Speeding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slingervel

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Hey guys,

I would like to tell you guys about a recent situation I got myself into wrt speeding and the law.
Although this happened to me whilst driving a car, the same rules apply for bikers.

I was caught doing 128km/h in an 80 zone.
Unfortunately for me it wasn't a fine I received through the post, but in this case it was a pig sitting on the side of the road waiting for me.
Now I am not sure which laws are applicable for which areas but what I do know is that if you exceed 30km/h over the speed limit in the East Rand you will get arrested.
And that is exactly what happened to me.
All of this happened on a Sunday morning. R1000 later I was released on bail only to appear in court on Monday morning.
No time to find a lawyer and I had to make my plea first thing in the morning.
The problem is that if you plead guilty you get a criminal record against you name.
I know it's not much - seeing that the offence you're being charged with is for: "Speeding" and "Reckles & Negligent Driving" - but still, it might affect things in future.

So, to cut a long story short, I applied for what is called "a Diversion Program" through the state prosecutor. How it works is that they find a way to "divert" your case away from the court but obviously at a cost, in my case I had to donate R6000 to the SPCA which in return you do not get a criminal record.

So this whole episode cost me a lot of money and stress.

Oh, I have to mention that these guys are out there to catch speedsters because they have proof of the pigs' competency to use the speed cameras and also have the calibration certificates for their devices. They have also got police dockets with them, already filled in and when they catch you they only have to fill in the variables on the docket (Your details, speed etc.)

So, if you DO speed, speed safe and don't get caught.  :)