Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Suzuki DR650SE - the bottomless thread  (Read 14978 times)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Suzuki DR650SE - the bottomless thread
« on: October 22, 2007, 03:32:03 pm »
First: A few considerations.

1. The Tank ‚?? At 13litres, the tank won‚??t give you much of a range. It is fine for playing around near town but you can forget about longer trips. Consider getting a long range tank.
Decision: 30litre Aqualine Safari tank imported from Australia.

2. Carrier rack ‚?? It doesn‚??t have one. Either order one from Suzuki, grab one off an old DR or build your own one from scratch.
Decision: Planning to construct one with the help of a friend.

3. Chain roller ‚?? Violent swings from the chain can rip off the roller and tear a hole in the frame. Suzuki addressed the problem by screwing the pin of the roller into the frame as opposed to welding it on. Rather err on the side of caution by removing altogether.
Decision: Removal of offending plastic spinnamajig.

4. Silencer ‚?? It‚??s not called that for nothing. The bike is quiet enough to stalk kudu with. Replace the stock part with an aftermarket pipe if you want to free the decibels but prepare to sacrifice entry into national parks or farms where the owners prefer quiet.
Decision: Retain stock pipe until such time as ridicule becomes unbearable or an offer for a free Yoshimura.

5. Rear foot pegs ‚?? Whatever for? It‚??s not like you can actually lift anyone unless both rider and pillion are anorexic lovers with a fondness for bumping crotch to buttocks! Remove the pegs.
Decision: Pegs placed in cotton wool, preserved for future generations.

6. Chain guard ‚?? By removing the chain roller you increase the risk that the chain will eat the chain guard. Once it starts to receive cuts, it is time to modify it. Cut away a part of it to remove the risk that it will be completely destroyed by the angry chain.
Decision: Untouched, eagerly awaiting imminent failure of part.

7. Tyre valve ‚?? That valve is as stiff as a Malaysian boy whore. You probably will have some trouble getting the air hose in between the spokes to inflate it. If you can, consider getting a curved extender or a tube fitted with a curved valve stem.
Decision: Currently investigating alternatives.

8. Centre stand ‚?? It would have been nice if the bike had one. There are several available as aftermarket parts but you lose ground clearance. A shame.
Decision: Will make do with plastic crates, large stones, tyre levers, etc.

9. Handlebars ‚?? If you don‚??t crash they should be fine. If you are a short person they should be fine. If you like ugly plumbing they should be fine. Otherwise, get something decent like Pro-taper ATV Hi bars. A cinch to install and well worth the money.
Decision: Replaced with Pro-Taper ATV Hi bars ‚?? my wife deliberately mispronounces the name as Pro-tappet!

10. Hand guards ‚?? Laughable. The only function the serve is to confuse airborne pollen and inconvenience flies. I highly recommend replacing them. Their tendency to flap in the wind could even cause them to be dangerous.
Decision: Replaced with Polisport guards. Still reeling from paying R420 for two pieces of plastic.

11. Headlight ‚?? Adequate but uninspiring. I plan to install evil twin headlamps which will aid me in my quest to make children cry and send little old ladies to an early grave.
Decision: Scouting for replacement lights as we speak.

12. Steering head bearings ‚?? I have been advised that Suzuki over tighten these. In some cases the head bearing is damaged due to this act of stupidity. If your steering feels heavy there is a good chance that yours will fail if you don‚??t have it looked at.
Decision: Mine feels fine. Do not need adjustment.

13. Side on reflectors ‚?? What‚??s that all about? Are we in kindergarten? What else is in the box, training wheels? Sure they add safety, but so does a flashing orange light strapped to your helmet! Remove it.
Decision: Removed. Attached to a blind woman‚??s guide dog. Saved a life!

14. Carb ‚?? These things are often outsourced to the Australian Rugby Society for Inebriants (ARSE...dyslexic, I know) for tuning. Either they run too lean and you have to tweak the jet or the idling screw is set wrong and you have to turn up the flow.
Decision: Adjusted idling screw, engine purrs like a kitten.

15. Headers ‚?? Sweet lord the pipe gets hot! And when it gets hot the engine gets hot. After a few minutes your shins and toes start to experience a sensation know to Tibetan monks who pour petrol over themselves and strike a match. I‚??m getting header wraps, I don‚??t care if they are illegal. Either that or I‚??m getting ass-less chaps to protect my legs!
Decision: Searching for header wraps‚?¶chicken teeth.

16. Bash plate ‚?? Where is it? Did they forget to install it on my bike? I looked around and guess what I found: nobody else has them either. An unforgivable omission or corporate decision! Did they really need to save those couple of dollars on every bike? If they need money I‚??ll be happy to start a fund called ‚??Cradle Frame Benders Anonymous‚?Ě Just give the word!
Decision: Awaiting quote for bash plate. Considering alternatives like making my own.

17. Seat ‚?? Not listed in the above pic. I appear to have a heated seat installed. The seat warms up to an uncomfortable level after around 40km. After fruitlessly searching for the off switch I perused the manual but found no mention of such a device. At the time of writing I still have not discovered how the heating element works. It is getting a little annoying and I‚??m thinking of getting a sheep skin to isolate my butt from the burning sensation.

Stay tuned for more
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 03:34:34 pm by LuckyStriker »

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
General impressions of the DR650SE
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 03:34:09 pm »
At first glance: 0 to 300km on the odometer.

Dear diary. I think I‚??m going to cry. I miss my BMW so much.
I just took a short ride to the garage to fuel up the DR. I did not like the ride and came right back home.

Dear diary. I‚??m still terribly upset. I think I may have wasted a lot of money on something I don‚??t like. One of my colleagues said today that it looks like a piskriek. I briefly considered slashing my wrists but there is still so much beer to be drunk.

Dear diary. I am slowly coming round and escaping from my depression. The little DR did okay in the sand today. I didn‚??t wring its neck because the engine is still new but I sense great potential.

Dear diary. This is goodbye. I won‚??t be writing in you again. I‚??ll be out riding.

Yes it‚??s true. I didn‚??t like the DR at first. As I sat at the dealer, signing the forms and getting the keys I hated the bank for approving the deal. When someone asked me if I was excited about the bike I just nodded and said: ‚??Sure. It‚??s a nice bike‚?Ě

But after about three days the bike started to grow on me, much sooner than I suspected. I can now honestly say that I‚??m a happy chappie.
The only problem with the bike is the looks of pity I get from 1litre+ bike owners. Holy crap! Was I one of those people?
I suspect they think I‚??m too poor or stupid (or worse; scared) to own a ‚??proper‚?? bike. I can rant all day, citing situations where I will ride rings around their bikes but I won‚??t. It‚??s a futile exercise. I remember my own state of mind when I had a big bike. How many times did I feel pity for thumper owners. When they told me of the benefits of ‚??smaller‚?? bikes I simply indulged them. I was such a twatwaffle.

Even magazines overlook them. Both TopBike and 2Wheels have lists in the back but no mention of the DR is given. It simply doesn‚??t exist. When you buy accessories and the merchant ask what bike you have they invariably say that they didn‚??t know Suzuki made a 650 street scrambler.
But trust me when I tell you these 650 thumpers are the perfect DS bike, the same goes for the Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, KTM, etc. of the same class. I won‚??t explain why I say so. Those who own them will understand and those who don‚??t will be deaf to the arguments.

I will use this thread to keep you updated on the life of my DR650SE.
I‚??ll report back on everything that breaks, the costs involved in pimping it up, the services and what they entail, etc.
I don‚??t know much about the bike and as I learn something new I‚??ll share it with those who bother to follow the thread.
Feel free to add any info or questions you have as well as pics and stories of your own DR.
Please don‚??t hijack the thread with opinions that have nothing to do with the DR650.

There, I‚??ve typed too much for a first post already. Be that as it may, stay tuned for more
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 03:35:05 pm by LuckyStriker »

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
Re: Suzuki DR650SE - the bottomless thread
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 03:37:38 pm »
Lucystricker,i "ve said it before,theres not much that looks the part like a pimped DR 650-awesome!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 03:41:56 pm »
Lucystricker,i "ve said it before,theres not much that looks the part like a pimped DR 650-awesome!

hope your wife's name is not lucy.

I am looking forward to this thread, i think your bike already looks the bee'z whole leg with only the tank fitted...roll on mods..

shark_za

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 03:42:47 pm »
Woohoo! 
This will be one of my regular visits on the site.

Offline growweblaar

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 03:45:42 pm »
Hehehe  ;D

Keep it comin, LS!

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2007, 03:48:33 pm »
The " What's next for Luckystriker " thread is now officially dead !!!

Long live the new Luckystriker thread !!!          :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 03:58:36 pm »
Very interesting. My sister has one, (she's 6"1', so no, it is not a girl's bike ;D) I'm hoping she will sell it soon so that I can buy it, I'm seriously considering one of those DR's.
The GSA will stay though, or until I REALLY get gatvol of BMW's attitude and trade it for a Katoom.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 04:01:53 pm »
I too will be following with interest. 

Question = how is the standard fork springs holding up to the added weight of the tank (i.e. when full with petrol) and are you considering fitting stiffer springs?

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 04:07:42 pm »
What about a screen?

Have you given it any thought?
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2007, 04:11:30 pm »
LS if I may I shall try and comment on some of your points since I did research and compare the DR when I decided to buy the KLR - and truth be told there's not a lot between them.

# 4 Silencer - I take your point, but at least the DR's one is s/s not the heavy iron one of the KLR
# 5 Rear Pegs - you may use them to hook your legs around on LONG uncomfortable trips - ask me I know  ;D - also to tie fuel/water canisters too - as some members done before
# 17 Seat - check if the heat sync is not warming up the seat?

Screens - I found you must either get a very tall one (11 inches plus) or not bother.  The slightly taller ones will just direct the wind on to your helmet instead of your chest.

In general - you'll get used to the 'staring down in pity' stares - just smile and wave....  ;D

Hein

Ps I'm glad you starting to enjoy the DR - they are good bikes and will grow on you...

The following users thanked this post: rowat

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2007, 04:11:41 pm »
I too will be following with interest. 

Question = how is the standard fork springs holding up to the added weight of the tank (i.e. when full with petrol) and are you considering fitting stiffer springs?
I am not considering it at this time.
Firstly because the nose-dive is manageable. It is obviously worse than a BMW tele-lever but not as bad as some of the other thumpers I test rode.
Secondly, I don't fill the tank up to full. It would be pointless to carry that much fuel around town. So far the most I have poured in was about 20litres (just for the hell of it)

I will consider filling up with denser fork oil before investing in stiffer springs. So far the stock suspension absorb the bumps very nicely.

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 04:14:39 pm »
As to the header wrap, try the racing fraternity. Most racing cars I know of have their zorsts wrapped. I can get my hands on some, but it's up here in GP.

Btw. I like your new scoot much better than the old pig. Enjoy
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:16:01 pm by Groenie »
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007, 04:16:39 pm »
What about a screen?

I'll try it out but thus far it has not been a serious consideration. The wind from the front hits my torso square on. I have no helmet-shake, just a firm pressure against the upper body and neck.
I suspect my head will either eventually snap off due to structural fatigue or I will develop the required muscles.

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 04:21:11 pm »
Brian Bayley had a very nice Bash plate on his DR, not sure of the make, will find out.

Cannot see much of it though
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 04:35:33 pm by Welsh »
If I had a dollar for every girl that found me unattractive, they'd eventually find me attractive.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 04:22:17 pm »
# 4 Silencer - I take your point, but at least the DR's one is s/s not the heavy iron one of the KLR
# 5 Rear Pegs - you may use them to hook your legs around on LONG uncomfortable trips - ask me I know  ;D - also to tie fuel/water canisters too - as some members done before
# 17 Seat - check if the heat sync is not warming up the seat?

# 4 - Perhaps, the DR's silencer looks pretty substantial. Comparing the two might be like two lepers comparing on who has the most severe infection.
# 5 - Good idea. I'll reconsider putting them on with much seriousness
# 17 - Heat sync? Are you saying I have Intel Inside? I would have guessed AMD

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 04:23:54 pm »
I will use this thread to keep you updated on the life of my DR650SE.
I‚??ll report back on everything that breaks, the costs involved in pimping it up, the services and what they entail, etc.
I don‚??t know much about the bike and as I learn something new I‚??ll share it with those who bother to follow the thread.
Feel free to add any info or questions you have as well as pics and stories of your own DR.
Please don‚??t hijack the thread with opinions that have nothing to do with the DR650.

Excellent!

What about a screen?

Have you seen the F650GS screen that Marlene put on hers ?

LS - keep it coming!
If Captain Slow did it for his KLR surely you can for the DR!
Looking forward to it
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 04:25:03 pm »
Btw. I like your new scoot much better than the old pig. Enjoy

Thank you...I think

BTW. I'll check out the racing fraternity... I think Sarel van der Merwe uses it to wax his mustache.

Offline Watty

• RIP 29-07-2011
  • Bike: Suzuki Djebel 250XC
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 04:30:32 pm »
Mr LuckyStricker, just a little thought.  What is your opinion of the very basic instrumentation that the stock DR650SE is blessed with? 

Replacing it with the one found on the Suzuki Djebel DR250XC (photo below) and some DRZ's would, IMHO, be nice.  It is a multi-function digital meter which adopts two trip meters in addition to the speedometer & odometer & stopwatch clock.  The second trip meter can also be programmed/set to count in reverse (down from a preset value).

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2007, 04:35:02 pm »
17 - Heat sync? Are you saying I have Intel Inside? I would have guessed AMD

Think you call it a rectifier - piece of metal with fins getting rid of the extra electricity in the form of heat the alternator produces.  Don't know about the DR, but the KLR sure have one.  Alternative it might just be the engin - I guess it will be hotter than the (very modern  ;D) KLR's watercooled motor.

H

Ps I can see a prized or should I say priced Corbin in your future.... ;D

PPs - Watty I would rather like a rev counter - I use that much more than a speedo?