Would you go to the KTM RR again (or GS Challenge) ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

letsgofishing

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
These are just my thoughts on attending the above events - not a criticism of them. The cost was R2200 for 3 days - that's R733 per day. I reckon the 3 meals a day cost no more than R150 per day - that leaves R583. Yes, they supplied tents, though I would rather have brought my own - at least yopu can sit upright in it ;) I fully realise that the infrastructure set up to support such an event is huge, but R583 per day huge - I'm not sure. In addition getting to the event is a long ride for some people- depending on where you live. It was about a 1000km from George and that's about R450 in petrol ONE way. I was away for 51/2 days and 21/2 of those days were spent "jaaging" on a lot of tar to be able to get there in time.
What I'm getting at is the following - if say 4 riders got together, they would have R8800 in the kitty for  say a 6 day tour. That's R367 per person per day. You can stay in a really nice self-catering unit or B&B for about R170 pp/day - that leaves R197 for food for the day. If you braai a couple of times, the food money would go even further (it could pay for some of the amber nectar) ;) OK so there's no emergency services on hand, but with 4 riders together, any unforseen problems should be able to be dealt with. Yes, you don't get the party atmosphere of a big event, but we had 2 great evenings in pubs on the way back home. What you DO get is a really comfortable bed (in most instances) and most importantly to me, a proper toilet. Man, those portable chaps are LETHAL after the second day!!! You get to ride at your own pace as there's no real "deadline' and you can stop and take lots of pics and actually enjoy the scenery.
What are my fellow Wild Dogs' thoughts on this?