Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Speeding  (Read 2444 times)

Offline Slingervel

Speeding
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:04:35 am »
Hey guys,

I would like to tell you guys about a recent situation I got myself into wrt speeding and the law.
Although this happened to me whilst driving a car, the same rules apply for bikers.

I was caught doing 128km/h in an 80 zone.
Unfortunately for me it wasn't a fine I received through the post, but in this case it was a pig sitting on the side of the road waiting for me.
Now I am not sure which laws are applicable for which areas but what I do know is that if you exceed 30km/h over the speed limit in the East Rand you will get arrested.
And that is exactly what happened to me.
All of this happened on a Sunday morning. R1000 later I was released on bail only to appear in court on Monday morning.
No time to find a lawyer and I had to make my plea first thing in the morning.
The problem is that if you plead guilty you get a criminal record against you name.
I know it's not much - seeing that the offence you're being charged with is for: "Speeding" and "Reckles & Negligent Driving" - but still, it might affect things in future.

So, to cut a long story short, I applied for what is called "a Diversion Program" through the state prosecutor. How it works is that they find a way to "divert" your case away from the court but obviously at a cost, in my case I had to donate R6000 to the SPCA which in return you do not get a criminal record.

So this whole episode cost me a lot of money and stress.

Oh, I have to mention that these guys are out there to catch speedsters because they have proof of the pigs' competency to use the speed cameras and also have the calibration certificates for their devices. They have also got police dockets with them, already filled in and when they catch you they only have to fill in the variables on the docket (Your details, speed etc.)

So, if you DO speed, speed safe and don't get caught.  :)

Offline jagter

Re: Speeding
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 10:09:27 am »
Eish.  Some food for thought.

Some 80 zones are truly ridiculous though, especially in the Western Cape.  Double lane highway, no entrances or exits. and then they make it 80. 

Offline iamgigglz

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • The Hula hoop is Dead. Long live the Hula hoop.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:12:48 am »
...in my case I had to donate R6000 to the SPCA which in return you do not get a criminal record...

LOVE it! Sure, that's a hefty chunk of cash, but I'd rather see it going t the SPCA than into some government employee's pocket.

My plate fell off somewhere along the off-road section of my Free State ride last weekend; I've had a number of photos of my ass in the air since then. Getting a new plate today  :-\

Thanks for the post. Definitely good food for thought.
Bensien - Wife came home today with a Samsung 3D LED TV and 3D Blue Ray player with built in wi-fi and 1TB hard drive. What else do I need?
Kaboef - A cheaper wife.

Offline TeeJay

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 10:14:46 am »
You broke the law dude....and got caught by a police officer doing his job....referring to him as a pig does not help. You break the law you will get caught....eventually.
Ja/Nee

Offline Scribble

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • RIP Coco thanks for the great times
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:25:50 am »
Ive got a court appearance in PE early next year for very similar scenario have been losing some sleep over it
will look into this cheers
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Slingervel

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 10:31:25 am »
Eish.  Some food for thought.

Some 80 zones are truly ridiculous though, especially in the Western Cape.  Double lane highway, no entrances or exits. and then they make it 80. 

Jy's heeltemal reg Jagter. Daai spesifieke pad was 2 bane in beide rigtins met 'n eiland tussen hulle, geen residentiele- of komersiele ontwikkelinge en/of sy-strate naby nie. Die ergste van als is, die baan in die ander rigting het bordjies op wat 'n spoed limiet van 100km/h aanwys.

Offline Slingervel

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 10:35:44 am »
...in my case I had to donate R6000 to the SPCA which in return you do not get a criminal record...

LOVE it! Sure, that's a hefty chunk of cash, but I'd rather see it going t the SPCA than into some government employee's pocket.

My plate fell off somewhere along the off-road section of my Free State ride last weekend; I've had a number of photos of my ass in the air since then. Getting a new plate today  :-\

Thanks for the post. Definitely good food for thought.

Haha!! Funny story!! Convenient though.
True! At least I can claim a 14% back from the taxman. That's R840!!
(If I'm not mistaken you can claim VAT back if you've given money for a charity)

Offline Slingervel

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 10:37:17 am »
Ive got a court appearance in PE early next year for very similar scenario have been losing some sleep over it
will look into this cheers

Shout if you need help...
And good luck!

Offline Lear300

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 10:59:55 am »
on the east rand? What raod were you on?

Offline skydiver

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 11:01:50 am »
You broke the law dude....and got caught by a police officer doing his job....referring to him as a pig does not help. You break the law you will get caught....eventually.
I agree. Some WD's might have careers in the law enforcement environment and might not appreciate being refered to as pigs.  ???
Sold: Yamaha PW80, Honda MT5, Honda XR200, Kawazaki KDX200, Yamaha TTR250, Yamaha XT660R, BMW F800, BMW F650GS, Yamaha XT660Z, CRF230F
Current: NC750X

Offline Slingervel

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 11:04:34 am »
on the east rand? What raod were you on?

