Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: 2 Day Ride to East of Wuppertal - Tra Tra trail  (Read 5893 times)

Offline DikZol

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Jer 1:17-19
Re: 2 Day Ride to East of Wuppertal - Tra Tra trail
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 11:03:19 pm »
Shit ou! Die 990 is al wat ek het, en 230 plaasbike. Het Riaan vir julle wortels vir padkos saamgevat? LOL, ou binnekring grappie. Great dat jy nog foto's ook geneem het. Ek het van die begin af gedink julle is bedonnerd om in die hitte in daai wereld te wil infoeter. Maar nou ja, daar is mos nie pille vir domgeit nie. Gelukkig hou ouens soos julle die forum intereassant!

Die 230 is jou antwoord.  Die 990 gaan jou geld kos.  Ek sal later damage report post.

Offline DikZol

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 11:04:28 pm »
Great report! Cant wait for rest!
Always amazed that one always ends up doing extreme routes in extremes of climate- either scorching heat or ice cold and snow.

Ons was gewaarsku, maar ignorance is 'n lelike ding!

Offline DikZol

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 11:05:53 pm »

Leaving the DR at the top

Last pics I took of the day

Reaching the bottom I lay down at RR's spot and just could not imagine going up that damn hill again.  After resting I did not feel better.  We had to go back up again to fetch the DR.  RR was doing better despite moaning earlier about his eyes burning from sweat, sunscreen and some vetplant's juice that somehow got in his eye when we took a break earlier.  We took the DR down ever so cautiously and again slipped and slided down all the way.  I was glad to be at the bottom.  By now it was 19:20 and the sun was going down behind the opposite mountain tops, but still some light.  We contemplated camping somewhere but rather opted to push on, especially since we could not see a decent flat spot anywhere.  

To my utter dismay we were far from done with the downhill.  More of the same punishment.  I went down once more just being too tired to stop anything.  RR help me up again since I just did not have it in me to pick that bike up alone.  It was starting to become a challenge to get on and off the bike.  We were nearly at the bottom but I was slowing us down.  My arms were jelly and I realised that I need to take it slow or risk going down hard.  RR offered to swap bikes which I accepted without a moments hesitation.  The KDX felt light and nimble, but I was still slower than RR.  He still had his backpack on plus all my luggage on the DR and just kept going.  By the time we reached the bottom at Wuppertal it was dark, but I could still make out the road in the last bit of glow.  RR asked me again what I want to do and I just signaled to push on "home" to Oasis.  

I rode in front with RR on the DR to provide some light from the rear.  We quickly fell into a rhythm and RR was doing exceptionally well to keep up and shine that light where I needed to see.  On the flatter sections I felt the energy coming back and the anticipation of a hot shower and good food made the world seem a better place.   I started to really enjoy the road despite it turning totally dark.  It must be said again:  RR did an amazing job of handling the DR and sticking to my rear to show the way with a not so bright DR light.  We encountered some rabbits on the way, but I was more worried about bigger game.  Just before Eselbank we hit some straights and the KDX was in top gear doing some lekker speed.  I had to tap off often for lack of visibility, especially on a right turn since RR was riding on my left.  On the left turns the lighting worked well and I could see through the corners.  Here and there was a bad spot, but in the dark it did not look all that bad and the KDX was just a lot of fun to ride.  I managed to go way too fast through one puddle and splashed RR with some red mud.  I noticed that I struggled more than before with visibility, but only realised afterwards that it was because of the sticky red mud that also got onto the headlight.  As the road straightened out we picked up more speed.  We reached Oasis just after 21:00.  

It was great to see that GP was also there.  Gerrit (Oasis) enquired whether I would like to have something to eat and grilled a perfect stake and chips which went down really well.  Gerrit kindly offered a bed since I did not have it in me to pitch a tent.  These people really have a lot of empathy for bikers.  He made sure I am sorted well and made sure we took in enough fluids before going off to bed.  

RR joined his family and went to bed for the night.  GP and I enjoyed a shot of Pyrat rum before also turning in.

Offline DikZol

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 12:18:45 am »
Video of RR on initial incline.  I hope this works!!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p02jQFVr_F0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/p02jQFVr_F0</a>

Offline Mambat

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 12:19:58 am »
RESPECT!
RESPECT!
RESPECT!

You are a crazy pair of baastids!

:thumleft: :o :thumleft:

KTM 990S R.I.P
Z750
YZ250
GS1150 (Sold)
Broken & Resting...................zzzzzzz

Offline DikZol

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 12:25:57 am »
RESPECT!
RESPECT!
RESPECT!

You are a crazy pair of baastids!

:thumleft: :o :thumleft:

Coming from you it means a lot thanx (at least the respect part -  :laughing4:).

Looking back a few comments:
Met two great WD mates.
In the saddle for 15 hours was just crazy, especially considering the conditions.
GP made the right call to turn back.  I must have started the DR at least 50 times on the trail which means the XR might well have left GP in a fix on the trail somewhere.
Having too much luggage made the trip a lot tougher than it needed to be.  We initially anticipated sleeping over on the trail but looking back will not recommend this only due to the weight issue.
Glad I took more than enough water (7,5 litres)
Glad I replaced the rear tyre with a new Mitas E-07.  It did pretty well given the conditions.
Grateful for the progressive fork springs I fitted last year.
I will never do this again with anything other than a plastic bike.  Both bike and body just took too much punishment.

