons are many so I wonít bore you with my excuses but itís primarily financial (wanting to do too much with too little) and the fact that I have a bit of a personal issue asking people (sponsors) to part with their money for my biking pleasure.

To all the dogs who so generously offered sponsorship (BlueBull, Kenesis, Wayneh and Udjeni), thank you very very much. Your generosity truly humbled me. If I could be so forward as to ask if you would you please consider selecting another WD Amageza wannabe to support in my place as I believe the riders are going to need all the help they can get.

I still believe the Amageza is an awesome concept and it remains high on my bucket list but for now I need to get my priorities sorted. If my leave schedule allows it, I'll also be offering my service to Alex as a marshall for the event so I can see exactly what I'll be letting myself in for in the future.

This however does not mean that I will not be racing in 2013. My primary biking goal for this year will to complete my first full Offroad season in the WC and do one National Enduro, probably the Winterberg in PE. Our first race is on the 2nd Feb in Caledon so itís just around the corner. This will hopefully give me a solid platform to build on for a future shot at Amageza. I'll be racing in the senior category (35-46yrs).

Although not as exciting as prepping a bike for the Amageza, I have decided to rename this thread and continue to document my progress and do RRís for the races that make up the OFFROAD series. Iíll also continue to document my training and diet preparation as some of this will be happening with the other WDís as they are prepping for Amageza. Hopefully this will provide future Offroad riders a perspective on what to expect when starting out.

Good luck to all the Amageza participants, Iíll be following your threads eagerly.

BTW Fuzzy, this doesnít mean youíre off the hook with our training plan, Iím still gonna make you sweat bud.

Cheers
Brett

It will help a lot thanks :thumleft:

Will be following this thread eagerly :ricky:

Offline Beserker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Agito ergo sum
« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2013, 03:02:04 pm »

I noticed...  :P  lol.

Buff, we are also seriously working on base and basics (With GJ looking over our shoulder). You are welcome to join.
My Ride  :ricky:  Angola   Namibia  Northern Cape  Kids