Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The travelling salesman - dial-up beware, lots of pics  (Read 4873 times)

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
Re: The travelling salesman
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2007, 09:39:49 am »
As said before - very cool!

You certainly use that DR for what it was made for !

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Ratsalad

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2007, 03:35:23 pm »
Found a nice road that runs through the mountains between Stormsvlei and Drew. It's nice and scenic and cuts out a huge chunk of the N2.
I rode to Drew, then turned right just after the bridge (towards Hessequa 4x4). About 5 km down the road was a turnoff that said Kliprivier (I think). I could see the road going over the koppies and there were recent DS bike tracks (2) heading up that way. After a while I came to a fork - one looked like it went to a farm house so I took the other one even though it was obviously less travelled. As you can see from the pics a car would never get through after the recent rains.
Then I ran into some guys on tractors and I asked them if the road goes to the "groot pad" and they said yes. It's obviously a farm you ride through and before to long I ran into the farmer dragging a planter behind his Land Cruiser bakkie. Friendly guy, said "Yes, go and enjoy" when I asked permission
The road ends at a to your right just as you come out of the pass between Stormsvlei and Bonnievale. Here's some pics:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 03:46:42 pm by Bliknêrs »

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2007, 03:38:25 pm »
Flippen cool!

Went through Stormsvlei on Monday. Awesome valley.

Is this left coming from Stormsvlei ?

Is there any signs that tell you you've found it ?

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Ratsalad

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2007, 03:49:43 pm »
Hi Eishbein
Sorry it's to your right coming out of the pass from Stormsvlei. Less than a km from the ruin in my avitar. No signs but look for a double gate (big one and a small one). If you get to the Kliprivier turn off, you've gone past it and will have to turn around although that road later joins this one, but you'll miss out on some opportunities to dump your bike in the ruts and mud.

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2007, 03:50:48 pm »
Niiiiice!

Thanks for keeping this thread alive!

Ratsalad

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2007, 03:54:30 pm »
I noticed you're holding thumbs lately ...
What for?

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2007, 03:57:23 pm »
I noticed you're holding thumbs lately ...
What for?

:D ;D

Two things - that the shaft of the GS is only in need of an adjustment (no actual real repairs) and the 2nd is for a job that I made the shortlist for. Will hear about both of those within the 1st week of the new year.

Ratsalad

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2007, 04:00:28 pm »
Good luck!
Even if the shaft is knackered, maybe the new job will help pay for it!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2007, 04:02:05 pm »
Good luck!
Even if the shaft is knackered, maybe the new job will help pay for it!

Hahahahaha!

Yeah - I would prefer both though...

Queen song comes to mind: I want it all...

But yeah, if I have to choose that would be the priority list!

Offline Jerrycan

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • TW #2
    • Photogallery
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2008, 06:40:33 pm »
Faark, wouldn't mind a few shortcuts to work like these!  Well done on the photography, nice creative stuff!
Have petrol will move
RIDE REPORTS:
One dog and a bitch, on trip to Kommandodrift http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13086.0
One dog and a bitch, TW's to the sea http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13333.0

Ratsalad

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2008, 01:19:43 pm »
Jerrycan you should not have encouraged me. I tried to be creative again this morning, and heres the results:
1 - Dams in Kloof outside Swellendam.
2 - Trees on the other side of the dam
3 - If you look up thats what you see.
4 - Spot the bike
5 - Bike

Ratsalad

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 01:22:22 pm »
The rest of the ride.
1 - Bike at the dam
2 - Gate to picnic site but closed - pity that kloof looks inviting, must go back and find a way in.
3 - The only challenging looking photo opp I could find!

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008, 01:42:18 pm »
Nice!

Does that mean you're up and running again ?

How's the back?

I take it someone had to pry you off the bike with a koevoet or coax you in to the house with biscuits after you started riding again ?

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2008, 01:42:35 pm »
Oh and blerrie lekker photos!

W.

Ratsalad

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2008, 02:20:58 pm »
I've been riding around town for a couple of days already and my back is OK, just slight pain now and then but it's just as bad in the 4x4 on the gravel roads and even worse when the going gets really rough (can't stand up in a car).
Used wifes car for 2x longer tar trips - it's one of those very low Hondas and I'm like an old man getting in and out of that thing but it uses less fuel and is a lot faster!
This morning was a longer test run, the petrol bill is killing me so I can't wait to use the bike again and also wanted to keep this thread alive!

Offline SGB

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • 1190R / 1200 GS LC / Husaberg TE 300
    • DS Rider Training
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2008, 07:27:11 pm »
No idea about the area, but nice pics!
www.countrytrax.co.za

Riding a bike is not just about riding the bike....
Do not believe everything you think....

David van Breda

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2008, 10:22:48 pm »
Jisliaak,

These pics are lovely and makes me jealous!  I am gonna find it very hard to work this year !  >:D

How many kms on average do you cover in a day Blikners?

Offline Jerrycan

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • TW #2
    • Photogallery
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2008, 02:16:07 pm »
Well done again, one of my motto's: Have camera will travel which I adapted to have petrol will move...
Have petrol will move
RIDE REPORTS:
One dog and a bitch, on trip to Kommandodrift http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13086.0
One dog and a bitch, TW's to the sea http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=13333.0

Ratsalad

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2008, 02:03:53 pm »
1 - Nice scenic route before you hit the dry roads
2 - Same road
3 - Last one of the same road
4 - Old Toll house on the Infanta road

Ratsalad

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2008, 02:07:46 pm »
Visited a friend for a couple of hours, then headed for Potberg. I love those old sandstone buildings and wanted to get some photos of them.
Here's the pics"