Blatant Discrimination Destroying Local Tourism

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacoB

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
I recently, in the spur of the moment, decided to do a short ride this week, and ended up with a northern KZN route and a few days diving at Sodwana Bay.

So, made arrangements with Coral Divers and confirmed that I will be traveling with the bike.  No Problem, was the answer, you are not allowed to ride the bike in the park but we will collect you with a trailer from the gate. Fair enough, I am annoyed but reasonable.

So with that arranged, I arrived at the gate today after 600 km's in the saddle.  Surprise, now KZN Parks has issued a Unilateral Decree that bikes are not allowed, not even on a trailer.

I ride a street legal, fully licensed bike for thousands of km's on national roads across SA and our neighbouring countries without an issue, but somehow this vehicle and by implication the person riding it, becomes a second rate citizen not entitled to travel the last km or so in the park!

I doubt that anyone has been consulted about this totally irrational and ridiculous rule.  On enquiry, I am told that bikes make more noise than cars, just as some asshole in a skedonk of a car run up the revolutions in the background with an accompanying amount of smoke blowing from the exhaust.  My other vehicle is an Isuzu diesel, and I will take a bet that it makes more noise than my bike, and I have been to Sodwana with it repeatedly and no issue.

Even worse, after a huff and a puff with senior management, me threatening to take my business elsewhere, we were allowed to take the bike in on a trailer.  Seems the rule only applies some times!

Last year I travelled out of my way to visit the Modjadji forest and the same story, no bikes allowed.

So Minister Schalkwyk, do you really think you can promote local tourism if you continue to allow such blatant discrimination?  Maybe next year I will rather join my family on an island in the pacific rim...there they have an appreciation for our patronage.