Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: AMAGEZA 2013 RULES AND TECH SPECS Q&A  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
Re: AMAGEZA 2013 RULES AND TECH SPECS Q&A
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 03:03:16 pm »
err, but you  have the option to only pay your 1st payment in March  ???

I wish I understood anything else you said, but I don't

You really have to read the web-site Fuzzy. Go check under the 'About' section under 'Events' -> 'Amageza Rallye 2013'. Read the paragraph with the heading 'Payment Plan'.

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 03:07:59 pm »
R3k deposit by riders by month end
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 03:21:48 pm »
oh well. so much for having a few months to get sponsors.

I had some lekker sponsors lined up but had a few doors close today.. aargh.

Note to self.. get a sponsor by the 3rd.  :thumleft:

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 03:24:28 pm »
err, but you  have the option to only pay your 1st payment in March  ???

I wish I understood anything else you said, but I don't

You really have to read the web-site Fuzzy. Go check under the 'About' section under 'Events' -> 'Amageza Rallye 2013'. Read the paragraph with the heading 'Payment Plan'.

no man, do you know where I got confused.. there is a payment thing where if you pay everything by a certain date you get a discount.. I must have been thinking of that. I think you get like a R200 discount on the GPS unit of you pay by March.

Oh, well.. no balls no glory.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Camelman

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • If it was easy, everyone would do it.
    • Amageza Rallye
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 03:37:39 pm »
Sorry fuzzy. I know before the silly season its hard to fork out dough. But I have to order the GPS's from over-sea for the Amageza, and I just cannot commit money without knowing if there are any entrants.

As it stands I'm having a tough time, and I need the competitors to commit, else they cannot expect me to commit! There is a m@er of a recce still ahead, and I'll rather spend it on the beach than digging though sand in December!  :-\

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 03:43:28 pm »
I fully understand

Just paid the R3k

It is a small price to pay to cross something off the bucket list  :laughing4:

If I can help in any way please let me know.

Offline clutch

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2012, 03:44:07 pm »
The bug has bitten me and maybe the closest i will get to my Dakar dream. I am starting to look at a bike which I can build and enter 2014, looking at a KTM 450 (to get it to a KTM450 Rally). Maybe one stupid question? It sas the bike must be road legal, does this mean road registered(road worthy/on the road/licensed etc.)?

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2012, 06:36:43 pm »
The bug has bitten me and maybe the closest i will get to my Dakar dream. I am starting to look at a bike which I can build and enter 2014, looking at a KTM 450 (to get it to a KTM450 Rally). Maybe one stupid question? It sas the bike must be road legal, does this mean road registered(road worthy/on the road/licensed etc.)?

yes, you will have to ride the bike on a public road

Why 2014.. you skipped 2013  ???, it is 10 months away, more than enough time to buy a bike  :thumleft:

Offline clutch

• Pack Dog
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 11:21:34 am »
Fuzzy that will be first prize 2013!!! I have to sell some other toys to get the bike ready. If my understanding is correct, can I still enter before the final payment date of June 2013, if so, and I can get geared up, I will be in for 2013!!! :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline clutch

• Pack Dog
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 11:23:10 am »
PS: I will have a hell of a lot to do and learn before then!!! Only positive, I am rather in shape, it's just getting the right bike and getting it set up!!!

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2012, 11:58:01 am »
Fuzzy that will be first prize 2013!!! I have to sell some other toys to get the bike ready. If my understanding is correct, can I still enter before the final payment date of June 2013, if so, and I can get geared up, I will be in for 2013!!! :thumleft: :thumleft:

yeah the information on the website is confusing, I also thought that.. however you have to register and pay your 1st R3000 deposit by the 4th Dec.. this allows the organisers to see how many people are interested and entering, then you have until June to make final payments.

It does mean that you have to comit for something happening next year oct, so it takes commitment but if you look at what it takes to organise these events it is well worth it.

Hope to see you there

Muz

Offline Rolling Stone

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2012, 11:45:48 pm »
does anyone know what we need to do in terms of bike Insurance, life insurance and medical aid seing that it is now going to be a race? if I understand correctly

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2012, 12:06:06 am »
Regarding life insurance I completed a disclaimer, as I also increased my disability cover, Discovery have a form you fill out regarding motorsport, they assess the risk and may load your premium accordingly.

