Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Blatant Discrimination Destroying Local Tourism  (Read 2753 times)

Offline JacoB

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
Blatant Discrimination Destroying Local Tourism
« on: December 18, 2012, 06:46:05 pm »
I recently, in the spur of the moment, decided to do a short ride this week, and ended up with a northern KZN route and a few days diving at Sodwana Bay.

So, made arrangements with Coral Divers and confirmed that I will be traveling with the bike.  No Problem, was the answer, you are not allowed to ride the bike in the park but we will collect you with a trailer from the gate. Fair enough, I am annoyed but reasonable.

So with that arranged, I arrived at the gate today after 600 km's in the saddle.  Surprise, now KZN Parks has issued a Unilateral Decree that bikes are not allowed, not even on a trailer.

I ride a street legal, fully licensed bike for thousands of km's on national roads across SA and our neighbouring countries without an issue, but somehow this vehicle and by implication the person riding it, becomes a second rate citizen not entitled to travel the last km or so in the park!

I doubt that anyone has been consulted about this totally irrational and ridiculous rule.  On enquiry, I am told that bikes make more noise than cars, just as some asshole in a skedonk of a car run up the revolutions in the background with an accompanying amount of smoke blowing from the exhaust.  My other vehicle is an Isuzu diesel, and I will take a bet that it makes more noise than my bike, and I have been to Sodwana with it repeatedly and no issue.

Even worse, after a huff and a puff with senior management, me threatening to take my business elsewhere, we were allowed to take the bike in on a trailer.  Seems the rule only applies some times!

Last year I travelled out of my way to visit the Modjadji forest and the same story, no bikes allowed.

So Minister Schalkwyk, do you really think you can promote local tourism if you continue to allow such blatant discrimination?  Maybe next year I will rather join my family on an island in the pacific rim...there they have an appreciation for our patronage.

Honda MBX 50, Yamaha DT 125, Honda XLR 500, Kawasaki KLE 500, KTM 990 Adventure, Yamaha S10

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
Re: Blatant Discrimination Destroying Local Tourism
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:52:53 pm »
Well said Bru! I agree that bikes are discriminated against due to some tosser that may have caused some plug years ago!... the dept. of tourism should catch a wake-up! :snorting:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline OOOOMS

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 09:53:38 pm »
Hmmmm...some oke's just have no common sense to make a judgement call......

This is very unfortunate, suppose someone drove near Van's campsite one day toooo fast or noisy!

Offline Inprogress

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 10:12:56 pm »
Can you blame them. How often do I hear and INCREDIBLE exhaust tone when another bike with aftermarket free-flow comes riding past. Unfortunately the blokes with aftermarket pipes go to places like that, the blip their throttle once too many, some old tannie gets annoyed, and it is ruined for everyone. Bikes, especially bikes with loud pipes, are a LOT less tolerable than loud cars. Bikes carry an additional negative image, loud pipes just seals the deal.

And yes, you most likely do not have a loud pipe, but those are the realities. Most bike owners can't wait to throw off the OEM, quiet pipe. The saying goes "Loud pipes saves lives." But another saying goes, "Loud pipes loose land."

My opinion anyway.  :-\
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:13:29 am by Inprogress »
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 09:00:40 am »
My opinion anyway.  :-\

Mine too.

I think they should have DB meters at the gate.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 09:16:37 am »
If they have Breathalysers, it may help as well. Brandewyn het mos nie breke nie! :pot:
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Beebop

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 09:20:00 am »
Again, its the case of the minority screwing it up for the majority.
I also no longer support Merry Pebbles in Sabie for the same reason, however
I do understand their reasoning. There are people who like to holiday in peace
and quiet, without some Yuppie on his weekend toy waking the dead like a rally "hero"

Offline Beemer Mike

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Preserve the Wild Dog (in formaldehyde)!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 09:24:33 am »
Sorry but I dont agree. If someone is making a terrible noise then kick him out, not everyone. That would then apply for both cars and bikes. "Right of admission reserved"
BMW 1150 GSA
Honda XR 650 L
BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy

Offline Inprogress

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 10:06:34 am »

I love that idea. If you are above the DB rating, bye bye. Keeps the minority idiots out and the majority in.

