A ride to Buffelspoort

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kykdaar

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Zundapp (all models)
This is my first attempt at a ride report, so please be gentle.

When Sunday morning arrived without the obligatory rain clouds that seems to be the norm these days in Gauteng I quickly set off on a spur-of-the-moment trip to explore the scenery of the Magaliesberg area.

Just after the Van Gaalen cheese factory I turned off the tarmac onto a gravel road and promptly came upon some wildlife that was hanging around by the fence. Luckily they were not overly skittish and I managed to get a few photos. Perhaps there is something to be said for retaining the standard pipe on a bike?

Further down the road I stopped and took a few moments to appreciate the surroundings and enjoy the solitude that is part and parcel of this type of travelling.

The type of roads that is worth travelling - roads not marked with letters and numbers, but merely referred to as â??other roadsâ?.

The GPS is mounted in a Touratech mount which only arrived a few days ago after an agonising four month waiting period. It shakes around quite a bit in its damping efforts making maps difficult to read while on the move, even on tar roads. I suppose that is the price to pay for protecting the unit? 

The road wound its way past farms and fertile pastures and I was more than happy just cruising along and exploring.

Not too long and I arrived at this notice board at the foot of an incline.

After first taking a picture of my handsome steed I was off to see what passes for a bad road in these parts.

Looking back from near the summit of the climb. Quite a steep little incline, but the view was spectacular.

At the top I could see a dam in the distance. Next time around I will go and have a closer look.

Apparently I found myself in a conservancy. Nice to see that the area is being looked after.

There were also a number of mountain bikers around enjoying the morning out and riding the surrounding trails. On my way down one mountain biker took great delight in tearing past me, gesturing for me to pick up the pace and follow.

I declined his offer, firstly, because I do not trust men who wear lycra pants and, secondly, on the basis that I possess something which he clearly lacks - a well-functioning brain.

Not much by the way of ATGATT and I could not help thinking what damage he will do to himself if he came off at that speed and over such rocky terrain. 

I later re-joined the tar road leading into Magaliesburg and stopped at the local Wimpy for some breakfast. It looked like a mini rally with all the bikes parked outside and there was quite a nice vibe going with the boksâ??s victory seemingly the main topic of discussion.

After dodging the usual speed traps I hooked up with the N14 and before long I was back in Pretoria.

Total distance covered for the morning was 247 km and apart from the large numbers of cruisers and vlamgatte I saw on the tar, I did not come across a single other dirt rider.

Other dogs may not have been out in that neck of the woods, but hopefully you too spent a nice couple of hours on board your bikes this weekend.