Just check with your medical aid if they cover you or else you can just use the MSA insurance when you take out your single license for the event, you either have to show that your medical aid covers you or else you have to take out the MSA medical aid. In my case when myself or my boy races I get hold of discovery and they e-mail me a letter stating that we are covered to show event organisers

Bike insurance I still have to investigate.

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2012, 02:28:38 pm »
Sub

WRT sharing a service crew, I have a Cruiser 78 and a 3m trailer which may come in handy if people want to go this route.

Where can I find the list of technical requirements?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:01:58 pm by DeepBass9 »

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2012, 04:42:00 pm »
the rules on the website are quite helpful regarding the rules of the service crew.

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2012, 04:46:04 pm »
Maybe an amageza for dummies thread is required...

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2012, 05:13:00 pm »
yeah, look, it is early days, the event is only in Oct, I am sure more information will be made available next year, in the mean time all you need to know is this

Assistance Crew:

Eligible Vehicles:
All standard 4x4 petrol and diesel off-road vehicles, with no more than 4 wheels.
At the start of the race, Amageza reserve the right to refuse the entry of all vehicles which appear not to be suitable or which do not correspond to the vehicle declared. No change will be possible after the scrutineering.
Assistance vehicles entered in the car category must not measure more than 2.50 m high (roof rack included) on pain of not being allowed to enter.
Vehicles must be licensed and road-worthy.
Proof of insurance is required.

Crews:
Admissible, upon invitation, all persons over 18 years of age.
Crews must be composed of two persons.
No changes to assistance crew members will be allowed once scrutineering has been passed, under pain of a R500 fine, per infringement, per crew member; except for those persons entered as Team Managers, or if authorised due to exceptional circumstance by the Organizers.
Only under exceptional circumstances, and then only with permission from the Organizers may a assistance vehicle continue with one person.
Any infractions will incur disqualification from the race of the assistance vehicle.

Entries:
All “assistance” entries must be attached to a competitor in the race to be accepted.

Identification:                 
A specific paper, considered as an identity card, and featuring the names and photographs of crew members, must be displayed on one of the windows of vehicles throughout the entire length of the event (size A5).
An identification bracelet will be given to each member of an assistance crew, at the administrative checks in Kimberley.                         
This bracelet will be required to enter the bivouacs.

Allocation of Race Numbers:
Numbers will be attributed at the discretion of the Organising Committee.

Start Order:         
During the race, starts will be free, except on some legs where start times will be imposed and written on the time schedule handed out to the participants at the administrative checks in Kimberley.

Checking In:
Assistance vehicles will be allowed to leave the race the day before the last stage so as to go to Kimberley. This authorisation will be given by the man in charge of the Assistance, on request.

GPS:
Every assistance vehicle has to have one GPS.
The GPS must always be on when the vehicle is moving during the whole duration of the race.
All trip-logs should be archived on the device and be available on request by the Organizer, on pain of a fine and up to disqualification.

Road book:
Each crew will receive a paper road book during administrative checks.

Itinerary:
The following of the itinerary, as described in the road book is compulsory. Vehicles must follow the entirety of each stage on pain of exclusion. They may not avoid a stage and then return to the race, unless they make a specific request to the man in charge of the Assistance category. 

Failure to respect the itinerary will incur the following penalties:
First offence:                 Fine of R500.
Second offence:         Fine of R800.
Third offence:                 Exclusion

Offline Bill the Bong

• Coffee Monster
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 09:25:11 am »
These are the new rules for GPSs:
  Any GPS may be used as long as it conforms to the following conditions:
  Not older than 5 years.
  Is manufactured by Garmin.
  Has a mini-USB port.
  Tracks are downloadable to Garmin Mapsource from the device.
  The device has the capability to store 10 000 points

Any recommendations?  Must be waterproof as well...

Offline Rickus

« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2012, 09:37:28 am »
I have the Montana 600....worked great this year and it is rugged !!!, it survived a fall in the bushes that cracked the screen cover and it survived a nasty rollover in the Cruiser....it does look very worse for wear, but it still works perfectly...the car suction cup bracket did not survive the accident though. :thumleft:

OMVAL EN OPTEL.....

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2012, 10:01:39 am »
arg so my eTrex  Venture HC needs to be replaced >.<
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/