Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: West Coast Adventure, Mike Hopkins Motorcycles,2x KLR650, KTM 990, Tiger 800xc  (Read 6575 times)

Offline Freerad

• Puppy
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Ha ha awesome pics and vids, thanks James  :thumleft:

Offline Doug C

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Thanks for the video clips and photos, jpc. What an adventure!

Offline Cheetah

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Nice trip  :drif:
jpcussen if you have the gps coordinates for the camp site next to the beach PLEASE send it to me or post it here.
I want to go camp there  ;D
As a man is, so he sees.

Bikes:
BMW R 1200 GS Adv
1981 BMW Bobber

yl_777

This was a awesome trip guys. Thanks for being part of it!!

(Laughs) James its a pity we didn't get footage of that guys bakkie filling with sand. It was unintentional but funny as well as my high side hamstring hyper extension fall!

I agree it's great footage but it still doesn't justify the difficulty of the sand riding although James makes it look so easy :o

Offline jpcussen

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Nice trip  :drif:
jpcussen if you have the gps coordinates for the camp site next to the beach PLEASE send it to me or post it here.
I want to go camp there  ;D

Didnt take GPS with, but here is the rough location - but really anywhere along here you can stop and kip. GPS coord are in the bottom of the screen shot
If you are not falling, you are not trying hard enough.

2009 990R

Offline Piet

I struggled through this sand this morning - alone on my heavily laden KLR with a VERY worn rear tyre. Needless to say I am exhausted - don't attempt this ride without proper knobblies! That 990 makes it look easy, well done!

Online Kamanya

• Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Andrew to everyone
That's the way to do it!

Nicely done.
I wonder where that gravel road goes? And that, has usually made all the difference. (Apologies to Mr Frost)

You want to have a stable Picture & Video host?

https://secure.smugmug.com/signup.mg?Coupon=7ovFBQhdrwnZw

Offline Brandt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Thanks again, I have put this on my bucket list  :thumleft:

Offline jpcussen

• Race Dog
That's the way to do it!

Nicely done.

Learnt from the best : )

2009 990R

Offline jpcussen

• Race Dog
I struggled through this sand this morning - alone on my heavily laden KLR with a VERY worn rear tyre. Needless to say I am exhausted - don't attempt this ride without proper knobblies! That 990 makes it look easy, well done!

Was hard work - you can hear how we were battling for traction when pulling away, especially when loaded. Once you get up some speed its much easier, you just need to keep it up! Some of the deepest softest sand I have ridden. It was 1pm so there are no shadows to show the depth of that tweespoor. There we 2 KLR's on this trip and they both did bloody well, knobby will definitely help though bud!

2009 990R

Offline Piet

Was hard work - you can hear how we were battling for traction when pulling away, especially when loaded. Once you get up some speed its much easier, you just need to keep it up! Some of the deepest softest sand I have ridden. It was 1pm so there are no shadows to show the depth of that tweespoor. There we 2 KLR's on this trip and they both did bloody well, knobby will definitely help though bud!

Yes, I also covered some distance once I got speed, but the bike would literally not get away in 1st gear. I had to pull away in 2nd, full throttle and helping to push with my feet, and then once I've got speed (usually only at a downhill) I could shift to third where I made good progress. Still some intense concentration though!