DRZ400 (Hoolie) Inauguaral Ride at De Wildt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieterj

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

The day finally came!! Met up with HHHusky and Digital Dan at the Engen, c/o Lynnwood and Hans Strydom.  A looong tar stretch to De Wildt, where the games for the day were planned.

Nice and clean, fresh and enthusiastic at the start.
Startofroad-DeWildPoliceStation.jpg

The Hill going down
Dietergoingdown.jpg

DD looking cool
DDsblinghelmet.jpg

More airtime for DD and HHHusky
DDairtime.jpg

Huskyairtime.jpg

River crossings - DD and DieterJ

SwinDieterswim.jpg

SwimDDswim.jpg

Sploeshsplash.jpg

After all this hard work, a suitable drinks break establishment was sought.

DrinksbreakII.jpg

DrinksbreakI.jpg

After this was the infamous river bed - I've never liked sand, mostly because it's a pain in the ass on the GS, but the sand monster had to be conquered.  This was after a very short stretch, with arms pumped and rigour-mortis having set in in the hands.

Warrafukisthisstuff.jpg

The death-grip was subsequently released after realising that this baby handles sand much better, and things started looking rather professional after that...

Thatsbetter.jpg

Dietersmallriverbed.jpg

Well, almost...

Dieterpaddlinginrocks.jpg

DD leading the way (so where the hell did the cameraman come from??)

Rockyriverbed.jpg

Much more fun was had on the tracks, etc, etc, but eventually the time came to go home, and more importantly for carniverous dogs, some chow.  Stopped in at the Dros in Zambezi - people out for the family Sunday lunch when we dropped the establishment class rating - dirty, smelly, dressed funny and helmet hair (not HHHusky).  But, the kill tasted goooood

YumyumII.jpg

Yumyum1.jpg

The trusty steeds waited outside....

Endoftheroad.jpg

All in all, the DR400Z was the best thing I could have done.  Bikes all have their pros and cons, and while the GS is a honey on a long stretch with dirt roads and not so much technical stuff, the DRZ fills in the gaps when playtime is required.  The sofa would have been horrible at De Wildt - some have done it, but I ain't. :nono:

As it was, the entire ride was characterised by only minor moments,  and one mudguard-modifying incident that never happened.  This bike is the right tool for the (De Wildt) job.

That said, it would seem that the best DS bike is...... ???

2 bikes :thumleft:

Thanks DD and HHH for a great ride - I'll probably feel the effects for the rest of the week.

:wave: