Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ 424 Sprocket sizes for Amageza 2013  (Read 288 times)

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
DRZ 424 Sprocket sizes for Amageza 2013
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:48:12 pm »
So I am wondering what range of sprocket sizes would be ideal for the Amageza, going to be a touch one to try work out as I will really only have mid December to Mid January to test out sizes and then decide what I want.

Any insight?
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/

Offline MildDog

Re: DRZ 424 Sprocket sizes for Amageza 2013
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 11:43:48 am »
So I am wondering what range of sprocket sizes would be ideal for the Amageza, going to be a touch one to try work out as I will really only have mid December to Mid January to test out sizes and then decide what I want.

Any insight?

Run 13 - 40. You want it nice and responsive  :thumleft:

14 - 44 is stock. I run 14 - 47, slightly longer but not much. If you google there are these algorithms that calculate what change you will get by shifting sprockets up and down. Very cool.

Just run 15 - 44. Keep it simple.
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline DirtHound

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • If you don't know Jesus, don't die!
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:03:18 pm »
Previous bikes: '81 XR500;   CBR400 NC23;   '85 XR600;   '97 VTR1000;   '91 KDX200;   '85 XR600;   '97 XR600   :paw:
Current:  '01 XR650R; '06 CTX200
PE to Cape Town on the XR  |  XR Pigfest  |  Anniversary ride - Old Houw Hoek Pass

Offline Torque Curve

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 07:23:34 pm »
Actually 14-47 is std on the DRZ400E. This ratio is best suited for the suspension and weight of the bike and ideal rider weight of 85kg.
1st is just right for very slow technical terrain, but the gap to second sometimes feels too big. 5th works beautifully on open gravel and rocky surfaces from as low as 60km/h right up to top-end which is 147km/h.
If your Amageza bike is quite a bit heavier than std then try 14-49 or 14-50 to get some snap back into the lower gears where you need to lift the heavier bike over things.
14 front sprocket is my prefered choice because the front chain retainer is designed for that. 12- or 13-tooth fronts bring the chain closer to the swingarm which results in more wear-and-tear over time.
I haven't run my 462-conversion yet, but possibly the extra power will make ratio changes unnecessary for me.
Tire choice will also affect your ratio, so just watch that too. Mitas CO2 for instance has a much higher wall than say a T63. Tire diameter ratios can be multiplied with your sprocket ratio to see the effect on speed or power. Typically if your rear tire is 10mm larger in diameter your bike will behave as if the rear sprocket is one tooth smaller.
“Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline N[]vA

• Adventure Geek Extreame!
  • Forum Whore
  • Adventure Geek Extreme!
    • Adventure Geek
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:27:21 pm »
thanks guys, I think I will have to experiment while I am back home as my bike is an SM with dirt wheels, strocker crank and other nice bits too.

To add to all the fun I have never ridden this bike with dirt tires on it
So much of win it hurts! ^.^

http://www.adventuregeek.co.za/