Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Will this bike handle what I'm asking of it  (Read 851 times)

Offline mongol

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Will this bike handle what I'm asking of it
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:41:33 pm »
Hey guys,

New to this forum, I know its primarily a dirt bike forum, but I know a lot of you guys probably ride on the road too.

Hoping that some of you guys have experience with the CBX 250.

I have had a KLR 650 for years and commuted on it, but I don't want to destroy it by commuting on it every day.

I have to commute to Midrand from the west rand and will be doing the bulk of my trip on the N14 to Pretoria.

Some of my concerns about the CBX 250 are, does it have the grunt to safely ride on a highway like that every day?

My other concern is that I will rack up big mileage on the bike, 20k + km per year, so not sure how long the bike will last.

Have been considering something bigger, but then I will have to go second hand which I am not wild about as my budget only allows me to buy something in the price range of a new CBX 250.

So, my questions are to all the CBX owners (or anyone with some experience with them), how would a Twister measure up to this, could it handle the highway no problem, and how would it hold up to big mileages - could I expect it to still be going strong after 50-60K Km+ ? (Obviously assuming ample maintenance is done)?

Any feedback from you guys who have experience with  twisters would be great,

Thanks

Offline iamgigglz

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
Re: Will this bike handle what I'm asking of it
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 02:09:31 pm »
Welcome!

That Twister motor is invincible; it'll last ages and makes for a perfect high mileage commuter. There's a mass debate ( ::)) going on on various other forums about what bikes are safe on the highway.

In my opinion you need to be able to comfortably do 140 to be safe on the highway. That way you can accelerate from 120kph in a healthy manner if a situation demands it. I've never ridden a Twister, but I reckon you're better off sticking with your KLR.

Drop the extra cash into regular maintenance and maybe a bigger front sprocket to drop the revs and that bike will go for ever.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline Derik

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 03:02:40 pm »
Saw one of them the other day with 80000km, no problems. A delivery bike, we all know how they drive.
XR125L, sold 2012
'06 KLR 650 Fugly aka SAMIL, sold
2012 Tiger 800 “roadie”

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 03:10:44 pm »
My nephews best friend has one, varsity student. Lives 20 km's outside of Springs and studies in Pta. His Twister is going on about 80000 km's now and still going.

They handle the mileage well and just keeps on going.
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline knightrat

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:52:50 pm »
Rode with a dude on a twister to graskop and back..  struggled to do much more than 110. it was ridden pretty much flat out the whole way and it never missed a beat.. think it also had like 40 000+ km on it..

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 06:58:50 pm »
Welcome!

That Twister motor is invincible; it'll last ages and makes for a perfect high mileage commuter. There's a mass debate ( ::)) going on on various other forums about what bikes are safe on the highway.

In my opinion you need to be able to comfortably do 140 to be safe on the highway. That way you can accelerate from 120kph in a healthy manner if a situation demands it. I've never ridden a Twister, but I reckon you're better off sticking with your KLR.

Drop the extra cash into regular maintenance and maybe a bigger front sprocket to drop the revs and that bike will go for ever.

^ this
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:59:25 pm by Bundu »

Offline XL1000

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 07:11:10 pm »
Suzuki GS500F

http://motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/suzu/suzuki_gs500f%2004.htm

Great bike with better weather protection and a Die Hard motor...
Can find them for around R25K with low km's and you can easily do 20K plus per year from many years.
You will also get out of trouble with the extra torque easier than with the CBX250.
I recently sold one to a forum member and told him highway use was not ideal. The CBX that is.

Based on the successful GS500, Suzuki proudly introduces the 2004 Suzuki GS500F. The new GS500F blends all the reliability and performance of the original machine with an aggressive new look and feel for 2004.

The most distinctive feature of the new GS500F is its fully enclosed fairing, which provides a more aggressive appearance and sportier character. The new fairing features a pair of vertically stacked headlights that bear a striking resemblance to those on the hugely popular GSX-R1000. On either side of the bike, the new fairing incorporates two sharply styled vents feeding fresh air to the engine. Handsome custom cutouts further enhance cooling efficiency, while still showing off the attractive engine cases. Remarkable new looks aside, the new fairing also offers the GS500F rider improved wind protection for improved overall effectiveness of the motorcycle.

The GS500F is powered by a venerable yet reliable four-stroke, 487cc parallel-twin engine. Fed by dual 34mm Mikuni carburetors, the air-cooled motor is lightweight and compact with an abundance of low-rpm torque for easy riding and versatile performance. An easy-shifting six-speed transmission provides plenty of performance.

Supporting the GS500F is a black painted rigid box-section frame with a single shock suspension. A single hydraulic disc with four-piston caliper provides reliable braking in front, while a dual-piston caliper-and-disc combo is mounted out back.

Make Model

Suzuki GS 500F
Year

Engine

Air cooled, four stroke, parallel twin cylinder, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
Capacity

Bore x Stroke   74 x 56.6 mm
Compression Ratio   9.0:1
Induction

2x 34mm Mikuni BSR34SS
Ignition  /  Starting

Digital transistorized
Max Power

48 PS 35.1 KW @ 9200 rpm
Max Torque

40.0 Nm @ 7500 rpm
Transmission  /  Drive

6 Speed  /  chain
Front Suspension

Telescopic oil damped spring preload adjustable
Rear Suspension

Link type 7-way adjustable preload
Front Brakes

Single 310mm disc 4 piston caliper
Rear Brakes

Single 250mm disc 2 piston caliper
Front Tyre

110/70-17
Rear Tyre

130/70-17
Dry-Weight

180 kg
Fuel Capacity

20 Litres
Overview

Motormag

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 07:12:10 pm by XL1000 »

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 08:12:12 pm »
traded my 2012 cbx250 in for a crf250l today. the cbx is a nice commuter but you are going to sit in the
100- 120 km/h bracket with not much ooomph to go any faster. around town and the byways the cbx is
fun and good. if 140 km/h is a must look for something bigger

Offline goblin

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 10:30:42 pm »
I had one for just over 2 years and had 40 000 km on the clock when I sold it.

The issues I had was:
- With a strong head wind, I could only get about 80 km/h ....
- The service interval is every 3 000km. 
- VERY expensive air filter. (Do yourself a favour and get a quote... ;-) )
- The first model that came out (back it 2007) had a non o-ring chain. This caused some damage when one of the links ceased. I had to replace the axle, wheel bearings and the chain tension mechanism. I don't know if that's still the case though.

Other than that there were no issues at all. The bike just kept going and the performance stayed the same. I also did my bike license with it and still thinks the reason for passing it the first time was due to the bike.

My opinion.... get a bigger bike. This is more an in-town sort of bike and not really good for highway riding.

Offline UncleAl

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 11:12:15 pm »
Self op 'n CBX. Doen so 10k per jaar. Great fietsie vir in die stad, selfs met my 110kg's daarop. Sterk genoeg om voor die verkeer te bly, veral met die wegtrek by die robot. Klein genoeg om tussen die verkeer deur te gaan waar die groter fietse moet halt roep.  Ekonomies - beslis!  Beste 34,1km/l   Slegste 26.4km/l

Snelweg . .  140km/h . . . Nee wat, soek maar iets met groter enjin.  Normaalweg hou ek so by 110 op die snelweg.  Het al 150 op die klok gehad teen Cotswold se afdraande maar die fiets voel nie gemaklik daar nie.  Target kloof se draaie teen 110 sit elke keer die smile op my bakkies terug (die permanente kamera daar werk mos nie meer nie a.g.v. die affirmative action).

Ek diens elke 5000km en gebruik vol sintetiese olie. Het nog net bande vervang. Sal seker so binne die volgende 2 dienste die ketting moet vervang want ek sien die stelplek raak nou min.
Al modifikasie wat ek gedoen het was om 'n ekstra petrolfiltertjie net voor die Carb in te sit.
O ja, moes die hooflig se gloeilamp al 'n keer vervang.  Hoef nog nooit die olie tussen dienste op te top nie.

As die Baai se erge winde die slag waai wonder jy soms of die remme dan nou ewe skielik vasslaan voor die ou perd haar kop maar weer optel en voorbeur in een rat laer.

Sterkte met jou soeke.
Dont kick a dwog and expect him to lick your wounds afterwards.

Offline Teapot

• "Ride long Live forever"
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • "RIDE LONG AND LIVE FOREVER"
    • http://www.digitalrealitydesigns.yolasite.com
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 07:19:30 am »
Its the perfect student bike and in around town commuter but I wouldn't do the highways. When I had a 250 I used to travel from Benoni to Sandton on it abd it was super stressfull on the freeways. Got a 650 Dakar and I travel gravel and black stuff on it. Commute and have no issues. Although now I want something bigger. :)
"FALL DOWN 7, STAND UP 8."
"NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SAY DIE!"