On the Benoni Rd, the R23 towards the N17 just before Athlone Street.

Offline Slingervel

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 11:05:28 am »
I agree. Some WD's might have careers in the law enforcement environment and might not appreciate being refered to as pigs.  ???

True.
My apologies for my pig "pig" comment.

Offline Stormer

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 11:11:02 am »
My brother had the same thing in Secunda earlier in the year. Something like 103 in a 60 zone. In court they were given 2 choices. Pay R10 000 or take a days leave and go and work at a charity crechè the 2 days later. He had the weekend off so he took the work.
"While the Swiss may have invented the clock it’s good old Mama Africa that owns the time." - Kingsley Holgate - Afrika The Outside Edge

Offline Beemer Mike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Preserve the Wild Dog (in formaldehyde)!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 11:18:05 am »

True.

So one "pig" does his job and we must now talk nicely about them??? Sorry boet but 1. WDs are nice people so no "pigs" could ever be WDs, and 2. "Pig" is probably the nicest way that I or many others could describe them.

I could, as I have done before, describe them truly but I will probably get warned or banned for language, even if it is true!
BMW 1150 GSA
Honda XR 650 L
BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 11:30:52 am »
Why now 30kph over limit?

It was always 60, then reduced to 40 not very long ago, has it been reduced AGAIN to 30 over limit??

I got R4000 fine for 221 in a 120 zone, I think you guys got shafted  :laughing4:   :laughing4:

When I was caught lock up speed was 180 though, then later it became 160. And now 150 ??

Offline vigilant

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 11:42:28 am »
Hey guys,

So, if you DO speed, speed safe and don't get caught.  :)

Couple of points:
The "justice" meted out to you was against the Rome statute of which sa is a signatory, it relates to using imprisonment as punishment, and is an abuse of the justice system, which demands that only people who are a flight risk or a danger are held for any period. Even bail is an insult, and presumes guilt.
30km/h over the limit is arbitrary, and doesn't relate to anything, not least of which AARTO, which isn't aplicable in the east rand yet.
Paying a R6000 "donation" in return for a clear criminal record is extortion, and defeating the ends of justice.
Reck and neg requires evidence, like the registration number of a motorist endangered by your actions, was any provided?

This "law" is fine print in the subcontract you have within another contract. At no point can it pretend to be "justice", "safety" or "lawful". Sticking your elbow out the window is the same as speeding. It's a gimmick.

Sorry dude, you're not the criminal in this story. You're the "mark".

Ride the lightning

Offline Slingervel

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 11:45:14 am »
Why now 30kph over limit?

It was always 60, then reduced to 40 not very long ago, has it been reduced AGAIN to 30 over limit??

I got R4000 fine for 221 in a 120 zone, I think you guys got shafted  :laughing4:   :laughing4:

When I was caught lock up speed was 180 though, then later it became 160. And now 150 ??

Like I said, I am not sure what the law states.
What I have also heard is it's 30km/h in suburbs and 40km/h on highways. How true that statement is, I'm not sure.
And like I said, it also depends on the area you're caught in. Different municipalities have different tolerances on their speed limits.
And I think it also depends if you get caught by camera or on the spot.
One of the policemen at the station said I was unlucky (for being caught on the spot) compared to guys that's being caught on camera because I'm actually being sued by the Metro Police whereas other guys get sent a fine through the mail and they can just pay the fine.
No fingerprints taken or dockets opened for them.
Well, I've definitely learnt my lesson.

Offline Gat Slag

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 11:45:50 am »
 :sip:

Offline Eendstop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Too many fools around
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 12:11:50 pm »
I agree. Some WD's might have careers in the law enforcement environment and might not appreciate being refered to as pigs.  ???

True.

So one "pig" does his job and we must now talk nicely about them??? Sorry boet but 1. WDs are nice people so no "pigs" could ever be WDs, and 2. "Pig" is probably the nicest way that I or many others could describe them.

I could, as I have done before, describe them truly but I will probably get warned or banned for language, even if it is true!

I just got phoned by a client of mine who is a pig farmer. There seems to be a protest on the farm. The animals demand immediate and unconditional retraction of the reference to their species or they will sue for defamation. Seemingly they insist that they make a POSITIVE  contribution to humankind. :imaposer:
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:13:02 pm by Eendstop »
Thought so, tough behind a keyboard, but no balls.......

Offline bronzy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • the older i get the faster i was !!!
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 12:14:43 pm »
I got caught doing 120 in a 80 zone cost me lunch for the officers.  :thumleft: