Andre and Theresa, we do it on gravel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre E

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Or anywhere else for that matter. :biggrin:

The boys decided to stay home today. They ended up playing paintball in the dark and then X Box till the early hours of the morning, so had little interest in early rising.

One could see that it was gonna be a scorcher, so we filled the hydration packs with powerade that had spent the night in the deep freeze. After fuel we got going.

Six kilometers on the Tarkastad road we take the Flowers Halt turnoff.

IMG_0035.jpg

My riding partner for tackling the obstacles of the day. If she tackles the road as she takes on life, we'll be better than just fine. Wife, Mother, entrepeneur and party animal.

IMG_0036.jpg

Some good riding and scenery follows.

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

At kilometer sixteen we turn onto the Mierkraal road. Themometer is reading 37 degrees here. From here going is slightly more technical, with the road threatening to become a tweespoor paadjie.

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

IMG_0054.jpg

A little further on, the valley surrounded by mountains. Or hills....

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

Kilometer thirty brings another junction, we'll take the Sterkstroom route. It's a different route to what I posted last time, but will join up with that one up ahead.

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

Taking a drinks break next to a farm. The oven is hot at 38 degrees. Hydro packs are working overtime.

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0077.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

Time to carry on.

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

At kilometer fifty we join up with the main Bailey Sterkstroom road. It's fast, easy going.

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

Just a short way on we turn onto the Tarkastad road.The gauge on my bike reads 41 degrees.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

I notice a sudden change in the road, deep sandy patches. Our bikes are fitted with Anakee's, inflated for two up tar road riding. I gooi throttle, and the 1200 snakes through. In my mirror I see Theresa is of the line, only by a few inches. It's enough to grab the front, and she goes down doing sixty, in a spectacular cloud of dust. I drop my bike and run back, but she's up allready, lifting her bike.

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

I offer to check if the boobies are unscathed, and we laugh the fright away. The horse is uninterested.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

At the next junction we take a shortcut back to Queenstown. The road runs through a private game farm. It's a public road though, fenced on both sides so we are legal.

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

The final stretch to the Qtn Tarka main road and onto home, where cold beer awaits.

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

Hope it was as good for you as it was for me.

P.S. The boobies are fine, but that photo may never see daylight..... :peepwall: