Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: ouch GS650 rider down in Namibia  (Read 4936 times)

Offline SuperDavexlv750r

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
    • My business
Re: ouch GS650 rider down in Namibia
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2012, 07:36:44 pm »
Road from Aus to Sesriem is realy bad this year.saw the bike there. Just after 14h00. this was the worst piece of the 350km streatch. if you go fast on that road someone is going to get heart.I heard fron some other bikers that someone had to get airlifted out on that road about 3 days ago. could it be the same bike. Teabag thanks for stopping for a chat. smaak my die stories oor die Kapenaars is waar. :pot: Klomp farking snobs. ek stop dood en hukke fok net verby.

Oppad Kaap toe onlamgs - greet all! No one bothers to greet back :lamer:
If you don't wings - you will never fly!

Honda XLV 750 R, Suzuki DR 650 R, Honda CBR1100xx (Blackbird), Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin, Suzuki RF 900 R, Yamaha FJ 1100, Honda CBX 1000, Suzuki GT 750, Yamaha DT 125

Offline boere

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2012, 09:00:38 pm »
Road from Aus to Sesriem is realy bad this year.saw the bike there. Just after 14h00. this was the worst piece of the 350km streatch. if you go fast on that road someone is going to get heart.I heard fron some other bikers that someone had to get airlifted out on that road about 3 days ago. could it be the same bike. Teabag thanks for stopping for a chat. smaak my die stories oor die Kapenaars is waar. :pot: Klomp farking snobs. ek stop dood en hukke fok net verby.

Oppad Kaap toe onlamgs - greet all! No one bothers to greet back :lamer:
Op 'n Honda :peepwall:

Ek sal jou ook nie groet nie :pot:

Offline mountainbiker

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 09:41:19 am »
Hi ALL,
The unlucky biker was my wife Brigitta - aka Crash test Dummy. She is reasonably experienced, but eventually lost it in the sand. I don't want to fuel any fires here, but my 990 handled the conditions just fine. It could have been worse, I travel with Satphone etc, but was helped by an old family friend, who lives in Nam and just happened to pass there about 8 minutes after the accident, and took her to Luderitz hospital. From there she was airlifted to Vergelegen hospital at Somerset west in the Cape.

She has 10 broken ribs, broken ankle and some serious bruising, we'd ridden about 400 odd km's/day for the previous couple of days leading up to the incident, with no mishap. We were cutting across to stay in the sossus/sesriem area for acouple of days to do day trips without all the luggage etc when this happened.

Anyway, still have unfinished business in Namibia and will have to go back, albeit without CTD on a bike. The areas that we saw were fantastic, pity the trip was cut short, the Hollander is made of stern stuff and she will be back.
The quiet and solitude of the wide open places

Offline Bie

• Local Mods
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Winners never quit, Quitters never win.
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 09:45:07 am »
Did she get that name before this trip or thereafter? Glad she is relatively OK-ish.  :thumleft:
Kom ons maak 'n stoffie.

Offline ThomTom

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 09:45:42 am »
Best wishes to a speedy recovery!

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 09:45:58 am »
With all those broken ribs please do not tell her any jokes. :deal:
I know how it feels :eek7: :biggrin:
Hope she is out of hospital soon.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Online Offshore

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 09:51:08 am »
Hi ALL,
The unlucky biker was my wife Brigitta - aka Crash test Dummy. She is reasonably experienced, but eventually lost it in the sand. I don't want to fuel any fires here, but my 990 handled the conditions just fine. It could have been worse, I travel with Satphone etc, but was helped by an old family friend, who lives in Nam and just happened to pass there about 8 minutes after the accident, and took her to Luderitz hospital. From there she was airlifted to Vergelegen hospital at Somerset west in the Cape.

She has 10 broken ribs, broken ankle and some serious bruising, we'd ridden about 400 odd km's/day for the previous couple of days leading up to the incident, with no mishap. We were cutting across to stay in the sossus/sesriem area for acouple of days to do day trips without all the luggage etc when this happened.

Anyway, still have unfinished business in Namibia and will have to go back, albeit without CTD on a bike. The areas that we saw were fantastic, pity the trip was cut short, the Hollander is made of stern stuff and she will be back.
 :eek7:
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
KTM 990
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Online Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2012, 10:56:57 am »
Eina; I hope she recovers soon.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline wackhead

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2012, 11:10:00 am »
Hi Mountainbiker

Glad your wife is well under the circumstances.  I dont kow that her forum name was a good omen!  She must love you more than ever!! :)

Hope her pain is not too horrendous, but the Dutch are bloody tough beasties!!

Regards
Paul

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2012, 11:39:15 am »
I know this is Probably a bad time to harp on about this but that bike is not meant to be ridden offroad. 19 inch front wheels in sand are a no no , especially for less experienced riders. I think I can ride a bit and I won't take one offroad , and I certainly won't let my wife (ex mx rider and SA downhill Mtn bike champ) ride one offroad. They are great road bikes and commuters but the benefits of there comfort will be way exceeded by the handling prowess of a DR650 or the likes.

I'm glad things worked out ok and hope she heals quickly , both physically and mentally.

The tank will no doubt be a right off , now go shopping for a more suitable bike . My 990 was recently in for a repair and I used a mates DR650 for a trip up to and along the Orange River. The offroad and thick sand bits were like cheating and the long tar bits home no problem cruising at a relaxed 130/140km/h. A small screen (available) would make it a perfect tourer.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline ButchH

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ми тебе тиснути
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2012, 12:45:35 pm »
Wow sorry to hear I hope CTD heals fast you are going to have to be patient those rid thingamabobs take ages to heal 
GSA 1150
XL 250
GS 1200

Offline mountainbiker

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2012, 04:36:29 pm »
 ??? ???Thanks for those pearls of wisdom BS. My previous bike prior to the 990, was a GS 1200 on which Imanaged about 40k km';s prior to buying my 990 in mid Aug last year. I've managed about 40k km's on that to date - I don't commute. My wife replaced her prev single cylinder 650GS with this one, but hasn't ridden that much in the last year, but being fairly capable off road -  she chose this bike specifically because she is vertically challenged and didn't want a single as a dual purpose bike(she used hers for an amount of commuting). The twin 650 GS has the same /similar set up to the 1200 GS/Adv, V-Strom, 1200 Tenere etc innthat they all share 19"front and 17"rear wheels. They aren't as focused as the KTM's or other single cylinder, 21"front wheel bikes out there, but they are good dual sport bikes. She also comes from a mountain biking back ground and isn't an idiot. She packed her gear responsibly with heavy items low down ???, with very little excess, other than spare water for the long stretches in the arid areas we passed through.

In short, she got caught out by a bad peice of sand road and paid the price. I certainly wouldn't recommend that everyone on this forum that doesn't have a semi motorcross/enduro bike sell their pride and joy for the express purpose of surviving a relatively short bad sand area, out of a trip of aproximately 500km's - life would become boring if we all rode KTM's.

I think after this tirade I will revert to reading and non posting, as is my normal practice. Seems that there is always someone with nothing to say, who's going to say it anyway.
The quiet and solitude of the wide open places

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2012, 04:54:01 pm »
??? ???Thanks for those pearls of wisdom BS. My previous bike prior to the 990, was a GS 1200 on which Imanaged about 40k km';s prior to buying my 990 in mid Aug last year. I've managed about 40k km's on that to date - I don't commute. My wife replaced her prev single cylinder 650GS with this one, but hasn't ridden that much in the last year, but being fairly capable off road -  she chose this bike specifically because she is vertically challenged and didn't want a single as a dual purpose bike(she used hers for an amount of commuting). The twin 650 GS has the same /similar set up to the 1200 GS/Adv, V-Strom, 1200 Tenere etc innthat they all share 19"front and 17"rear wheels. They aren't as focused as the KTM's or other single cylinder, 21"front wheel bikes out there, but they are good dual sport bikes. She also comes from a mountain biking back ground and isn't an idiot. She packed her gear responsibly with heavy items low down ???, with very little excess, other than spare water for the long stretches in the arid areas we passed through.

In short, she got caught out by a bad peice of sand road and paid the price. I certainly wouldn't recommend that everyone on this forum that doesn't have a semi motorcross/enduro bike sell their pride and joy for the express purpose of surviving a relatively short bad sand area, out of a trip of aproximately 500km's - life would become boring if we all rode KTM's.

I think after this tirade I will revert to reading and non posting, as is my normal practice. Seems that there is always someone with nothing to say, who's going to say it anyway.

