Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: ouch GS650 rider down in Namibia  (Read 4939 times)

Online Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
Re: ouch GS650 rider down in Namibia
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2012, 10:36:43 pm »
Oshkosh and your clever buddies , tell me why mx & enduro bikes have big front wheels. Because it makes them look better in pictures?  
why don't you just open a thread on the subject? - sure you know how....

and then you probably could discuss things like 'best' and 'adequate' and the pro's and cons of wheel diameter for sand and tar riding

now go on and take it there.... please?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:55:59 pm by Bundu »

Garfield

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2012, 10:39:32 pm »
Oshkosh and your clever buddies , tell me why mx & enduro bikes have big front wheels. Because it makes them look better in pictures? 
why don't just open a thread on the subject - sure you know how....

and then you probably could discuss things like 'best' and 'adequate' and the the pro's and cons of wheel diameter for sand and tar riding

now go on and take it there.... please?

+1 the golden rule about 21" holes, when they become deeper than 19", stop digging...

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2013, 07:46:06 am »
Calm down ladies. If you don't agree fine , but all the agro ????

And yet to see Dakar bikes with 19 inch front wheels. Guess those blokes know nothing.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2013, 09:03:19 am »
Ja, en dan natuurlik die wat net om moe.......   ek bedoel, val.   :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Like me - Sani 3 / JMOL 0 (All in 1 day).  Does it have something to do with the size of my front wheel??  No - don't think so.  Did I pack my stuff wrong?  Don't think so . . .

Wasn't my day and I had to slow down the group  :patch:  :biggrin:

What I trying to say is that a fellow rider came short and it can happen to ALL of us.  It is just waiting to happen - tik tok tik tok . . . . .

To the lady and her family - strongs and may she be on the road soon.   :thumleft:
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2013, 09:36:56 am »

And yet to see Dakar bikes with 19 inch front wheels. Guess those blokes know nothing.

Talking about agro calling the guys ladies, bitch.

Anyway, happy new year to you too.   
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2013, 09:52:07 am »
I have been away for a month.. had wild dog withdrawls big time.. finally no jet lagged anymore, come online to read this thread.

I see nothing has changed, okes wife has a bad off and the thread rages on over pages regarding wheel size.. :imaposer:

I hope the rider heals up soon.. I remember with I had my off in Namibia, it is just no joke, you are hurt, far away from home, you face weeks if not months of recovery not to mention recovering the bike, having everything fixed etc, it is a royal pain in the ass.

I love Nam, coming off on a bike comes down a little to a bit of everything, experience, bike, tyres, road conditions etc.. at the end of the day all that matters is the rider is ok.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline JMOL

• The Mayor of Mopani
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2013, 09:53:31 am »
I have been away for a month.. had wild dog withdrawls big time.. finally no jet lagged anymore, come online to read this thread.

I see nothing has changed, okes wife has a bad off and the thread rages on over pages regarding wheel size.. :imaposer:

I hope the rider heals up soon.. I remember with I had my off in Namibia, it is just no joke, you are hurt, far away from home, you face weeks if not months of recovery not to mention recovering the bike, having everything fixed etc, it is a royal pain in the ass.

I love Nam, coming off on a bike comes down a little to a bit of everything, experience, bike, tyres, road conditions etc.. at the end of the day all that matters is the rider is ok.

So true  :thumleft:
Life is hard - even harder if you are stupid.

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2013, 06:05:50 pm »
Road from Aus to Sesriem is realy bad this year.saw the bike there. Just after 14h00. this was the worst piece of the 350km streatch. if you go fast on that road someone is going to get heart.I heard fron some other bikers that someone had to get airlifted out on that road about 3 days ago. could it be the same bike. Teabag thanks for stopping for a chat. smaak my die stories oor die Kapenaars is waar. :pot: Klomp farking snobs. ek stop dood en hukke fok net verby.

