Suzuki DR650SE - the bottomless thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyStriker

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
First: A few considerations.

mydr650sety6.jpg

1. The Tank â?? At 13litres, the tank wonâ??t give you much of a range. It is fine for playing around near town but you can forget about longer trips. Consider getting a long range tank.
Decision: 30litre Aqualine Safari tank imported from Australia.

2. Carrier rack â?? It doesnâ??t have one. Either order one from Suzuki, grab one off an old DR or build your own one from scratch.
Decision: Planning to construct one with the help of a friend.

3. Chain roller â?? Violent swings from the chain can rip off the roller and tear a hole in the frame. Suzuki addressed the problem by screwing the pin of the roller into the frame as opposed to welding it on. Rather err on the side of caution by removing altogether.
Decision: Removal of offending plastic spinnamajig.

4. Silencer â?? Itâ??s not called that for nothing. The bike is quiet enough to stalk kudu with. Replace the stock part with an aftermarket pipe if you want to free the decibels but prepare to sacrifice entry into national parks or farms where the owners prefer quiet.
Decision: Retain stock pipe until such time as ridicule becomes unbearable or an offer for a free Yoshimura.

5. Rear foot pegs â?? Whatever for? Itâ??s not like you can actually lift anyone unless both rider and pillion are anorexic lovers with a fondness for bumping crotch to buttocks! Remove the pegs.
Decision: Pegs placed in cotton wool, preserved for future generations.

6. Chain guard â?? By removing the chain roller you increase the risk that the chain will eat the chain guard. Once it starts to receive cuts, it is time to modify it. Cut away a part of it to remove the risk that it will be completely destroyed by the angry chain.
Decision: Untouched, eagerly awaiting imminent failure of part.

7. Tyre valve â?? That valve is as stiff as a Malaysian boy whore. You probably will have some trouble getting the air hose in between the spokes to inflate it. If you can, consider getting a curved extender or a tube fitted with a curved valve stem.
Decision: Currently investigating alternatives.

8. Centre stand â?? It would have been nice if the bike had one. There are several available as aftermarket parts but you lose ground clearance. A shame.
Decision: Will make do with plastic crates, large stones, tyre levers, etc.

9. Handlebars â?? If you donâ??t crash they should be fine. If you are a short person they should be fine. If you like ugly plumbing they should be fine. Otherwise, get something decent like Pro-taper ATV Hi bars. A cinch to install and well worth the money.
Decision: Replaced with Pro-Taper ATV Hi bars â?? my wife deliberately mispronounces the name as Pro-tappet!

10. Hand guards â?? Laughable. The only function the serve is to confuse airborne pollen and inconvenience flies. I highly recommend replacing them. Their tendency to flap in the wind could even cause them to be dangerous.
Decision: Replaced with Polisport guards. Still reeling from paying R420 for two pieces of plastic.

11. Headlight â?? Adequate but uninspiring. I plan to install evil twin headlamps which will aid me in my quest to make children cry and send little old ladies to an early grave.
Decision: Scouting for replacement lights as we speak.

12. Steering head bearings â?? I have been advised that Suzuki over tighten these. In some cases the head bearing is damaged due to this act of stupidity. If your steering feels heavy there is a good chance that yours will fail if you donâ??t have it looked at.
Decision: Mine feels fine. Do not need adjustment.

13. Side on reflectors â?? Whatâ??s that all about? Are we in kindergarten? What else is in the box, training wheels? Sure they add safety, but so does a flashing orange light strapped to your helmet! Remove it.
Decision: Removed. Attached to a blind womanâ??s guide dog. Saved a life!

14. Carb â?? These things are often outsourced to the Australian Rugby Society for Inebriants (ARSE...dyslexic, I know) for tuning. Either they run too lean and you have to tweak the jet or the idling screw is set wrong and you have to turn up the flow.
Decision: Adjusted idling screw, engine purrs like a kitten.

15. Headers â?? Sweet lord the pipe gets hot! And when it gets hot the engine gets hot. After a few minutes your shins and toes start to experience a sensation know to Tibetan monks who pour petrol over themselves and strike a match. Iâ??m getting header wraps, I donâ??t care if they are illegal. Either that or Iâ??m getting ass-less chaps to protect my legs!
Decision: Searching for header wrapsâ?¦chicken teeth.

16. Bash plate â?? Where is it? Did they forget to install it on my bike? I looked around and guess what I found: nobody else has them either. An unforgivable omission or corporate decision! Did they really need to save those couple of dollars on every bike? If they need money Iâ??ll be happy to start a fund called â??Cradle Frame Benders Anonymousâ? Just give the word!
Decision: Awaiting quote for bash plate. Considering alternatives like making my own.

17. Seat â?? Not listed in the above pic. I appear to have a heated seat installed. The seat warms up to an uncomfortable level after around 40km. After fruitlessly searching for the off switch I perused the manual but found no mention of such a device. At the time of writing I still have not discovered how the heating element works. It is getting a little annoying and Iâ??m thinking of getting a sheep skin to isolate my butt from the burning sensation.

Stay tuned for more

Attachments

• DR000001.JPG
    DR000001.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 1,114