Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: West Coast Adventure, Mike Hopkins Motorcycles,2x KLR650, KTM 990, Tiger 800xc  (Read 6277 times)

Offline TigerMan

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
Learning from our previous mistakes (arriving in Sutherland in the dark and rain) we decided to leave a bit earlier and so met at the 1stop just outside Philidelphia (Cape Town) at 07:00. We were four bikes: KTM 990 (James), 2x KLR 650 (Yves and Adrian) and Tiger 800xc (Gareth). By 07:30 we were on the road with James taking the lead. From Kalbaskraal we road along the railway service roads up to Moorreesburg. Just be aware that if you try this the service road does end abruptly so we ended up crossing the tracks and riding over fences. Anyway, after breakfast in Moorreesburg we hit the N7 to Piekenierskloof pass where at the top we peeled off left. This road is a mix of tar and gravel. A quick fuel stop in Clanwilliam and a very boring N7 to Garies but at least it got us north quickly.

We stayed at the Garies self catering accommodation which was luxury compared to our saturday night sleep over (anyway I'm getting ahead of myself). Saturday was when the real fun started. Heading out of Garies we let our tyre pressures down for the gravel road to Hondeklip Bay but as the fuel range on the KTM and Tiger could pose a problem we had to pull in to Koingnaas (a De Beers mine) for fuel which is about 15km north of Hondeklip Bay. The tough part (according to everyone we spoke to) starts at the Eagles Nest Entrance just outside Hondeklip Bay where we entered the Namaqua Coast National Park. All of us were to put it mildly, shitting ourselves just a little bit as the stories of deep twee spoor sand between Hondeklip Bay and Groenrivier kept running through our minds. In the end we worked our asses off but we got through it. Good memories. Good friends. Eventually we made it to Jurg's se Kaya for a well deserved beer or two. Our overnight stopover was here also but traveling light means carrying the bare essentials. I didn't take a tent I just use a bivvy bag or as James likes to call it and it has become know as the "SACK".  I think I have converted them as Adrian and Yves both want to get "sacks" now. James forgot to take anything with him so he slept in his bike gear in a flower power tent that Adrian brought along. Well the fun didn't stop there. None of us brought any real food with either so we ended up mixing 2 minute noodles, smash and tuna together in a small pot and eating it with out fingers. Oh yeah we can't forget the 4 bottles of 69. We do have a small clip that i'm sure will be on you tube soon.

So Sunday... early rise and on the trail again to get to Lutzville for breakfast. Not much there besides the hotel but a good breakfast it was. A quick stop in Lamberts Bay for a beer then following some tar and gravel roads we headed to Langebaan for lunch. After lunch a quick ride home on the R27. Thanks Adrian, James, Yves for an awesome weekend.

Offline Freerad

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
How about some pics dood!

Offline jpcussen

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Yep - get the pics in and I will get some of the video edits done too - lekka
If you are not falling, you are not trying hard enough.

2009 990R

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
You were the guys we saw at Pearlys in Langebaan?
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline Brandt

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
sub

Offline Divot

Nice report Tigerman. we need photos.
I envy every man that has not been to Africa, for he has so much to look forward too.

Offline jpcussen

You were the guys we saw at Pearlys in Langebaan?

Yeah!... you were the other guys on the KTM's all pulling in? What happened to that 800?

2009 990R

Offline Pistonpete

• Shop Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Live to Ride...Ride to Live
It was pretty scary! The 800 belongs to one of the gals....a very good rider.....came around a slippery corner and went wide into a concrete block on the side of a cattle grid. Stooped dead and she rolled onto the grid....kicked the bike away. It could have been way worse. The fork head bracings etc snapped off clean, rim bent etc. We took the back wheel off and mguivered the bakkie and bike to fit. Just glad shes ok!
'Routine is the thief of time'

Offline jpcussen

It was pretty scary! The 800 belongs to one of the gals....a very good rider.....came around a slippery corner and went wide into a concrete block on the side of a cattle grid. Stooped dead and she rolled onto the grid....kicked the bike away. It could have been way worse. The fork head bracings etc snapped off clean, rim bent etc. We took the back wheel off and mguivered the bakkie and bike to fit. Just glad shes ok!

Oooohh shit - could have been very nasty, great that she is OK and bikes can always be fixed! Some of those fast sand dusted corners can help you run wide if you don't see them. Was a great Mcguiver to see that 800 in the back of that Hilux like that!

2009 990R

Offline NeilV

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
    • My Flickr account
Saw some pics on Facebook, looks like you guys had a lekker ride!  :thumleft:
Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.

Offline Freerad

Some pics

Offline TigerMan

some shock adjustments

Offline Doug C

So glad your weekend went well and you are safely home. It's great to see some of the photos.

How sorry I am that I wasn't able to join you. Though I fear I might well have been out of my depth with regard to some of the more challenging sections.

I will keep working on my riding skills and hopefully in due course I will be able to be part of a future TigerMan adventure.

Offline jpcussen

West Coast Adventure, Mike Hopkins Motorcycles,2x KLR650, KTM 990, Tiger 800xc
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 05:10:50 pm »
Some clips of the 1st Day - riding on the railway service line from Kalbaskraal North... Sand clips from day 2 yet to come  :laughing4:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uxPhWh3RkJk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uxPhWh3RkJk</a>

2009 990R

Offline netrom

• Vendors
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Vendor
Lekker one Cussen.. looks like you had fun. Never a boy scout thou?? Rocking the daisy's tent and sleeping in the bike gear  ;) nice one.... taking minimal to whole new level...

Offline jpcussen

Lekker one Cussen.. looks like you had fun. Never a boy scout thou?? Rocking the daisy's tent and sleeping in the bike gear  ;) nice one.... taking minimal to whole new level...

Well lets face it bud - I have never been too organised or too bothered about not being organised.... a bad combo.... ; )

2009 990R

Offline jpcussen

So here is a clip of some of the sand we rode in the section between Hondeklipbaai and Groenrivier. Before this point we had ridden around 60km of relatively deep sand tracks, but just past a big sign that said "warning 4X4 only  - Deep sand" we then actually came across the deep sand we had been waiting for. Not only was it very deep tweespoor, it was 1:30pm and about 30 degrees so the sand was very soft and loose. The clip does little justice for the depth, as always,  but suffice to say that 4X4's get stuck and grounded on this middlemannetjie and so I guess thats a fair example. Anyway, ears back, head down, dont slow down once you get going... oh, and please look up... or you are going down.... ; )

Very kak when you fall down with a fully loaded bike, with extra water, extra fuel and half buried in sand, sun baking down... trust me I know, I put my back out on this day... before we reached this deep sand... eish... thanks to Adrian ( FeeRad ) for picking up my bike a couple of times after I became paralyzed from the waist down....

Fairly funny part was when Yves on his KLR roosted a wheelbarrow load of sand it one dudes new Prado through an open window. Long story, but we met them head on and we had to get out of the tweespoor as they couldn't, but it was so deep that we actually couldn't get the bikes to ride out as they just slide along the side walls. So they 4X4 clan got out to help push us out and alas one chap left his window open and Yves unintentionally filled his dash and front seats with 18kgs of sand. He was unhappy.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LjYMnRXg-dw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LjYMnRXg-dw</a>

2009 990R

Offline jpcussen

Some more pics.....

2009 990R

Offline jpcussen

A few more...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:46:03 pm by jpcussen »

2009 990R

Offline jpcussen

few more
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 03:45:11 pm by jpcussen »

2009 990R