Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: crf 450 or wr 450 to build rally bike  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Uiltjie

• Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Caledon
    • http://www.goudinie.co.za
Re: crf 450 or wr 450 to build rally bike
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2013, 06:59:31 am »
Juztin jy weet mos soos in Elsiesrivier is die bra met die meeste bling King.

Jy is heeltemaal reg

Ek het baie nuw bling op my fietse

Double overhead battery terminals
High rise radiator cap
NewMatic tyres
HydroLick clutch and brakes
OrtoMatic start via remote switch on handlebars
Keyless Go
Porcelain insulated spark generator

en nog meer

Kyk hie my broe, die darkies drop mos die karre

....en die whities lig hulle mos wee op......  Issss jaaaaaa......

"Sit vis vobiscum."

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2013, 07:10:50 am »
This is a mixed up thread  ??? Pity because the duscussion around 'Full Monty Dakar rally bikes" for essentially one race AmaG is vaid IMHO.

As I have said I concur with Alan and my take is that one must try and make the Amageza accessible and ATTRACTIVE to as many riders as possible - financially and aesthetically. Guys must be comfortable to enter and compete on a basic 'rallied' bike (as I have said like in Aus, Baja, etc) - one that may not have had R60K+ spent on nav towers, imported fairings etc. Why? Because what one wants to do is encourage guys to be attracted to this form of competition, get hooked and then GROW it = they need to become excited, committed and will then invest more in it. This is how DS riding (while not competetive in the true sense) has grown and how other forms of sport grow. While many of us would love the pukka Dakar rallay type scoot in reality for most it does not make sense at present.  :3some: For me I will be looking for an affordable and logical 'compromise' for AmaG.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline tulips

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Peugeot (all models)
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2013, 08:41:01 am »
http://h2osport.yolasite.com/other-products---non-canoeing.php

can the 690 screen fit ?  local manufacturer
Very funny Mr Geller can i please get my bike back

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 09:27:59 am »
Fit what? Most things can be 'made' to fit. There are a few locally made generic rally type fairings available if one wants to go that route.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline tau

• hasbeen and a
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
  • The Tool from Tulbagh
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 10:06:08 am »
Not quite correct. For Amageza you will need an ICO, fuel capacity, a GPS mount and a roadbook holder, not a fancy screen ;D

But those are good questions you ask Jagsding. Maybe because desert rallies are fun to do?

I do doubt too many are scared of crashing their rally kits - I know Im not. I also have a normal plastic which I really enjoy using as well, and my 800GS which is fun but not as much as it used to be. I guess my tastes have changed.

Horses for courses - Everyone has their own reason for building a rally bike.  Some Im sure are for poser value, although you lose poser value quick if you dont race the thing, so its a double edged sword for those that are like that ;D

I know you need a few extra things for the Amageza BUT I still do not beleive you need a full rally kit like the stuff used in FIM rallies

My reason for the rant - I was involved with some of the development on the ORYX until I gave up and said no more - because every bike was different and they kept on changing their minds every second day on what was needed / wanted - I was highly unimpressed with the quality of the "rally kits" and to me it seemed like nothing fitted properly - not in the way a new factory built bike should be. My company's role was in the exhaust design and manufacture - there is nothing more compromised on a rally bike than the exhaust that runs underneath the bike to clear the big fuel tanks - it reduces ground clearance, is prone to taking big knocks and burns the heel of the rider's left boot - but there is nowhere else to put it so that's where it must go. Every bike was different and for me the big problem would come when parts were damaged in accidents and needed to be replaced - will you actually be able to get new stuff for your literally one-off special ?

A standard KTM 690 with translucent Safari tank (total capacity = 26 litres = 500 km range) must be the ultimate and most cost effective rally bike for the amateur enthusiast wanting to do the Amageza and use it as a practical DS bike out of rallies

Do you really need to spend so much moola on the fancy fairings and all that jazz ? I know I wouldn't but maybe thats just me

Function over form wins for me every time

But getting back to the original question: WR or CRF ? I would choose the WR every time - fantastic bang for your buck and good prices and availability of original spares from Yamaha SA

I share your sentiments!

Some people just want the "look" of a rally bike - so thats what drives them. They would happy with the Oryx or something similar.

Others are rally enthusiasts and want a proper rally bike as a sort of a piece of history - I can relate - it must be awesome to own one of the bikes that actually did the Dakar for example - but it would be very impractical - not to mention expensive - and I would be torn between riding it and preserving it. 

Very few people in SA will need a fully functional rally bike.  You certainly dont need one for the Amageza - yet.  And thats the only local race/event where you could possibly use one at the moment.

In addition, I personally do not like those nav towers at all.  They make the bike top heavy, whack you in the face and chest over obstacles and are prone to disintegration from vibration and falls. 

I had a screen on my bike for a while - simply because I thought I needed it for cruising on the highway, but I got sick and tired of being whacked unexpectedly in rough terrain, so I took it off.  Turns out that while it did reduce wind drag a bit at highway speeds, it also drastically increased turbulence which was more irritating.  So for me its better all round without the screen.

I'm still humming and haaing about how to mount a road book for the Amageza, but you certainly dont need a large tower for that.

As for the large fuel tanks - my experience with a single large tank is that its not ideal.  On my bike it holds the weight too far forward when full.  Which drastically changes the bike's handling (it becomes a bit treacherous in thick sand and mud, you need to be wide awake). 
But I suppose thats always going to be a compromise because 24 extra kilos is lot of extra weight on a 140kg bike.  But I wish I could centralise the weight somehow when full.

The centralised fuel on the rally kits make a huge difference. I agree rather have a big tank infront and no screen and compete. The full on rallyebike's weren't build by moegoes. My bike which is called a "kit" bike in rallye trim is way better balanced for those high speed bumps etc.

I still think a 650 class thumper + big tank is the best bet for Amageza asservice intervals are far apart and for the road sections they are comfy. Even the DRz400 is a very good bet.
2021 Yamaha YZ 450 FX
2021 Yamaha T7 Tenere
1981 Yamaha TT600