Oppad Kaap toe onlamgs - greet all! No one bothers to greet back :lamer:
Op 'n Honda :peepwall:

:thumleft:

Ek sal jou ook nie groet nie :pot:
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2013, 06:29:27 pm »
Hi MTB glad CTD is in good spirits (pardon the pun). :biggrin:

I hope the healing happens quickly and she is back up in the saddle soon. :ricky:

I think I can understand now why the Groot Trek was so successful. The Dutch women are a tough bunch. :thumleft:
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2013, 07:14:21 pm »

BS you started this Now go to Garfields thread & finish it!!
The Link
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=114478.0
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2013, 07:28:50 pm »

This couple were taking a leisure ride through Nam not racing the Dakar or doing the Roof surely you can understand that, your reasoning is faulty let it go.
While a 21" rim is better in certain circumstances it IS NOT ESSENTIAL.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Rmarais

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #111 on: January 01, 2013, 08:40:19 pm »
My 2 cents worth....   Looking at the road where the lady fell off I don't think the wheel size has anything to do with it. More probably the crap front suspension that threw her.

Recently my wife and I did a trip through Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Bolivia with Compass expeditions - the only bikes they were offering were two GS650's - we both ride KTMs here, me on a 990S and she on a standard 990. So we had some adjusting to do - the 650s were surprisingly stable on the long deep sand roads in the Atacama desert, even with the 19" front.

BUT, the moment there are any corrugations, hard surface or sandy, the handlebars tries to shake out of your hands because the front suspension is way inadequate to handle it. My wife had exactly the same experience on hers.  We had to slow down a lot to not get thrown; where I know on the same road with our KTMs we would have gone way faster without having any moments.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #112 on: January 01, 2013, 09:05:34 pm »
Roads the wife and I drove last August. With BMs (note: not 650s or GSs). Note however the 19".

And the wife. Pure concentration and faith.

eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #113 on: January 02, 2013, 12:31:43 am »

Recently my wife and I did a trip through Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Bolivia with Compass expeditions

Did you do a RR, I would love to read it.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #114 on: January 02, 2013, 06:30:44 am »

This couple were taking a leisure ride through Nam not racing the Dakar or doing the Roof surely you can understand that, your reasoning is faulty let it go.
While a 21" rim is better in certain circumstances it IS NOT ESSENTIAL.  

+1

but seeing the Dakar was brought up, have a look at these two exampkes - 21 inch front NOT ESSENTIAL on Dakar either it seems..

Jan 13, 2012

2010 Aprilia

:evil6:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 06:35:43 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #115 on: January 02, 2013, 06:36:13 am »
 :spitcoffee:
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2013, 08:07:20 am »
I never thought I'd see the day where this forum would evolve to the point where 19" wheels was considered OK for general DS. :D There may be hope for the forum yet. 8) There have been threads on this forum where new models were shot down as kaark outright just because it had a 19" front. Go figure.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:08:59 am by Trailrider »

Offline Moondog

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • AKA : Tony
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2013, 10:32:51 am »
I never thought I'd see the day where this forum would evolve to the point where 19" wheels was considered OK for general DS. :D There may be hope for the forum yet. 8) There have been threads on this forum where new models were shot down as kaark outright just because it had a 19" front. Go figure.

Seriously - take the 'inch' discussion elsewhere - there are more appropriate threads!

Please use this thread in support of CTD and MB - here's hoping for a speedy recovery!
Life is tough - get a helmet!

Offline Rolling Stone

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2013, 10:42:18 am »
please give us an update on how the rider is doing. Heard a story yesterday of someone from Swakop that went to collect a bike that was abandoned with the  keys still in it. Speedy recovery for both bike and rider. With swambo I try to keep the speed lower, but you can't help but to give it gas on some of these roads.Roads up here in the north are much better. will be going back down the eastern side. Less tourists to bugger up the roads. Baz from Brandberg rest camp took me for an awsome early morning run before breakfast.

Offline pirata

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2013, 10:42:36 am »

Seriously - take the 'inch' discussion elsewhere - there are more appropriate threads!

Please use this thread in support of CTD and MB - here's hoping for a speedy recovery!

+1