Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BUNGYCOOL's Visit and Our RR of a Thumping Lekker Trip - COMPLETE !  (Read 9581 times)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: BUNGYCOOL's Visit - A Thumper Trip and RR with a Difference - He's Safe Home
« Reply #120 on: December 11, 2012, 02:23:34 pm »
:thumleft: Must be a BIG story if we waiting this long for it  :peepwall:

he fooled us..... used spray-on-mud and is busy photoshopping the pics..........   :thumleft:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline arno

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Toppie......Gooi Mielies!!
    • http://www.princealbertcycles .co.za
Re: BUNGYCOOL's Visit - A Thumper Trip and RR with a Difference - He's Safe Home
« Reply #121 on: December 11, 2012, 04:11:13 pm »
HY moet darem seker tyd gegee word om die smarties te strooi en tasse neer te sit ....
Fietse van die verlede: BMW F800GS ,BMW 1150 GS, Honda 305 cc, Honda 400 FOUR, Honda 550 FOUR, BMW 600/6 , DR 650

Tans:  Trapfiets

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #122 on: December 11, 2012, 04:47:35 pm »
HY moet darem seker tyd gegee word om die smarties te strooi en tasse neer te sit ....

Daai 5 minute is lankal verby
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2012, 04:48:18 pm »
I'll wait patiently - have a feeling in my water the RR will be worth the wait!

Offline bungycool

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2012, 12:05:38 am »

:lol8: :ricky:
Ok so some of this RR has been leaked. I have to say it has been a very interesting experience on so very many levels. I got to meet people I probably never would have without this forum. I've had hours of pleasure on a total strangers 30year old bike. Ive been shown favour and grace in abundance danced under the mighty Milky way on a clear Karoo night on my own in a game reserve while marvelling at Gods creation. Ive even cried tears that noone will ever see into my (borrowed)helmet over people I never knew though they are long gone.

So this is how the story began, My mom passed away from cancer complications in March, and her house has had an offer on it so I was required to come over and sort through her stuff and decide how we were going to divide it all up. Kinda like dividing up the memories of a lifetime and trying to condense it all into a box full of stuff that makes some kind of sense. As I would be leaving my lovely family behind due to other commitments I decided to try and see if I could squeeze a trip up to see my dad whom we hadnt seen in about six years. After looking at Bike hire prices I was a bit stunned (grand a day plus R3.3 perKm plus a 12grand deposit) I thought ok lets see if we can organise WD style. Hence this bungycools offer,
Jupiter (Gerard aka the Gman) stepped up to the plate with more generosity than an estateagent bent on a sale. Offering not just the bike but also camping gear and also to fetch it back from Cape Town – although I dont feel too bad about the last one as he does enjoy a ride every now and then!

Thus after a bit of tooing and froiing and a good bit of planning and replanning the Zen trip formed!
I hopped onto the plane CapeTown bound with more pentup excitement than a matric student on his last day with a bottle of JD stashed under his bed!

Four days later having shaked out moms ashes at froggy pond in silvermine and ransacked her house for treasures, I hopped on a mango flight (met die helfde van my swaer Kamanya se Fiets toer goeters in die trommel in) PE bound. TornadoF5 and Morgie welcomed me – I got the biggest hug from Morgie, and Warren treated me like a long lost brother ( miss you already bru!)

Gerard wasnt ready for me yet so we tucked into the lovely Amelias apricot chicken while being grilled by Morgies gran! Then off to Gerards for the Thumper lecture! Sho maar die man het mos n mooi mancave ne! With a bit of a flouish he packed tent and bags of this that and the next thing into the oxford panniers the only tool I used was the 17mm spanner to tighten the RHS foot peg. But as we say her in soggy Scotland rather be looking at it than for it! After the lecture as can be seen in an earlier post I rode off into the dusk to park up at Warrens and kip. Had a very good chat with Warren and Amelia before being chased off to bed. Took ages to fall asleep but eventually woke up to the smell of bacon frying.
Day 1

Yes warren was more excited than I was! He'd promised me a slice of toast and a quick run off – this turned into poached eggs, bacon and toast, cups of tea until I felt like a tick on a Brahma bull! Then Prayers with the family, huge hugs from all attending and a bit of a lump in my throat tempered by the excitement of it all I kicked life into the thirty year old lump of metal and fed in the petrol, she roared into life and with a shiver of excuberance danced out the gate!

And thus the ride began in earnest, Warren led me off to the petrol station, where Tenie sucked up almost 30l of road munching juice, then off to the start of the N2. A last wave and a twist of her ear and the PE welcome team was gone. Of course a few miles down the road I had to stop to check everything was where it should be and to try figure out Kamanyas GPS as it kept telling me to gooi a Uee on the N2 but I managed to follow the signs to Grahamstown. It got a bit confusing but it took me about two days to figure out the timings of the turns on the Garmin! However about twenty minutes outside of Grahamstown I was rewarded with the first sighting of the distant blue hills 

A few short Kms later turned off onto my first bit of long distance dirt on my ownsome on 2 wheels. Man was I chuffed to take this photo.

And a few others at the same time

So on to the Sam Knott reserve. By this time I had learnt to stop and not turn the bike off as I hadn't yet mastered the life into lump kicking finesse and would end up looking like a rather sweaty bear humping an unassuming rottweiler until she coughed into a fit of giggles at my attempts! So with the engine barking away and unpacking my my rusty Xhosa I tried to explain to the lady at the gate that I was going to visit my Dad in the Hogs back. She looked at the bike and me with eyes rolling and said something about the double drift being deep.  Me being the eternal optimist thought I'd go and have a look see before turning around for a laugh! I saw so much game and had my eyes doing Chameleon style that I almost had the estate agents looking to sell me a farm. Sho what a beautiful country I have left behind and really long to come back to.  Anyway I digress, it was such hard work opening and closing those Rhinoproof gates I had to take this photo of this koggelmandertjie,

so after a bit of really enjoyable riding through the reserve (Tenie was going so well I was puttering along trying to stay below 60kmh avoiding the vlakvarkies and impala) I got to the double drift fort stopped for a quick fotie

a short couple of bends later I came upon the moment of truth.

so with a quick scan of my memory bank and realising that Kamanya had been through here a few weeks back and I was pretty sure that the photo looked like what I was looking at I took the plunge! The water was fairly deep about 18” but I took the advise – use the upstream side have thumb on kill switch head up and gas up – and the bit of advise from riding school revs up clutch control etc. Tenie pulled through with only a wee bit of a feeling we were going to be calling Warren for a trailer and a dive team! At the other side was the gnarliest steepest bit of dirt I've ever come across and I just twisted her ear and she sprang up it like a Dassie with a black eagle on its tail!
After riding a few Km's up the ridge I came to the lookout point over the river if you look down the ridge you can see the track running to double drift. I also took the opportunity to take a nice photo of one of the prickly pear flowers that had been tempting me for so long.

After this is was a pretty straight run to the hogs back.

followed by lunch at 'the edge' restaurant which serves an appetite killing very tasty meal and watched the afternoon thunderheads building, 

a bit of shopping for dinner and settled in for a night of listening to the rain PELTING it until about 11pm..

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:25:24 am by bungycool »
If your'e going to do something do it with conviction!

Offline bungycool

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2012, 12:06:53 am »

Day 2
the intention was to do a dawn raid and get going about 5:30 due to the impressive heat and humidity levels encountered the day before but I just couldn't get all my stuff together before 7:30 ( I think to be honest I really didn't want to say goodbye to dad both of us instigating further topics to be explored until the inevitable final hug and goodbye.) I headed down millers pass from here

and was pleasantly surprised that I didn't struggle with it too much, (the lady at 'the edge' had said the previous week they had taken in a woman who was still visibly shaken and had refused to drive in the 4x4 with her husband!)

but on the flatter bits where the mud monster lurks in the shady patches I got to have some earnest agricultural rights negotiations underway, with me both high and low siding out of the mud. And once agin doing the sweaty bear impersonation thang again!

by this stage I had learnt to find a shady tree to hide under while waiting for the carbs to drain and the old girl to gather her wits about her again. But boy was I missing the Katoom and the happybutton!
By this stage my mouth was dry and my mojo had evaporated much like the puddles were! And then this monster appeared so sitting down I gave myself a right good talking to loosen up the elbows head up trust the old girl! And sailed through the mud infested concrete drif!

and on up Katberg pass – now we were looking at more technical riding and I was starting to really love it. Washed out rutted but clean rock roads. Pretty little forest gulleys black eagle pairs and a wild horse on the peak. It just rose within me a primordial instinct to climb higher and drive deeper coupled with the thought that I was following tracks my ancestors probably had (my people came from a farm near Alice on the Tyume river.)

I got up to the neck and was welcomed with this sight

oh and it got worse but there was no way that I was stopping to take photos for anyone, but they are indelibly printed in my minds eye! Roads that only a bike a horse or a man could traverse! Then a drink to Graham and my Mom, a tear and a lump in the throat. (also the earliest I have ever had a drink!)

followed by a long walk back to Tenie who had been watching this mud pool with anticipation!

down the valley we came upon the old way about these hills so Tenie had to do some posing, after I had chased the red francolin away!
Arriving in Adelaide I filled up, trapped about a bit, took a call from my wife who was reeealy missing me, asked directions from a policeman but ultimately settled on some instruction from Kamanya (who was tracking me, by this time I felt like a star in a soap, what with people directing me and strangers getting really excited about what I was doing!) to get a stomach full and trust the GPS a bit in order to get to Willowmore. This led me the Stoep,

As I walked in the door Cheryl and Norman (of Three farmers and a Greek RR) call me over chat and tell me that any time we are in the area they would love to entertain, Norman told how he had broken his KLR and we sat I drank and drank and vacuumed a burger like there was a Matriek eyeing it up in the Koshuis saal! Said our goodbyes and headed back out to the furnace!
We ended up running from the storm that was brewing over the hills

and at one point I actually received a very welcome few drops which sizzled on my jacket and joined the general steam! I was loving every minute every smell every bird – Id put earplugs in by now and could only hear the songs playing in my head! Life is good! And for the foreigners I had to put in a typical dorp huis!

and so with a quick twist of Tenies ear the frontier area was left behind.

and the long straight roads of the Karoo started

Also my Butt was starting to kill me so I stopped more frequently to take photos of the natives like this over grown skink and his buddy the local speed bump (I'm sure it is illegal for local municipalities to not paint the speed bumps and have them higher than 14”??)

I also started to get a bit arty and tried  to use the bike as a sunshield

Between Kliplaat and Willowmore the Gps wanted me to cross over a gate into a farmers yard the sign on the gate clearly stated that entrance would not be entertained. So I unearthed the rusty (and now very dusty) Afrikaanse taal en toe verduidelik dat die dom goeters wat bo op die Baaik sit is vol stront en wil vir my kak aan maak. Toe se willem 'kom sitmaar,drink bietjie bier op die stoep' Turns out he doesnt own the whole farm just the buildings and is a knife and Blackpowder rifle maker, He and all the kids look like they only wash their clothes once a month and it being the middle of the month! But he graciously shows me where he makes his rifles and knives (I really wish that I had taken some photos as he is really good at what he does!) and it being six o'clock the subject of where to stay comes up (I was originally going to camp wild but the ride was getting tiring and a restaurant and a BnB were on my horizon) Willem say no man they'll rip you off in Willowmore let me make a call and get you into a game lodge! Upshot is I leave Kamanya trying to figure out if I have become a victim of deliverance as I left my charger at warrens place and there isnt cell reception! And so I end up spotting Lechwe and Nyala and being catered for by the lovely Anja and Hendrik inside the reserve in the tented camp, which I had to myself,

At this stage I found out that I had a love bite from Tenie – she had given it to me when I high sided and I had been struggling the last while to change gears.

