Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tribute to < 21" front wheels...  (Read 4916 times)

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Re: Tribute to < 19" front wheels...
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2013, 02:36:35 pm »
People get upset when their thought process, their ability to think and to make choices, are questioned. .... Then came marketing. Big companies, starting with HD, began targeting certain segments of society. BMW was not to be left behind, and now you have what can be called categorization of motorcycles.

People can no longer think for themselves. They buy into what has already been thought out and categorized. According to what the catalog says. I see that everyday. If you drive this bike, you must have that helmet and those shoes, and can only drive on those roads. That is absolute brain dead.

..... So, now you have people who, according to themselves, are intelligent, earning a good income and who bought the categorization idea, e.g. this bike for that road, this tyre for that road and by questioning that, you are actually telling them that they might be wrong. That they are actually stupid, very stupid. And nobody likes to be called stupid.

.... The question is: did you contemplate and evaluate what you are doing and are you happy with the answer you gave youself. Can you justify you own decision? Then screw the rest. Or, are you one of those who follow. Do what you are told to do by all those "experts" out there?

I think there is a lot of truth in what you say.

Unfortunately too many people are intolerant of any opinion that is different to theirs.  For some reason a different opinion is interpreted as an attack.

But if someone is wrong about something, it doesn't necessarily mean they are stupid.  Very few people (if any) are right all the time.

I'm always amazed when some people try and imply on these forums that people should not express their opinions.  I can think of nothing worse than a discussion in which no one ever expressed an opinion in case their opinion wasn't the same as everyone else's.   What would be the point? And what could be more oppressive than being forced to conform to someone else's thoughts the whole time?
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Cheetah

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 02:46:47 pm »
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=114151.20
Check this link out. It's about the journey  ;D O ja and skill.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:48:16 pm by Cheetah »
As a man is, so he sees.

Bikes:
BMW R 1200 GS Adv
1981 BMW Bobber

Offline Kuifie

• Brandslang Koning
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ek Laaik Ry
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 02:52:10 pm »
Anyonone who survived riding a bike with a < 21" front wheel off tar and survived, please report here, it is a miracle after all...

If the axle is technically 1 inch closer to the ground, does it not mean that the centre of gravity of the bike is a little bit lower and
helps with handling  or rather better handling than the 21 inch wheel ?   :pot:

Centre of gravity
The bike's center of gravity stays the same--it can't change unless you move weight like luggage. The combined center of gravity of the bike & rider rises when the rider stands. The benefit of standing on the pegs is that it is easier to move the bike around under the rider's stable upper body. Somewhat the same benefit can be gained sitting and keeping the rider's trunk, arms, legs relaxed and allow the bike to move around some under the stable upper body.

The lowest (blue) circle symbol is the bike's CoG, the middle (red) symbol is the combined CoG, and the upper (green) symbol is the rider's CoG.
"If the left side of your brain control the right side of your body, only left handed people are in the right mind"

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 05:38:02 pm »
I took quite a pounding on the GS down thread thing , but I think my intentions were misunderstood , nosy that I give a flying .....
 My only motivation was some genuine advice that I thought might just save someone's life. I have no claim to 'riding god' status and never claimed so. It has been 20 years since I raced bikes and I was crap then anyway . The angle I was trying to take was that a couple of months ago Gideon Joubert loaned me a Dr650 for a tip up the west coat (Hondeklipbaai , Alexander Bay, Pela etc) which has shit load of deep soft sand , especially in summer and on previous rides up there on my 990 I battled the bike and crashed more times than I care to remember. On the DR it was a doddle, easy seated riding without an incident , almost like cheating. On top of that the final couple of hundred KMs home on the tar were not that bad either. I know for a fact that a GS650 with me riding it would have been hell. So my advise to the less experiencd riders and ladies  (generally less physically strong than the guys) not to fall into the BM or nothing mould and try a lighter easier to ride option.

Now maybe the dude is upset about his wife's crash but I doubt he is that sensitive that a bunch of bikers have to pan me the way they did.

I know you can get by on a bike with 19 inch front wheels , just like a bloke has ridden an R1 down through Africa. But I'm sure a DR would be easier.

And just in case you think I'm o'ring soft, a GS650 is a road bike!
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 06:04:08 pm »
I think the rake and trail of a bike might make an even bigger difference in sand than the difference between 19" & 21". :peepwall:

Online ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 07:13:19 pm »
I took quite a pounding on the GS down thread thing , but I think my intentions were misunderstood , nosy that I give a flying .....
 My only motivation was some genuine advice that I thought might just save someone's life. I have no claim to 'riding god' status and never claimed so. It has been 20 years since I raced bikes and I was crap then anyway . The angle I was trying to take was that a couple of months ago Gideon Joubert loaned me a Dr650 for a tip up the west coat (Hondeklipbaai , Alexander Bay, Pela etc) which has shit load of deep soft sand , especially in summer and on previous rides up there on my 990 I battled the bike and crashed more times than I care to remember. On the DR it was a doddle, easy seated riding without an incident , almost like cheating. On top of that the final couple of hundred KMs home on the tar were not that bad either. I know for a fact that a GS650 with me riding it would have been hell. So my advise to the less experiencd riders and ladies  (generally less physically strong than the guys) not to fall into the BM or nothing mould and try a lighter easier to ride option.

Now maybe the dude is upset about his wife's crash but I doubt he is that sensitive that a bunch of bikers have to pan me the way they did.

I know you can get by on a bike with 19 inch front wheels , just like a bloke has ridden an R1 down through Africa. But I'm sure a DR would be easier.

I think the big difference between the DR and your 990 is the weight and the same with the 650 Twin.
Not so much the frontwheelsize.
Haveing said that I fitted a 21" on my wife's 650 single and she loves it. No more tankslappers which it did a lot
on corregated raods.
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 07:36:41 pm »

What ever!
There are some that enjoy there 650's irrespective if it has mags or a 19" front wheel.
It's not about the Bike it's about the ride & sh@t happened so give a break!!
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 07:50:31 pm »
Why do people get so upset about silly things like this?

If your bike has a 19' front and it suites you, then why get upset when someone says a 21' is better on dirt - which it probably is given the that vast majority of dirt orientated bikes use 21" fronts?

If you prefer riding road orientated bikes off road thats fine, but why get upset when someone says a proper dirt bike would do better?  

I personally blame BMW marketing for all this continual confusion and nonsense because their marketing message is slightly dishonest IMO (I bought a Dakar believing their brochures - and suffered from this cognitive dissonance for quite a few years - until I rode a 690 and realised that I'd been a fool to persist in my belief of that marketing message).  They tell people that their GS bikes are the bike equivalent of a Land Rover ie designed specifically for use off road (and naturally people believe them) - but in reality they are road bikes with some off road capability - there is a subtle but important difference.  The consequence is these continual arguments!

To me it would be a lot more honest if BMW just stated the the truth - it would make zero difference to their market because the bikes are good at what they are designed for and most customers are very happy with their bikes - apart from this ongoing saga!

Why have a go at BMW at there marketing you decide at the end of the day what you want not BMW maketing, if that is the case then you are most gullable?Did you take any of these bikes for a test ride?
KTM profuses that their machines are Race Ready! Race to where? Some of Us mere mortals can not even race Grannie around the coffee table  :imaposer:

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 09:00:20 pm »
I did 125,000 km , including 2 Amagezas , injury -free , on my GS1200 with a 19 inch wheel and loved every minute of it .  It perfectly suited my needs . I don't need to race everywhere anymore , or commute far , so I bought a KLR which suits my needs better for now.

I find the 21 inch is better in some applications , in others it is worse . Its by no means the magical panacea it is said to be. 

The worse thing about my 19 inch ? The  constant negative comments about BMW since I joined this forum. Especially from Badseed, 2 Stroke Dan and Alan B.

And on threads when a female has had an accident, they hijack the thread by telling the woman she was on the wrong bike. Like a friend of mine who fell off the cliff at Die Hell , if it was a guy he would have been cool for overshooting the corner . Because it was a woman on a GS800 the bike was too big for her .  While the rest of us wondered whether she would be paralysed or even die, the haters came out and attacked the bike she was riding , on her accident thread . How insensitive . Start your own threads but leave the ladies alone.

I think it is about control . Preventing us females from making up our own minds , from deciding what bikes we want to ride , from enjoying the bikes we chose so carefully . Women do not buy bikes because they grab us by the balls , we are actually more likely to have done the research to get the bike that suits our many needs.  We are not gullible to fall for some marketing campaign . ( or rather our illusion as to a marketing campaign) As Wes said above , there are many many aspects of a bike that one looks at , not just wheel size. And who are you to tell someone else what is good for them? You cannot know our individual reasons and specifications . People are different , we are not all alike. We don't only ride on Sundays like the riding gods , we do other things with our bikes also.

I see you don't pick on the blokes who have accidents , just the ladies .  But please stop already . We are not idiots and we are not married to you , so please stop controlling us . 

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 09:00:44 pm »

Why have a go at BMW at there marketing you decide at the end of the day what you want not BMW maketing, if that is the case then you are most gullable?Did you take any of these bikes for a test ride?
KTM profuses that their machines are Race Ready! Race to where? Some of Us mere mortals can not even race Grannie around the coffee table  :imaposer:

Not sure what you are trying to say???

But to be clear - from my own personal experience with a BMW Dakar which I grew to really dislike,  only because I was fooled into thinking the bike was something it was not.  It was a great touring bike which could handle good gravel well, but which really handled like a pig on anything vaguely technical.  

But I persisted because after all it was called a "Dakar".  I have an off road racing back ground from my distant youth, but had started riding again after a break of 20 years so I assumed I just had lost the ability and was crap.  But after riding a proper off road DS bike (690) I finally realized it was the bike - not my lack of skill (although my skill still leaves a lot to be desired).

Thats why I hold a grudge against BMW marketing.  They are not 100% honest about what their bikes are good for - they are great tourer's but they are not off road bikes!

Thats my honest personal opinion.

I sold my Dakar and am now a very happy Husky owner.  I just wish I came to my senses sooner.  Because towards the end I rode the BMW very seldom, and it stood for long periods gathering dust in the garage,  which was a waste.  It was just the wrong bike for me.

Now don't get me wrong - I'M NOT ATTACKING YOUR CHOICE OF BIKE.  What ever bike suites you, is the right bike for you, regardless of what anyone else says or thinks.

The Dakar didnt suite me, but the marketing tended to imply that it was the bike I was looking for.  It took me a long time to realise otherwise.  So I was the fool, nobody else.

There is nothing wrong with BMW GS bikes.  They are solid and long lasting and are superp for long distance cruising which may include gravel roads.  Its just the marketing tends to mislead a bit IMO.

But anyway..

This thread about 19" wheels...

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 09:08:43 pm »

I think it is about control . Preventing us females from making up our own minds , from deciding what bikes we want to ride , from enjoying the bikes we chose so carefully . Women do not buy bikes because they grab us by the balls , we are actually more likely to have done the research to get the bike that suits our many needs. 

I see you don't pick on the blokes who have accidents , just the ladies .  But please stop already . We are not idiots and we are not married to you , so please stop controlling us . 

Rynet  from my side all I can say is that I have no desire to control anyone, male or female.

I have nothing but respect for you as a person, as well as being in your awe of your riding abilities - I know for certain that I could not ride a 1200 the way you do.

But I do say what I think.

I think its better that we all do that dont you think so?

