2012 Rebel Dog year end run to Zinyala (2013 planned!)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangeswifty

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 SE
Zinyala is one of those places with a 'magical' feeling
The Game Reserve is not big - some 550Ha and has recently had a serious fire depleting most of the winter grass left after the cold season.
The Bush Camp is home to a couple of very tame Nyala's who visits quite often and are not afraid of humans
Other than that there is also a resident herd of wildebeest and blesbok which you can sometimes see thundering past an open style crapper while doing your morning 'thing'!
Every now and again the giraffes also come and rub up against the small 3 x 3m chalets which have ample space for 2 generous single beds and awnings one can open to let the wind through in the heat.

We are normally not there during the daytime as we are out on the sandy stretches of waterberg roads. Zinyala is situated 40 clicks from Warmbaths or Bela Bela and 30 odd from Nylstroom or Modimolle.
I met up with Smokes in Cullinan to complete our first leg of the route to Naboom (Mookgopong) where we were going to meet up with Panne.
The Route is 293 km long of which around 70 is from naboom to Zinyala through the Waterberg mountain range for which this area is so famous.
The road surfaces are excellent and well looked after. Just here and there you will find washed out sections or rocky stretches because of recent heavy rainfall. The mountains are green indicating very good recent rains.

My dad passed away tragically around 3 years ago and the road from Naboom goes past the farm where we scattered his ashes under a rock overhang against the backdrop of some savana grasslands. I stopped for a while to reminisce his life and mark the entry to the farm on my GPS.
Kierie and JC were leaving later that day slabbing directly to Bela Bela and ending off with the last 40 clicks of dirt road to the Zinyala gate

Attachments

• Zinyala via naboom.jpg
    Zinyala via naboom.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 576
  • Zinyala Nov 2012 096.jpg
    Zinyala Nov 2012 096.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC01049.JPG
    DSC01049.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 558
  • Zinyala Nov 2012 004.jpg
    Zinyala Nov 2012 004.jpg