EDIT: In fact, it could be a standard, permanent installation. Two mic pick-ups either side of the initial gate (call it the sound wall gate  ;D ) whereby the noise is picked up. They read the DB rating. Then you have to twist to full throttle and back, sorta a blip, plus three consecutive, half throttle blips. You get a reading, voala!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 10:10:44 am by Inprogress »
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Sparky

• a darkside
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 10:17:23 am »

I love that idea. If you are above the DB rating, bye bye. Keeps the minority idiots out and the majority in.

EDIT: In fact, it could be a standard, permanent installation. Two mic pick-ups either side of the initial gate (call it the sound wall gate  ;D ) whereby the noise is picked up. They read the DB rating. Then you have to twist to full throttle and back, sorta a blip, plus three consecutive, half throttle blips. You get a reading, voala!

What is the legal decibel level allowed on any vehicle?
"Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Offline Beebop

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 10:25:49 am »
Very unlikely that anyone will introduce dB level meters, too much cost and admin.
Easier to ban the <1% of population who ride bikes.

Offline Bacchus2

• Pack Dog
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 10:33:31 am »
I agree - get rid of the ones that make trouble. No matter what pipe you have on your bike, if you ride properly where there's issues it shouldn't be a problem.  :dousing:

Offline JacoB

• Pack Dog
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 12:37:03 pm »
The point for me here is that these type of decisions are discriminatory.  If you have  rules regulating noise levels for instance, that is fine, but then it applies to all, not just motorcycles.

It is totally unreasonable to penalise all based on behaviour of the minority.  Would it be reasonable to not allow cars on the highway because some individuals drive at excessive speeds for instance?

No, the correct approach is to reasonably regulate, and then prosecute the offenders, not the law abiding citizens.

Honda MBX 50, Yamaha DT 125, Honda XLR 500, Kawasaki KLE 500, KTM 990 Adventure, Yamaha S10

Offline BadBadger

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 08:44:10 am »
Once such a rule is in place, it feels like you're in no-mans land... If you take them on over such a ridiculous blanket rule, you almost give them affirmation that you're a trouble maker!
'04 BMW R1200GS
'00 Honda CR250R

Offline 200kph

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 10:27:00 am »
I think restaurants should search people for cigarettes and ban them just I case they light a smoke somewhere in the place. :pot:

Offline cheesy

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:22:11 am »
Re the minister of tourism, was he not nick named Kortbroek? :laughing4:
In another vein, let's not forget the inconsiderate people blasting the site with ghetto blasters. >:(
My 2 cents worth.
Bum in the saddle, always.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 08:20:01 pm »
Hollywood made motorcycles socially unacceptable, and Kortbroek is still believing that.

Offline SGB

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1250 GSA
    • Country Trax
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 09:41:32 pm »
There are enough establishments outside of the Parks board gate.  Stay at Sodwana Lodge, Triton, etc - there are quite a few.  They shuttle through the gate every day and return to camp after the dives - just like the operators based within the Parks board area.
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

Offline ZAR

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 10:15:40 pm »
Ek lees nou eers die topic........

If they have Breathalysers, it may help as well. Brandewyn het mos nie breke nie! :pot:

Tommy, hoe da moer gaan jy dan kan inkom?   :pot:    :peepwall:

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty!

A dubious plan decisively executed is more likely to succeed than a very good plan tentatively executed.

To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.  To one without faith, no explanation is possible.               - Thomas Aquinas (1225 1274) -  2013 -  Suzuki DL650 2007; 2012-2013 Suzuki DL1000 2009 Crashed; 2009-2012 Suzuki DL650 2006 Sold; 2009-2012 PGO G-MAX 125cc 2009 Sold; 1990-1990 Suzuki GSX750 1982 Sold; 1988-1991 Suzuki RG50F

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 10:18:15 pm »
Hollywood made motorcycles socially unacceptable, and Kortbroek is still believing that.

what.. how did Hollywood do this?

it is all the okes on their katooms who feel they have to be the loudest oke on a back wheen man.  :peepwall:
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0