I wouldn't be too bothered about BS's BS comment....  ::) :thumleft:

Please let us know how your wife is doing and what happened to the bike?

Offline Gypsybaron

• It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go.
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2012, 05:03:11 pm »
I hope she heals soon. Looking at the pictures of the bike, she must be quite eina. I'm glad she survived- Just for interest's sake, did she wear a neck brace? Was that pannier & topbox damaged during the fall, or was it vandalised?
“All education is self-education. A teacher is only a guide, to point out the way, and no school, no matter how excellent, can give you education. What you receive is like the outlines in a child’s coloring book. You must fill in the colors yourself.” Louis L'Amour - The lonesome gods

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2012, 05:04:47 pm »
mountainbiker... sorry to hear of CTD off, may she make a full recovery. :thumleft:
I was waiting with baited breath to hear what had really happened and am very glad she was assisted so quickly. From hearing other stories all I can say is that those Namibians are the most wonderful people and go out of their way to help out in accident cases.
Accidents happen to even the best, so forget all the comments and hope to see you both riding again soon.

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2012, 05:10:24 pm »
Mountainbiker, my very best wishes to Brigitta and hope she recovers well from here ankle and ribs. Pretty sore! These things happen and are always a combination of conditions and rider control. Sometimes we get it wrong and thats what happened. Sounds like she knows how to handle her stuff on that bike just like mine does on her 650 GS.

There are people here who see themselves as "riding Gods" and will tell you all kinds of bullshit about riding these bike off roads. They like to profess their  great experience and knowledge with 20/20 hindsight about something, I think to feed their own egos ::) , while guys like you and me actually get out there grab the bull by the horns and do stuff with out machines. So I take my hat off to the two of you and hope you get back on the road soon. Forget the people who put you down and take the good from the rest of us; There are still a lot of good dogs out there.

The 650GS has a 19 inch front wheel which makes it s little harder to ride in deep sand, but not impossible. My wife also took a 650GS because of the height challenge. We did this in 2008 and she has never crashed badly on it to date, but she is nervous about sand quite understandibly, and probably not as good a rider as crash test dummy. Despite this she is growing mor confident every day and rally enjoys her bike.

Cheers

Neil

PS Posting under the influence of morphine so my speling sucks
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 05:12:34 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Garfield

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2012, 05:17:25 pm »
Glad to read that your wife is sort of OK, hope she heals up swiftly and without any lingering issues  :thumleft:

W.r.t. the 19" bullshit  :spitcoffee:

Offline MINZI

• Under Construction!
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • Right here, right now, nothing else matters.
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »
I know this is Probably a bad time to harp on about this but that bike is not meant to be ridden offroad. 19 inch front wheels in sand are a no no , especially for less experienced riders. I think I can ride a bit and I won't take one offroad , and I certainly won't let my wife (ex mx rider and SA downhill Mtn bike champ) ride one offroad. They are great road bikes and commuters but the benefits of there comfort will be way exceeded by the handling prowess of a DR650 or the likes.

I'm glad things worked out ok and hope she heals quickly , both physically and mentally.

The tank will no doubt be a right off , now go shopping for a more suitable bike . My 990 was recently in for a repair and I used a mates DR650 for a trip up to and along the Orange River. The offroad and thick sand bits were like cheating and the long tar bits home no problem cruising at a relaxed 130/140km/h. A small screen (available) would make it a perfect tourer.

Nothing wrong with taking the bike offroad. My wife rides hers on sand, mud and rocks. Slower than others, but she still rides it. Did a couple of thousand k's on it without any major mishap.
If you do not STAND for something, you will FALL for anything!

Online Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2012, 05:49:17 pm »
Glad to read that your wife is sort of OK, hope she heals up swiftly and without any lingering issues  :thumleft:

W.r.t. the 19" bullshit  :spitcoffee:

I agree with the 19" bullshit; I did 4000km of dirt touring on a motard with a 17" front wheel, using motard slicks. I never fell off, and we did mud, sand and river crossings. And if you think I was going slowly ask the guys behind me how slowly they were going.

Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline red baron

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2012, 05:50:36 pm »
Great to hear that she is on the road to recovery & close to home. Well that makes my mind up it will be the R80 gs PD to namibia with 21 inch front wheel & all. Get well soon.
if u cant be a good example be a great warning to others