Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: ouch GS650 rider down in Namibia  (Read 4937 times)

Offline JVR

• Bike: BMW F800GS
Re: ouch GS650 rider down in Namibia
« Reply #80 on: December 31, 2012, 05:57:39 pm »
I resent my comments being dissed as bullshit

Well sir, if you post bullshit you have to be prepared for it to be called exactly that.
And calling bullshit for what it is, is hardly 'dissing' it.

Fuck me, both my daughter and I should have been dead by your 19" standards by now, (she rides a 17" front where guys like you who "can ride" will not dare go with a 4x4), yet we are still OK, fancy that.

As kak praat kolletjies gehad het...
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :imaposer:
Life's not short,it is the longest thing you'll ever do.

Garfield

« Reply #81 on: December 31, 2012, 06:05:11 pm »
Sorry guys, maybe I am a bit too over the top about this, but funny thing is my wife and daughter who do not know what size their bikes front wheels are will more than likely out-ride a number of self proclaimed WD riding gods.

Rynet seemed to be OK with a 19" front for a while (Rynet, het jy geweet jy mag nie so ry nie?)

The only real important questions on this thread should be...
- How is the rider doing?
- Will she be riding again soon?

Offline ButchH

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ми тебе тиснути
« Reply #82 on: December 31, 2012, 06:07:45 pm »
Sorry guys, maybe I am a bit too over the top about this, but funny thing is my wife and daughter who do not know what size their bikes front wheels are will more than likely out-ride a number of self proclaimed WD riding gods.

Rynet seemed to be OK with a 19" front for a while (Rynet, het jy geweet jy mag nie so ry nie?)

The only real important questions on this thread should be...

+1
GSA 1150
XL 250
GS 1200

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #83 on: December 31, 2012, 06:18:31 pm »

Rynet seemed to be OK with a 19" front for a while (Rynet, het jy geweet jy mag nie so ry nie?)The only real important questions on this thread should be...

:imaposer: :imaposer: nee ek het nie geweet nie . 

Yes shame I just heard it was MountainBiiker's wife who had the off. I had seen the foto of the damaged bike earlier on in the thread , but just found out now that it was Brigitta . I feel so bad for her , 10 broken ribs and broken ankle , ouch that must be very painful .  They were so excited about the holiday and then this happens   :'( . Yes, sadly the Namibia roads have been responsible for a lot of falls.

Yes I also resent 'know -it -alls " who generously give of their fount of knowledge at a time when the rest of us just want to know what happened and whether the rider was ok. No rider wants to be judged when the fall is still so fresh and the injuries so painful. Especially if it the age old BMW Bashing we tend to have from some riding gods.

3 weeks ago a KTM 990 fell on the way to Oases and I had to play Nurse. I see no one told him he was on the wrong bike , or blamed him in any way. We respected him and gave him the support , as one does , when we have a bike accident , and if you ride a bike , we all will come short at some time or another.  All the best Brigitta, and please don't stop posting M- Biker , just because of one ill -times post.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #84 on: December 31, 2012, 06:26:22 pm »
I resent my comments being dissed as bullshit , but the fact of the matter is that the GS650 is a road bike , with a limited capacity to go on good dirt roads. I have done a couple of hundred kms on one and I will be very hesitant to attempt a sand road on one. I had no intention to start another anti BM thread (I also have a BMW) , but only hope that I can prevent another lady rider from seriously hurting herself. I seriously am impressed by guys with the balls to take the big BM's into really rough stuff, they really are harder to ride than the big KTM's and other smaller bikes (KLR , XR , DR , etc.)

I in no way want to take away from the fact that I am relieved that CTD seems to be okay , and the stress her hubby must have felt , so lets try and prevent others having the same bad luck.

ps. even the Dakar has limited the capacity of the bikes because the bigger bikes were to dangerous and to many riders were dying.

Google the word "tactful".....

If you want to play the "I told you so.... you should have known better" game and share your limitless expertise with the forum, open a thread on the subject, that you obviously feel so strong about.

@Mountainbiker, please let us know how things are going?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 06:26:45 pm by Bundu »

Offline Andre E

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • McDonalds Accommodation, Queenstown
« Reply #85 on: December 31, 2012, 06:26:49 pm »
Daar is twee tipe bikers, een wat al geval het en een wat nog gaan val..... :dontknow:
Don't be kak, be lekker.
What is this life, if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

Offline mountainbiker

« Reply #86 on: December 31, 2012, 06:28:26 pm »
Two days back home and CTD is doing ok, back on beer again, so must be improving. Maybe my nursing/administrations are too good! Thanks for all the support Guys - I was just a bit touchy the other day.  :laughing4:Ma vra al klaar of sy weer a Ducati monster kan kry - miskien a bietjie van die grond paaie afbly vir eers. Any way, we'll see.