Damage on the DR:
Bash plate took a beating with one big ding at the bottom, but I guess that is what it is there for in the first place
Soft luggage got scuffed, but not too bad.
Fine scratches on the tank - I hope to polish these out!
Right side plastic burned on the exhaust due to soft luggage pushing it in.  Considered replacing these with black plastics anyway.
Chain guide broken off - RR and I still arguing who broke it off, but I know it was him!  :pot:

Since the DR is my wife's bike I still have some explaining to do, but leaving that for tomorrow.

Thanx to my two riding buddies.  It was a tough day out, but beats doing anything else!!!  

I look forward to your side of the story and more pics.

Anyone want to join us in March on tupperware?

Offline eikeboom

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 12:41:21 am »
Sjoe! is all I have to say! Will think of a more appropriate comment to post in the afternoon...
Let's go into the mountains...there's likely to be peace and quiet

Offline Scenic Ride

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • ...for Mental Floss!
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 08:43:10 am »
Vir my is die avontuur oor, vir nou. Ek sal weer terug wees, maar beter voorbereid wees met regte toerusting.

Die res van die storie los ek vir die Manne wat dit gemaak het. Welgedaan Manne

[/quote]

Jy't seker gedink ek maak 'n grap toe ek gese' het ek kan/wil nie so iets baasraak nie , ne'!  Ek is boonop nie lus nie want 'n kwaai val kan ek nie bekostig in hospitaaltyd nie.  

Ek haal my hoed af vir julle guts egter!!!  Daai hitte is nie speletjies nie!  Hy tap jou.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:01:28 am by Scenic Ride »
Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose.

Offline Grondpaaie

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Ou Ryperd
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 09:01:23 am »
Glad nie gelag nie Ou Maat, jy weet wat ek gese het.

Hierdie is wat ek wil doen en ek is op 'n "Learning Curve" Beter beplanning ens en dis op my kerfstok een of ander tyd.

Daar is egter bq makliker paadjies vir eers. Hierdie was woes en ek haal my hoed af vir DikZol en ROV RAT, hulle mag maar brag.

Op hierdie stadium is daar 2 tipes, Die wat al die roete gedoen het en Die wat nog nie het nie, maak nie saak op watse bike nie.

Daar is Menigte ander paadjies wat ek en jy nog saam gaan ry.
Africa Twin DCT

Offline Scenic Ride

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • ...for Mental Floss!
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 09:04:24 am »
Daar is Menigte ander paadjies wat ek en jy nog saam gaan ry.

Ek hou van daai "ander" deel van die sin,  dit het potensiaal.

Well done finishers,  RESPECT!
Freedom's just another word for nothing left to loose.

Offline Riebeeker

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 09:45:17 am »
Ek is nou skoon moeg net van die ride report lees en my in te leef oor hoe julle moes voel in daai hitte en op daai tipe paaie.

Ek haal my hoed af uit respek vir julle wat die moed gehad het en dit sonder ernstige gevolge voltooi het. Wel gedaan  :thumleft:

Nou weet ek vir wie ek moet saam nooi op roetes wat ek lank terug gery het en wat ek weer wil gaan ry  :peepwall:
Don't argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 10:03:12 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/p02jQFVr_F0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/p02jQFVr_F0</a>

DikZol wie doen so heavy breathing in daai video  ;D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Major Tom

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Millerton
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 10:26:21 am »
Yo!....yo!....yo!  Glad you all made it back safely.  That looks like excruciating work.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood

F650GS Dakar - Goldilocks
DRZ400S - Hoolie Machine

Offline DikZol

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 10:34:33 am »

DikZol wie doen so heavy breathing in daai video  ;D

Skuldig soos aangekla, maar my radiator het nie lekker gewerk nie!!!

Offline See Duiwel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Passop voor!
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 11:46:43 am »
Ek sÍ weer GREAT!! :thumleft:

Riaan , waar is jou rr? Ek weet jy het 'n kameratjie wat jy lief is voor om mee te speel :ricky:
A car window is just a TV screen

Offline Kamikaze Swazi

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 01:33:50 pm »
Jis dis mal, eks baie trots op jou ouboet, al dink ek ek het die breins in die familie gekry. Kannie wag om meer te sien van die trip nie, julle's heroes.
Crashbar 1 Skaap 0

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 01:45:44 pm »
goeie werk julle ouens!! ek sou nie my DR daar oor kon kry nie, maar dit lyk na 'n epic avontuur!  :thumleft:
"all your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline Funtana

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 01:54:18 pm »
Ek was in Citrusdal karavaan park toe gaan julle daar verby en gooi brandstof in by die Toyota Garage. Ek onthou die helmut se kleur. Dit was k@k warm. Baie geluk, doen dit weer nader aan die winter. 

Offline Grondpaaie

• Ou Ryperd
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 01:57:02 pm »
Paar fototjies van my kant af

Bietjie skaduwee net voor ons die pad via Algeria na Oasis to vat

DikZol net voor ons Uitkyk Pas op is

Lastige lekkende waterkan by Oasis.

Rov Rat, lig gelaai

Daar le "Johnny's" in die verte

Net na Eselbank

Laaste afdraande in Wuppertal in

Bande word effe afgeblaas

Helemal te veel gewig!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xFY7PG4KFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD9tSUmCgz8

Nou Ja, Al wat oor is vir my om te se is.....

« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:13:42 pm by Grondpaaie »
Africa Twin DCT

Offline Sir Rat

• So it begins.
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Sir Sir Sir
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 05:13:06 pm »
Nou net terug by die huis gekom.  :thumleft:

Baie lekke rr so ver kÍrels. Ek sal so gou ek n kansie kry n paar fotos post.  :thumleft:

Miskien laai ek n video ook.  :pot: