Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: ouch GS650 rider down in Namibia  (Read 4945 times)

Offline lifeofgareth

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
    • Drug Addiction Treatment & Alcohol Rehab Centres
Re: ouch GS650 rider down in Namibia
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2013, 07:06:20 pm »
Not nice to see.  Hope he/she's okay.

+10
If you don't have a limp like a township dog - you're not doing it right. Go back & try again.
KTM 950 SE
website: http://WeDoRecover.com/rehab-facilities/rehab-sa.html

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2013, 02:28:37 pm »
Damn, never nice to hear about such an off.
I'd like to ask what speed you two were travelling at at the time of the off, but I think maybe you shouldn't answer me, or we'll have another 10 page discussion about the appropriate speed to ride nam.  :P

Hope CTD heals ok and that she's back on a bike soon.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Rolling Stone

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2013, 03:11:43 pm »
Damn, never nice to hear about such an off.
I'd like to ask what speed you two were travelling at at the time of the off, but I think maybe you shouldn't answer me, or we'll have another 10 page discussion about the appropriate speed to ride nam.  :P

Hope CTD heals ok and that she's back on a bike soon.

Hi Leon

With the Namibia roads you can go at speeds up to 160 or sometimes the roads can be so bad that you  need to travel at say 60km hour and be wide awake. That specific section was some of the worst we encountered in Nam. Lots of loose gravel and deep ruts. It would be very tricky to cross from one track to the other.  The slightest mistake there would have you on the deck.  No matter what you were riding.
What I also found in Nam is that if you are going too slow the front washes out even easier. You need to maintain some speed in order to keep the bike on track.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 03:21:45 pm by Rolling Stone »

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2013, 09:00:36 pm »
I resent my comments being dissed as bullshit

Well sir, if you post bullshit you have to be prepared for it to be called exactly that.
And calling bullshit for what it is, is hardly 'dissing' it.

Fuck me, both my daughter and I should have been dead by your 19" standards by now, (she rides a 17" front where guys like you who "can ride" will not dare go with a 4x4), yet we are still OK, fancy that.

As kak praat kolletjies gehad het...

No bullshit this from Badseed......despite all the riding gods on here having done ample trips suddenly on 19" fronts, this thread is about poor Crash Test Dummy, and for her this streetbike did not work out. Really sorry about your bad luck CTD, recover well.
I would think twice taking that excuse for a bike on a trip involving even that thin layer of sand.

Garfield

« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2013, 09:02:46 pm »
I resent my comments being dissed as bullshit

Well sir, if you post bullshit you have to be prepared for it to be called exactly that.
And calling bullshit for what it is, is hardly 'dissing' it.

Fuck me, both my daughter and I should have been dead by your 19" standards by now, (she rides a 17" front where guys like you who "can ride" will not dare go with a 4x4), yet we are still OK, fancy that.

As kak praat kolletjies gehad het...

No bullshit this from Badseed......despite all the riding gods on here having done ample trips suddenly on 19" fronts, this thread is about poor Crash Test Dummy, and for her this streetbike did not work out. Really sorry about your bad luck CTD, recover well.
I would think twice taking that excuse for a bike on a trip involving even that thin layer of sand.

:imaposer:

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2013, 09:05:32 pm »
een ding wat ons vir seker weet: 2strokedan sal nooit verander nie en is konstant dieselfde
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2013, 08:38:14 am »
??? ???Thanks for those pearls of wisdom BS. My previous bike prior to the 990, was a GS 1200 on which Imanaged about 40k km';s prior to buying my 990 in mid Aug last year. I've managed about 40k km's on that to date - I don't commute. My wife replaced her prev single cylinder 650GS with this one, but hasn't ridden that much in the last year, but being fairly capable off road -  she chose this bike specifically because she is vertically challenged and didn't want a single as a dual purpose bike(she used hers for an amount of commuting). The twin 650 GS has the same /similar set up to the 1200 GS/Adv, V-Strom, 1200 Tenere etc innthat they all share 19"front and 17"rear wheels. They aren't as focused as the KTM's or other single cylinder, 21"front wheel bikes out there, but they are good dual sport bikes. She also comes from a mountain biking back ground and isn't an idiot. She packed her gear responsibly with heavy items low down ???, with very little excess, other than spare water for the long stretches in the arid areas we passed through.

In short, she got caught out by a bad peice of sand road and paid the price. I certainly wouldn't recommend that everyone on this forum that doesn't have a semi motorcross/enduro bike sell their pride and joy for the express purpose of surviving a relatively short bad sand area, out of a trip of aproximately 500km's - life would become boring if we all rode KTM's.

I think after this tirade I will revert to reading and non posting, as is my normal practice. Seems that there is always someone with nothing to say, who's going to say it anyway.

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
SÍ hulle. n Fokapie is almal se voorland, want daar is ne twee soorte bikers. Die wat geval het en die wat nog nie geval het nie. my persoonlike opinie oor die wat nog nie geval het nie. "Julle ry soos sussies"  ;D
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline VaalBaas

• Forum Whore
  • Sogenaamde Vleismeester
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2013, 08:40:58 am »
CTD rus maar lekker en bly kwaad vir n paar dae, want lag is seer.  :lol8: :thumleft:
2006 Hp2 # 882 #1555 #1784 - 2008 R1200 GSA -  2009 R1200 S - 1998 R1200 C - 2020 RnineT Pure
2012 TW200
My eertse foutjie KTM RC8 en toe nog n 525 ook
Project Bikes - 2003 Yamaha 350 Banshee SE - 2006 Yamaha 200 Blaster SE - TW200
As ek nie gister gedoen wat ek gedoen het nie, het ek nie vandag geweet wat ek weet(en ek weet nog steeds nie wat ek doen)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2013, 01:48:19 pm »
Ja, lag gaan baie seer wees, en o alla, daai omdraai op die ander sy snags!

Offline Vlakhaas

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2013, 05:54:13 pm »
Alle sterkte aan CTD. Ek het nie eers geweet ek het soveel ribbes soos sy gebreek het nie!

Op hierdie staduim is al ons grondpaaie maar lekker kak. Die graders het nou weer begin maar die hoeveelheid SA voertuie is net verstommend.

'n Groot probleem is dat eerstens die skraper kontrakte is almal laat laasjaar uit die bloute aan affirmative action candidates toegeken is, en 'n groot hoeveelheid van hulle het geen benul wat hulle doen nie, en is ook nie baie gepla nie. 'n Paar van die ouer kontrakteurs het darem weer hier en daar begin werk, so ons sal maar sien.

Tweedens is baie van die paaie al tot in die base course in geskraap, met die gevolg dat die pad dan weer baie vinnig uitry. Die oppervlak wat  jy nou op ry was nooit ontwerp om verkeer te dra nie. Sekere dele word nou ge-rehabiliteer, maar dit sal jare neem om te voltooi.

Op die oomblik is die pad tussen Sesriem en Walvis basies onrybaar op plekke.

NS: My GSA het 'n 19" voorwiel en al 80 000km op, omtrend alles Nam se grondpaaie. Ek ry nie stadig nie en is nog spring lewendig