Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: De Wildt Toy Run - 8 Dec 2012 - Who's going?  (Read 486 times)

Offline Vintage_Mania

De Wildt Toy Run - 8 Dec 2012 - Who's going?
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:32:16 pm »

I'm going to drag the XL500 out for a short run to Morula Sun and help with the distribution on the none-technical routes. Anybody else want to come or are planning on going?

Tombstone info:
Saturday 8th at both Police Station and Morula. Organisers will be at the venues at 6:00ish. I will be at the hotel at 7:00 to look after the Klipgat (secret shebeen/bre eric's) area.

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Toors

Re: De Wildt Toy Run - 8 Dec 2012 - Who's going?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 09:38:31 am »

I'm going to drag the XL500 out for a short run to Morula Sun and help with the distribution on the none-technical routes. Anybody else want to come or are planning on going?

Tombstone info:
Saturday 8th at both Police Station and Morula. Organisers will be at the venues at 6:00ish. I will be at the hotel at 7:00 to look after the Klipgat (secret shebeen/bre eric's) area.

I'll be out there.  haven't decided yet if I am going to take the 690 so that I can load up or the 350 - to go and play a little afterwards
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
Silent Submerge N-19 Saltwater
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:09:10 am »

Ek sien jou daar Dries!  :thumleft:

People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day. And doing nothing often leads to the very best kind of something.

Offline Dirty Des

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 04:36:58 pm »

I'm heading for the police station with the 640, can load lots, both toys and kids!

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 07:15:07 pm »
My B.I.L asked me to go with. But have only the big Strom, no plastic or smally. Still contemplating....
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline waco-jaco

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 09:11:24 am »

Tombstone info:

Morning VM,

I would like to join you guys....please give me some more info? Which route, time we finish, GPS co-ordinates etc.

Thank you

Offline Vintage_Mania

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 09:18:38 am »

@WJ - that is as much as I know. I'll be in the Morula Sun's parking around @ 06:45-07:00. You'll definitely notice the group. Everybody will be given a distribution point and area to cover so just follow your group out. It finishes when ever you feel you had enough. Have helped Friends of De Wildt with a blanket run before and it is good fun and good food for the soul.

Offline Toors

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:33:53 am »

Tombstone info:

Morning VM,

I would like to join you guys....please give me some more info? Which route, time we finish, GPS co-ordinates etc.

Thank you

HI

DW Toy run works different to "normal" toy runs.  

You meet either at the Police Station (not a real one) or at the Marula Hotel,  between 6:30 and 7:30 you load up with toys there - a lot of toys are supplied by a group called the Friends of De Wildt .  

A couple of vehicles (with toys) go to predetermined positions.  Normally just get the details at your base site (Police Station or Marula) and ride as a group from there.  The vehicles is then used as hubs were you collect toys and then hand them out to the kids yourselves.

last year we were done  11:00ish  which leaves some time for a bit of fun to go an play.

hint: If you bring some of your own toys (which most guys do) rather buy a lot of cheap gifts (i.e R5 jobbies)  there are thousands of kids out there and better to give something small to a lot of them.

It really is worth it handing the gifts out yourselves.

My Father Christmas slead:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:37:13 am by Toors »
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv
  "Those who say it can't be done, should get out of the way of those who is already doing it..."  Sheck Exley

Offline waco-jaco

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 09:38:41 am »
Thanks for the info.....see you saturday morning!

Offline Toors

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 09:50:02 am »
My B.I.L asked me to go with. But have only the big Strom, no plastic or smally. Still contemplating....

There is always a distribution point or two that is easily accessible, the big Strom will be fine.  You can also assist at a Vehicle distribution point... surely if a Prado can go there the Strom can as well  >:D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:51:29 am by Toors »
KTM 350 XCF-W
KTM 1050 Adv

Offline Dirty Des

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 03:13:49 pm »

Last year. I got a lady at Shoprite to make up a package of goodies for teenage girls and boys. Toothpaste, toothbrush, deo, face cloth, soap, a chocolate, lipstick and nail polish for the girls, a note book and a pen for the boys.

That seemed to be appreciated as there are quite a few young people looking after siblings that are still children themselves. Basically I worked on the value of what I would have spent going to the Poison Rally and spent that.

What works for me is that unlike the "Other Toy Run" you hand your present to the child and these kids come from rather poor homes in the rural areas. They are well organized with a comunity leader managing the kids, we went to a hall and the ''Boss" had a list of children which got ticked off when they were handed a "Friends of De Wildt"present.

Also gave the bigger kids rides and let them have photo's taken sitting on the bike.

All done by a round 11.00, went back to the spaza over the road from the old police station and caught up with the other guys then headed home.