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 09:12:56 pm »
Alan you are trying to control our decisions. Just because you were taking in by marketing does not follow that we were.  ;)

I love Nickelback. That does not follow everyone else does. In fact I know many people hate Nicklenback.  :imaposer:

People do not like to be controlled. But you are a nice guy and I know you mean it well.  :thumleft:  :3some:

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 09:21:05 pm »
For Rynet: I only repeat my post from ouch 650 down

Roads the wife and I drove last August. With BMs (note: not 650s or GSs). Note however the 19".

And the wife. Pure concentration and faith.

eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 09:22:35 pm »
Cool bikes . :thumleft:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 09:25:09 pm »
Alan you are trying to control our decisions. Just because you were taking in by marketing does not follow that we were.  ;)

I love Nickelback. That does not follow everyone else does. In fact I know many people hate Nicklenback.  :imaposer:

People do not like to be controlled. But you are a nice guy and I know you mean it well.  :thumleft:  :3some:

No Rynet I'm stating my opinion.

I couldt care less what you, or anyone else rides or where they ride etc.  If I was trying to control you I would have some interest in your decisions.

This is a discussion forum.  I like discussing stuff.

You are getting the wrong end of the stick a bit I think.

Lets leave it at that.  Its distorting the thread.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 09:27:08 pm »
@Rynet
Thanks
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 09:28:51 pm »
Lets leave it at that.  Its distorting the thread.

:thumleft: Cool, I will rest my case.  Have a great 2013 :thumleft:

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 09:33:43 pm »

But to be clear - from my own personal experience with a BMW Dakar which I grew to really dislike,  only because I was fooled into thinking the bike was something it was not.  It was a great touring bike which could handle good gravel well, but which really handled like a pig on anything vaguely technical.  

But I persisted because after all it was called a "Dakar".  I have an off road racing back ground from my distant youth, but had started riding again after a break of 20 years so I assumed I just had lost the ability and was crap.  But after riding a proper off road DS bike (690) I finally realized it was the bike - not my lack of skill (although my skill still leaves a lot to be desired).

Thats why I hold a grudge against BMW marketing.  They are not 100% honest about what their bikes are good for - they are great tourer's but they are not off road bikes!

I sold my Dakar and am now a very happy Husky owner.  I just wish I came to my senses sooner.  Because towards the end I rode the BMW very seldom, and it stood for long periods gathering dust in the garage,  which was a waste.  It was just the wrong bike for me.

Now don't get me wrong - I'M NOT ATTACKING YOUR CHOICE OF BIKE.  What ever bike suites you, is the right bike for you, regardless of what anyone else says or thinks.

The Dakar didnt suite me, but the marketing tended to imply that it was the bike I was looking for.  It took me a long time to realise otherwise.  So I was the fool, nobody else.

There is nothing wrong with BMW GS bikes.  They are solid and long lasting and are superp for long distance cruising which may include gravel roads.  Its just the marketing tends to mislead a bit IMO.

But anyway..

alanB you dislike the marketing of BMW of the Dakar, so the 21" wheel did not do it for you in dirt, fine but why blame marketing for your poor decision, nobody forced you to buy the bike, I have done many K@k decisions in my life as well if you get sucked up into the marketing hype you will/can burn your Arse?
You Attacking my choice of bike don't think so? I enjoy all bikes but sadly can not park all off them in my Garage as I will be a happy but a poor man at the end of the day.
Your words this thread is about 19" wheels?  :thumleft:

Offline ButchH

• Ми тебе тиснути
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 09:40:58 pm »
For Rynet: I only repeat my post from ouch 650 down

Roads the wife and I drove last August. With BMs (note: not 650s or GSs). Note however the 19".

And the wife. Pure concentration and faith.

Wow nice  :thumleft:
GSA 1150
XL 250
GS 1200

Offline ButchH

• Ми тебе тиснути
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 09:43:50 pm »

But anyway..

fapfap
GSA 1150
XL 250
GS 1200