Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tribute to < 21" front wheels...  (Read 4918 times)

Garfield

Tribute to < 21" front wheels...
« on: December 31, 2012, 10:58:59 pm »
Anyonone who survived riding a bike with a < 21" front wheel off tar and survived, please report here, it is a miracle after all...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:45:44 am by Garfield »

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
Re: Tribute to < 19" front wheels...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:48:14 pm »
Did mx wif a 14 inch front and quite a few off roads. No problem except stones are rocks! Never a puncture but dinged the rim a lot. Best to run higher pressure.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Nigel X

• Bike: Kreidler (all models)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 08:19:27 am »
here we go!!!!!!!!!

Quench my thirst with gasoline.
So Gimme Fuel,
Gimme Fire,
Gimme that which I desire

Offline tgg

• Bike: Piaggio (all models)
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2013, 08:57:43 am »
not a slam on < below 21 tyres, but heimer did mention that his gs handled better after he replaced the 19 with a 21.

not that he ever killed himself on the 19

Offline Flatout

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 09:42:01 am »
My Transalp700 met sy 19" voorwiel is baie meer stabiel as altwee my KLR's wat ek gehad het se 21" wiele. Gly baie minder en draai baie beter, ook op grond. Ek pillion gereeld my vrou of dogter en ry dan tegniese stukke soos bv Eselbank/Wuppertal deur sonder om op die grond te trap. Omdat ek meestal 'n vrag op het ry ek nog my bande teen 2.2/2.5 bar onderskeidelik. Op teer maak die 19" wiel 'n reuse verskil. Gewoonlik is die dikte van 'n 19" tyre meer as die van 'n 21" wat op baie fietse soos 'n Marie Biscuit lyk. Sommige ouens sal egter nooit tevrede wees nie, dalk die rede waarom bergfietse deesdae 29" wiele het.

Wees bly as jy 'n bike het en ry hom binne jou en sy vermoŽ. :ricky:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 09:47:04 am by Flatout »

Offline columbus

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 09:46:51 am »
Ō'm happy with my Varadero's 19" wheel. Never felt the need for a 21"
Allways carry a map its not good to get lost and have to eat your friends

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2013, 10:47:44 am »
I did thousands of dirt km on a motard with a 17" front wheel using motard slicks with no problems. I only ever came off once and that was me being a twatwaffle wheeling down a sandy road.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/LOLXRKv7agU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/LOLXRKv7agU</a>
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 10:49:51 am by Rough Rider »
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Padrone

• Bike: Ural (all models)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 11:10:20 am »

Wees bly as jy 'n bike het en ry hom binne jou en sy vermoŽ. :ricky:
[/quote]

+100  :thumleft:
Don't pick a fight with an old man.If he is too old to fight,he'll just kill you.
"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for"
Bikes in my garage
The Pig has left the sty.
1982 Suzuki 500DRS 2004 KLR  650    Sold Yamaha ST First edition 2012 Ural Gearup

Offline Kuifie

• Brandslang Koning
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ek Laaik Ry
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 11:30:58 am »
Enige ding loop lekker op grond

Die vfr loop nou in Nam  :ricky:  en dis n wd wat hom ry
"If the left side of your brain control the right side of your body, only left handed people are in the right mind"

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 11:31:34 am »
anything smaller than the below is useless in sand  ;)

Offline Andre E

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • McDonalds Accommodation, Queenstown
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 12:01:16 pm »
It's raining here today, think I'll stay indoors.

Anakee's on 19" rims will be the end of me if I venture outdoors today.........kak storie dis eintlik die babaraas oom. :biggrin:
Don't be kak, be lekker.
What is this life, if full of care,
we have no time to stand and stare.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 12:14:48 pm »
in case some people are wondering about this thread, it has it's origins here.....  ::)

I know this is Probably a bad time to harp on about this but that bike is not meant to be ridden offroad. 19 inch front wheels in sand are a no no , especially for less experienced riders. I think I can ride a bit and I won't take one offroad , and I certainly won't let my wife (ex mx rider and SA downhill Mtn bike champ) ride one offroad. They are great road bikes and commuters but the benefits of there comfort will be way exceeded by the handling prowess of a DR650 or the likes.

I'm glad things worked out ok and hope she heals quickly , both physically and mentally.

The tank will no doubt be a right off , now go shopping for a more suitable bike . My 990 was recently in for a repair and I used a mates DR650 for a trip up to and along the Orange River. The offroad and thick sand bits were like cheating and the long tar bits home no problem cruising at a relaxed 130/140km/h. A small screen (available) would make it a perfect tourer.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 12:16:29 pm by Bundu »

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 12:40:05 pm »
Why do people get so upset about silly things like this?

If your bike has a 19' front and it suites you, then why get upset when someone says a 21' is better on dirt - which it probably is given the that vast majority of dirt orientated bikes use 21" fronts?

If you prefer riding road orientated bikes off road thats fine, but why get upset when someone says a proper dirt bike would do better?  

I personally blame BMW marketing for all this continual confusion and nonsense because their marketing message is slightly dishonest IMO (I bought a Dakar believing their brochures - and suffered from this cognitive dissonance for quite a few years - until I rode a 690 and realised that I'd been a fool to persist in my belief of that marketing message).  They tell people that their GS bikes are the bike equivalent of a Land Rover ie designed specifically for use off road (and naturally people believe them) - but in reality they are road bikes with some off road capability - there is a subtle but important difference.  The consequence is these continual arguments!

To me it would be a lot more honest if BMW just stated the the truth - it would make zero difference to their market because the bikes are good at what they are designed for and most customers are very happy with their bikes - apart from this ongoing saga!
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 12:48:10 pm »

If your bike has a 19' front and it suites you, then why get upset when someone says a 21' is better on dirt - which it probably is given the that vast majority of dirt orientated bikes use 21" fronts?

If you prefer riding road orientated bikes off road thats fine, but why get upset when someone says a proper dirt bike would do better?  

I personally blame BMW marketing for all this continual confusion and nonsense because their marketing message is slightly dishonest IMO (I bought a Dakar believing their brochures - and suffered from this cognitive dissonance for quite a few years - until I rode a 690 and realised that I'd been a fool to persist in my belief of that marketing message).  They tell people that their GS bikes are the bike equivalent of a Land Rover ie designed specifically for use off road (and naturally people believe them) - but in reality they are road bikes with some off road capability - there is a subtle but important difference.  The consequence is these continual arguments!

To me it would be a lot more honest if BMW just stated the the truth - it would make zero difference to their market because the bikes are good at what they are designed for and most customers are very happy with their bikes - apart from this ongoing saga!

I think people 'get upset' when your wife has just been quite severely injured in an accident and then a twit tells you it's actually your fault, because of your ignorance....  :deal:

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Forum Whore
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 01:00:37 pm »
Anyonone who survived riding a bike with a < 21" front wheel off tar and survived, please report here, it is a miracle after all...

If the axle is technically 1 inch closer to the ground, does it not mean that the centre of gravity of the bike is a little bit lower and
helps with handling  or rather better handling than the 21 inch wheel ?   :pot:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 01:10:51 pm by Operator »

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 01:11:08 pm »

If the axle is technically 1 inch closer to the ground, does it not mean that the centre of gravity of the bike is a little bit lower and
helps with handling  or rather better handling than the 21 inch wheel ? 

That's true, especially if you are standing up.  :pot:

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 01:18:21 pm »
Oh my word I can't believe we debate such stuff. A 19" wheel is just fine. Even a 17" will do for some riders. A 21" is definitely better but that's only 1 factor - what about suspension, weight, ergonomics? What about rider skill? The front wheel size is just 1 of many factors (including the rider itself) that defines how well a bike handles offroad. In reference to the accident that mountainbiker's wife had - she was unlucky. Could have happened on a bike with any front wheel size. If you ride bikes offroad, you'll eventually crash, regardless of what bike you're on.

In short - yawn!

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 01:23:02 pm »
Many moons ago I rode to Koegas on my Z750... 17® front with road tyres... I actually made it. Would I do it today? Not after experiencing what a more dirt orientated bike can do on dirt, but at the same time it is not the size of the wheel but the size of the riders determination that will make the bike get to the destination intended. It may just take a bit longer... :thumleft:

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 01:40:48 pm »
People get upset when their thought process, their ability to think and to make choices, are questioned. Many years ago you had bikes. Full stop. Bikers were people who, by choice, or because they were rebels (also referred to as low class) or because of lack of funds, acquired bikes as mode of transport. With those bikes they drove where they wanted, formed gangs and exchanged experiences. They worked on their bikes, welded, chopped and modified. They were only limited by their own ingenuity and lust for life/excitement. Then came marketing. Big companies, starting with HD, began targeting certain segments of society. BMW was not to be left behind, and now you have what can be called categorization of motorcycles. People can no longer think for themselves. They buy into what has already been thought out and categorized. According to what the catalog says. I see that everyday. If you drive this bike, you must have that helmet and those shoes, and can only drive on those roads. That is absolute brain dead. You can drive where you want, with what you want. You, and only you, put down the limits. No bike, and for that matter no car, can drive itself. Only a person can make it drive. So, now you have people who, according to themselves, are intelligent, earning a good income and who bought the categorization idea, e.g. this bike for that road, this tyre for that road and by questioning that, you are actually telling them that they might be wrong. That they are actually stupid, very stupid. And nobody likes to be called stupid. Yes, certain bikes are better suited for certain roads and same for tyres. It is all up to the driver. And, mistakes are made, even with the best of tyres and/or bikes. Nothing and nobody is perfect. The question is: did you contemplate and evaluate what you are doing and are you happy with the answer you gave youself. Can you justify you own decision? Then screw the rest. Or, are you one of those who follow. Do what you are told to do by all those "experts" out there?
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 02:11:09 pm »

I think people 'get upset' when your wife has just been quite severely injured in an accident and then a twit tells you it's actually your fault, because of your ignorance....  :deal:

Ja fair enough (never saw that post), I suppose anyone would be upset in those circumstances.

The bottom line is riding a motorbike is dangerous and anyone can get hurt at any time, the size of the front wheel is not going to be a magic talisman against injury.

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.