I ended the night staring at the stars drinking copious amounts of water and watching the milky way glide past while I just let my mind free-wheel for a bit, marvelling at the impressive and mysterious creation that has been left to us to administrate.

Day 3
During the night the Civet cat under the board walk had been chasing these big furry beetles about and I think a bat had found that tent material is more dense than the surrounding bush! I awoke I think about 4am got my stuff together shovelled pronutro and about a litre of water down my throat,while marvelling at the sunrise and the beautiful campsite

Paid my dues at reception. High tailing it to Willowmore I was intruiged by two things the cement roads

and the size of the graveyard at Willowmore and more importantly how many fresh graves there were – a stark reminder of how HIV is devastating the population?

on getting to Willowmore I filled up and went to get my wallet – my heart sank and my blood rose as I realised that somewhere in the last 60Kms it had fallen out as I hadnt done up the zipper on the pocket. After a quick and thorough search to make sure I hadn't broken habit and put it into a different place, phoned the manager who turned out to be a fellow boarder at De Villiers Graaf Hoer Skool! Phoned Anja and started back leaving the Iphone with the garage to charge up. (this caused Andrew Kamanya a fresh wave of anxiety as I had 'stopped') Hotfooted it back with eyes on stalks stopping at every wallet sized rock until getting to Timbila again. Anja comes out passes me the wallet saying it was just a K down the road in one of the drifts! So a much relieved Jim sets off from Timbila about 2 hours later!

going back I came across this little road safety advert

noone there but it had happened in the last 20mins!??
the rest of the trip was spent wrestling with the GPS to get me to rooiberg pass and trying to ease the ache in my bum and left leg,

The smell of this bush is quintessentially the Karoo to me its the taste of Lamb and ribbetjies the smell of camping gear and lots of very lekker memories all rolled up into a pretty vaal bush with scraggly flowers!
This place needs a Rolux magnum! Had a great watercrossing here where I got drenched by my bow wave and a few minutes of relief from the scorching heat.

Rooiberg pass has to be the most interesting bit of road that Ive travelled on so far with mountains that look like they've been torn in wrath roads from the cederberg and transvaal aloes from the easterncape and fynbos mixed in hairpin switchbacks and marbles all over the road, its just a got to be done track!

I didnt see one of these signs that hadnt been shot so I had to take this as a memento!
I got to Barrydale limp like a lettuce leaf and sat down to the most overpriced Yugh burger yet and in traps Blinkners after checking Tenie out so we share a coke and then he's off muttering something about bullets and sweat!
So now I really put my foot down with Tenie and we push hard for cape town over the scars in the roads from the riots over Dutoits Kloof Pass and into the teeth of the South easter finally being blessed with the best view on the planet, Table mountain and her tablecloth.

Goose surprises me with my family we sit down share a meal and My eyes start to get heavy!

then go back to Tenie and do a quick survey of her battle wounds, sumpguard had dislodged – two quick poprivets and shes good for some more! A bent footbrake lever, some glue required under the throttle grip, a new goose tube and some tlc on an indicator. Oh and she needs a new rear tyre!

Once agin to all who made this possible and to all who offered help thank you from the very bottom of my soul – it is well!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:41:09 am by bungycool »
If your'e going to do something do it with conviction!

Offline Knucklhead

• aka: Mooseknuckle/ knucky/knuckles/philistine
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2012, 06:59:53 am »
classic bud! please post the route if possible...sound real lekka

cheers

Craig

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2012, 07:02:12 am »
Very, very nice, glad you and the Tenie made it in one piece.   :patch:  Beuatiful pictures and nice road you travelled.   :thumleft:

jupiter, hier is darem baie mooi kiekies van daai thumper, jy kan trots wees op haar.   :deal:  Nou wag ons net vir jou trippie terug.  Gooi miellies.  :thumleft:
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Bliknêrs

• I never finish anyth
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2012, 07:03:53 am »
Really enjoyed the RR & pics Jim. Keep well.

Offline Dorsland

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2012, 07:07:36 am »
What a story! Always sobering to see one's country and life through the eyes of others.  There are great people out there in the world, thanks for sharing BC and the other members of the cast  :thumleft:
Geleerdheid in die kop van 'n dwaas is soos 'n lemmetjie in die hand van 'n aap.

CJ Langenhoven

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2012, 07:51:14 am »
Great one BC, I've been following this thread since it started, and can't wait for Jup to get back and do his bit. At times he was a bit like a father with a daughter at the matric farewell  :lol8:

Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2012, 08:09:22 am »
You wanna hear a joke... I have a brand new knobbly at home, if only you had told me this is where you were going to ride   :eek7: I thought you were just going to high tail it, so I left you the slick  :imaposer:

Well done on a good ride and getting there safely. And thanks for a lekker RR showing off the old girl and what she is still capable off.

I can't wait for Sunday to get going.

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2012, 08:10:10 am »
Wow BC, that sure was a pretty Epic Jouney :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thank you so much for sharing it with us. ;)
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline DRAZIL

• Alpha et Omega
Re: BUNGYCOOL's Visit and his RR of a Thumping Trip (Episode 2 - Page 7)
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2012, 09:21:32 am »
Awesome ride and tons of treasured  memories you have collected on your trip :thumleft: :thumleft:
Would be nice to see your ride report on your own thread. :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:22:43 am by DRAZIL »
“You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.”
Charles Manson

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2012, 09:35:30 am »
Fantastic trip and write-up Jim.

Was an absolute pleasure and blessing to meet you as well ... just amazing that we're technically both from the soggy-mud-isle and only end up meting down here.

Well done for tackiling this in such a spectacular way.......... and well done for sharing your story with us.

Take care boet - we'll meet again soon   :thumleft:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Bill p

« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2012, 10:24:53 am »
What a great epic ride. Who needs all the modern fancy bikes when you can take an old thumper like that and have so much fun.
Going to do plenty of those rides next year on my old beauty.

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2012, 04:01:01 pm »
Well, the old girl was in desperate need of some new treads..........

So off to Tracmac this morning, which turned into a bit of a nightmare........ bought the tyre in Paarden Island..... but the tyre was in Bellville.... so off I go in this flippen heat with umpteen cars.... bloody hell eveyone wanted to go home at this time!  :eek7:
Got to Tracmac in Bellville only to be told there's been a buggerup......... the Tyre was flippen sent to the Paarden Island branch  :deal:   :patch:  :xxbah:

......... EK WAS DIE MOER IN!!!

Rode all the way back to Paarden Island and so wragtig - there's the tyre............. anyway.......... fitting done!

Jup - here's a few pics.............. showing the old girl waiting her turn for the fitment............ brand new shoe fitted and where she's sleeping in really good company..... classic to think that between the three bikes in the pic.... they have nearly 90 years between them  :thumleft:

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #137 on: December 14, 2012, 04:09:19 pm »
Thanks tjom. Ek skuld jou BIG.  :3some: Vir al hulle onbeholpenheid, sien ek darem hulle het die tyre reg aangesit.

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #138 on: December 14, 2012, 04:16:30 pm »
Gnarly! 8)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Gérrard

• Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #139 on: December 14, 2012, 04:23:41 pm »
Very unknown, but good tyre that and value for money. King KT 966. Good grip in any terrain and does not feel like a knobbly on tar. Went through two of them on my AT and got over 15 000km each time with tread left.