Was going to do RR with pics, but trip was shortened - will have to organise Nam trip again, probably with back up vehicle to carry gear etc to central points and meet up in evenings - I think I have a volunteer driver!
Regards
MB
The quiet and solitude of the wide open places

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2012, 06:30:41 pm »
good to hear MB!  :thumleft:

Tough as nails, daai kaaskoppe  ;) :lol8:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 06:31:13 pm by Bundu »

Garfield

« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2012, 06:33:02 pm »
Two days back home and CTD is doing ok, back on beer again, so must be improving. Maybe my nursing/administrations are too good! Thanks for all the support Guys - I was just a bit touchy the other day.  :laughing4:Ma vra al klaar of sy weer a Ducati monster kan kry - miskien a bietjie van die grond paaie afbly vir eers. Any way, we'll see.

Was going to do RR with pics, but trip was shortened - will have to organise Nam trip again, probably with back up vehicle to carry gear etc to central points and meet up in evenings - I think I have a volunteer driver!
Regards
MB

:thumleft: goed om te lees Mamma raak beter.

Am planning a 2/3 week Nam trip for next year, maybe this is the start of something...

Warning: I am probably fucked from day one riding a bike with a 19" front.

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
« Reply #89 on: December 31, 2012, 06:35:01 pm »

Regards
MB

Awesome , tell her we are all rooting for her .  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Online Oshkosh

« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2012, 06:36:03 pm »
Great News the beer will heal anyting  :thumleft: :thumleft:
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Offline Wildcoast

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2012, 06:39:30 pm »
Looking at the state of that GS it was no small off, glad your missus is not seriously injured, wishing a speedy recovery to her.

Offline tgg

• Bike: Piaggio (all models)
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2012, 06:41:47 pm »
I see most of the replies are in the christmas spirit, so I would refer you to the "ek raak nou gatvol thread in jou  ma"

how many of the persons with all their info of riding, have actually done that one in namibia, that road is not at  all fun, I did that road last year in a cage and will not ever again

Garfield

« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2012, 06:45:55 pm »
I see most of the replies are in the christmas spirit, so I would refer you to the "ek raak nou gatvol thread in jou  ma"

how many of the persons with all their info of riding, have actually done that one in namibia, that road is not at  all fun, I did that road last year in a cage and will not ever again

Ek hoop nie jou kar het 19" voorwiele nie, dan kan jy dankbaar wees jy lewe nog...

:peepwall:

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2012, 07:08:29 pm »
I see most of the replies are in the christmas spirit, so I would refer you to the "ek raak nou gatvol thread in jou  ma"

how many of the persons with all their info of riding, have actually done that one in namibia, that road is not at  all fun, I did that road last year in a cage and will not ever again

Done it on a 19 inch front wheel with a pillion with a loaded bike (topbox), and I am no Alfie Cox.  Just go and enjoy it.  We tend to focus to much on external circumstances instead of the reason we are there for.

Two days back home and CTD is doing ok, back on beer again, so must be improving. Maybe my nursing/administrations are too good! Thanks for all the support Guys - I was just a bit touchy the other day.  :laughing4:Ma vra al klaar of sy weer a Ducati monster kan kry - miskien a bietjie van die grond paaie afbly vir eers. Any way, we'll see.

Regards
MB

Bly om te hoor dit gaan beter.  Voorspoedige 2013 vir julle en baie veilige kilos. 
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L..

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2012, 07:15:21 pm »
Daar is twee tipe bikers, een wat al geval het en een wat nog gaan val..... :dontknow:

Ja, en dan natuurlik die wat net om moe.......   ek bedoel, val.   :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline hayleyscomet

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Always Keen to Ride
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2012, 08:01:43 pm »

Wow mountainbiker , hope the wifey gets well soon.

I did a solo tour through Nam in November and think I should thank my lucky stars I got off with only a minor low speed off.

Keep us updated.

Wane

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2012, 09:02:31 pm »
Speedy recovery to your wife, whom after this still can't wait to ride again, you're a lucky fella!

When my wife used to ride with me when she was younger her most frequent complaint(not really a complaint more a statement) on long runs was she's tired, rider fatigue plays a bigger part in "offs" than the make/type of bike one rides.

Now go buy her that Duke Monster.  ;D
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #98 on: December 31, 2012, 10:14:11 pm »
Oshkosh and your clever buddies , tell me why mx & enduro bikes have big front wheels. Because it makes them look better in pictures? 
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Garfield

« Reply #99 on: December 31, 2012, 10:25:40 pm »
Oshkosh and your clever buddies , tell me why mx & enduro bikes have big front wheels. Because it makes them look better in pictures?  

Ja moet wees, kleiner as 21" lyk fokken lewensgevaarlik op fotos  :thumleft:

My dogter is nou kak bang, sy weier nou om weer te ry met haar 17" en ek gaan nerens heen met 19" want ons is op die rand van die dood, fokken < 21" op 'n piesangskil op die rand van die graf, fok ons is nou skoon bang om te ry, se nou ons gaan dood in die sand in die driveway.

Hou asseblief op kak praat netnou glo iemand jou.

PS, ons weet jou 990 gee jou riding god status, maar as jy met jou 21" neermoer sal ons jou ook ophelp  :thumleft:
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 10:36:09 pm by Garfield »