My Custom CB550 build.... *MOAR DIY'ness!*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru-tom

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT500
Hey all!

thought its time to start my build thread before i get carried away and lose pics in the process... ;D

i looked long and hard to find something with a good platform to start building off. many many hours of searching and seeing these bikes are really sought after no matter where you are from, i came upon this beauty for half the average going price. There was something about this bike that was different than the others id seen, so i bit the bullet and went out blazing to make sure i get her. not much was known about the bike by the lady selling, so my gut took over....

With her being 1000 odd km away, i got a mate to go check her out for me with limited bike knowledge, needless to say, many other potential buyers were hounding the lady to sell, but i had already secured the deal! i must have changed my mind a millions times trying to decide whether i should go for something that doesn't kick start, motor hardly turns over, no battery, this and that.....

a week later and 1.5 days late, 11pm on a Saturday night, she arrived!

add pic:

KGrHqNhMFCwfIm0RtBQwgi56jd48_20_zpsfc8dd38a.jpg

first day of stripping and attempting to get her to start Jaya3 and i found a few odd and ends:

-kick start shafts spline is shot, assumed that the kick start lever was not fastened properly.
-tank is rusting inside, minor though.
-filters are clogged with miffed old fuel.
-a blown front Tyre and tube; doesn't make moving around too easy!
-carbs are sticky, really sticky and funked up with old fuel.
-ignition switch not making contact properly

so thats the basic list of "to do's" before i think any real progress can be made..she needs to start and eliminate my fears of it being a dud...

jay reckoned we swap carbs to see what state the motor is in... after sorting that out, connecting a battery, fixed ignition switch....

"VOILA"!!! she started on like the 2nd push of the start button! as if it last ran yesterday! was super stoked!

a few pics:

IMG_5693_zps29733683.jpg

IMG_5700_zps7948235e.jpg

IMG_5691_zps5b14d1d3.jpg

xcas_zpsdd7a1db6.jpg

IMG_5682_zps07d08695.jpg

excuse the chops, been a while since i last posted pics...

so the main thing id like to do now, is fix the carbs up. the frame was also painted with hammerite and is in superb condition! otherwise, everything else has surface rust on, but nothing some electroplating/powder coating cant sort out  ;D

so yeah, thats my build, still unsure what route i am going to go with her, but lets say something OEM+ for now like we say in the car scene.

thanks for reading
:thumleft: