Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tribute to < 21" front wheels...  (Read 4920 times)

Offline bonova

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Get busy living or get busy dying
Re: Tribute to < 21" front wheels...
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2013, 03:47:45 pm »
i have a question.... has anyone measured (with a tape measure) the diameter of the 21 and 19 in tyres of the same make? cause when i look at the 1200 front next to my 21 in front - they look mighty almost as close as a ball hair to the same (cause the rim is different, but so is the tyre.... and the profile is higher)
There is quite a diff in the width tho.... is this not one of the issues?
legit question
BMW F650 DAKAR ; BMW 650 X-Challenge ; YAMAHA 660 TENERE ; BMW 800 GS KTM 200EXC. Now - KTM 950 Adventure S, KTM 250 XC-W and BMW 450 Rally

if u are interested in something no matter what it is, go at it full speed ahead, luke warm is no good, hot is no good either, white hot and passionate is the only thing to be...

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2013, 05:29:06 pm »
He who ventures off the tar on a 19" wheel, is as reckless as the rider taking to the road without his PortaPotti.

Offline Stofdonkie

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2013, 06:25:24 pm »
i have a question.... has anyone measured (with a tape measure) the diameter of the 21 and 19 in tyres of the same make? cause when i look at the 1200 front next to my 21 in front - they look mighty almost as close as a ball hair to the same (cause the rim is different, but so is the tyre.... and the profile is higher)
There is quite a diff in the width tho.... is this not one of the issues?
legit question

Jip. Very little difference. But keep it quiet. This sort of discussion can't handle facts very well.  :biggrin:

BTW - rake and trail is FAR more important than rim diameter. That's why a plastic with motard wheels still perform on the loose stuff. And a GS with a 21" front remains a pig.
Carpe BM.

Offline Jacko

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2013, 06:29:58 pm »
My personal opinion is that one should first start off with small wheels. Say 14 inch. Then you slowly work your way up to 16, 17, 18 and 19 inch wheels.

Only then may you graduate to 21 inch wheels.
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline Rooikat

• Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2013, 06:33:30 pm »
My personal opinion is that one should first start off with small wheels. Say 14 inch. Then you slowly work your way up to 16, 17, 18 and 19 inch wheels.

I must be very, very experienced - XL has 23" front wheel! :imaposer:
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2013, 08:36:57 pm »
Penny Farthing must be incredible offroad!!

Offline Stofdonkie

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #66 on: January 02, 2013, 10:06:44 pm »

Maar, as die 21" soveel beter/makliker is ... moet dit nie andersom wees nie? Is dit nie 'n tipe 'training wheel' nie?  ;D

Of miskien, soos mens ouer en meer useless raak het jy beter equipment nodig. Ons jong laaities met die plat pensies en die dik bosse hare kan nog gemaklik met die 19" werk.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 10:16:17 pm by Stofdonkie »
Carpe BM.

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2013, 10:23:17 pm »
My XT600 has a 17" rear rim. My KX has a 19" rear rim. I think I have found the reason for the KX being so much better offroad than the XT. Thanks guys.

Offline ButchH

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Ми тебе тиснути
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2013, 10:30:59 pm »
My XT600 has a 17" rear rim. My KX has a 19" rear rim. I think I have found the reason for the KX being so much better offroad than the XT. Thanks guys.

Ok that’s going to confuse the whole issue now   :deal:   ( Welcome back btw) :thumleft:
GSA 1150
XL 250
GS 1200

Offline CharlesS

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2013, 10:31:59 pm »
This debate appear to be conducted in absolute terms. An 19 inch front wheel is absolutely crap on dirt and an 21 inch wheel is absolutely perfect on dirt. Rooikat posted that he used an 18 inch wheel on dirt in 1974, and from the photo's it appeared that he coped. Will he have coped better with an 19 inch wheel? Maybe. Will he coped better with an 21 inch wheel? Also maybe. Did he enjoy the trip less? Again looking at the pictures, I doubt it. What I am trying to say is, that in the end, you make do with what you have. It is about the ride, and the rider, the equipment enhance it, but in my view does not make or break it.

Pretty much what Garfield said I suppose?

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2013, 11:32:15 pm »

We can start a whole new debate here  >:D Surly an 18" rim on the rear of you KX is better that a 19" rim unless you like getting a klomp flats in the gnarly stuff  :peepwall:
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline Jacko

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
  • "Don't be a hater, yo." Riaan Cruywagen
« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2013, 11:56:50 pm »

I salute you, you brave dirt God! 21 inch my ass,pffft!
"The test of a man is not the forum nor the field; not the marketplace nor the amen corner, but at his own fireside. There he lays aside his mask, and you may judge whether he be imp or angel, king or cur, hero or humbug." -  William Cowper Brann

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #72 on: January 03, 2013, 01:01:29 am »
 :lol8:

:lol8: :laughing4:
Jacko: Sometimes your comments are absolutely priceless.

When I 1st saw this fred I also had a little chuckle - Thanks GF.  :biggrin:  I think there are two issues here:

Issue 1 Tyre Size  

Im not a great rider but I have ridden my wifes 650GS and my 800GS fitted with TKC's at about 1.4 bar and found the 800 is marginally easier at slower speeds , when the wheel tends sink/dig in a little bit more into holes and dimples in the sand which can easily become the prelude to an over-the-bars experience for me. The weight of both bikes play a far bigger role in this though. Thats why a 2 stroke 80 with tiny wheels can also ride great in the sand with a kid on it.

At high speeds I dont think it makes much difference at all on sand roads. unless you are jumping dunes, or going down steep dunes like these excellent, expert examples do in the video below. I cant imagine myself having enough confidence to take a big bike down something like this on a 19 inch rim.

Check out 1:21 for an insane jump.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CWzPSh-yYJ8/" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CWzPSh-yYJ8/</a>

I think only a few Wilddogs would venture into this kind of terrain on big bikes anyway, so its a moot point for the
average Joe.

Issue 2:  Perception is everything on the net and on the internet the way you want to say something can easily be misunderstood. There is no human interaction to counteract anything so its hard to be "gruff" :angry3: or sensitive  :3some: unless you type it. Most of us are pretty poor communicators and even worse readers in these forums, and that's why silly emoticons are useful to improve the perception you would like people to have about what you have TYPED (vs. what you think you typed). Advice given in a sensitive thread about some poor woman who crashed in a brash way will never be well recieved. I guess some of us just dont get that...  ::)

The same thing with avatars, nicknames and signatures to an extent. Unless the nick is something neutral like "Rickus" you are creating a perception that you could be judged upon before you type the first word. I know that my nick Bluebull2007 sets me up for potential disdain by die-hard Western Province supporters -  for example. Province supporters may ( and do :evil6: >:D) actually view my posts and comments in a critical way even though I dont really care who wins or loses in the currie cup. Im okay with that, although I have considered just becoming BB2007 for this reason.

Im sure there must be a fantasically amusing reason why you decided to call yourself Badseed, but with a nick like that my 1st perception has been "troublemaker", and Im sure one or two others do too. Add to that an avatar of a Dog taking a dump, then I personally percieve someone not to be taken too seriously. Others may be disgusted, I dont know. However when I read your comment in the other thread I perceieved a dog taking a dump on another dog in a negative way from the nickname (preconception plus a extremly tactless series of remarks under the disguised as advice) I see someone being a total  :knob: whether I agree with your point or not. Point lost, ego correction from the rest of the dogs, game over.  

I find its way less presumptious to be anecdotal when recounting my experiences and even then sometimes I think people percieve me to be a presumptuous prat as well anyway. Anyway use it- dont use it, just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:35:16 am by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #73 on: January 03, 2013, 07:04:25 am »
Nice post Neil :thumleft:

Some interesting points about perception on the internet. 

I think someone could do a PhD on the social issues associated with the way people try and project their self images via the choice of nicknames and avatars on the internet 
There are few characters here which would yield reams of analysis!
:biggrin:
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #74 on: January 03, 2013, 08:08:35 am »

Speedway bike.  ;D
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2013, 06:16:46 pm »

BTW - rake and trail is FAR more important than rim diameter. That's why a plastic with motard wheels still perform on the loose stuff. And a GS with a 21" front remains a pig.

I also posted about the rake and trail earlier. Few seem to even know what it's about. ;)

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2013, 07:28:12 pm »

I also posted about the rake and trail earlier. Few seem to even know what it's about. ;)

Could you explan that for me please? I was going to ask in my earlier comment, but forgot. I dont have a cooking clue :dontknow:
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2013, 07:41:09 pm »
Google "rake and trail". Very easy to read drawings. Highly misunderstood part of biking.

Offline Odd Dog

« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2013, 07:44:21 pm »
Quick exp. compare chopper fork angle/wheel distance between front & back against an MX bike.
If You're going through hell, keep going.

Offline Aprilian

• 1200 BMX
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2013, 07:58:49 pm »
Compared 21 and 19 inch wheels for 1200 GS- side to side there is a significant difference. Bear in mind that the larger wheel raises the front axle and thereby changes the rake angle aswell. I dont think there is any question that the larger wheel on the same bike makes for a better offroad ride. Having said that its not of life altering proportions! But then neither are many of the other things we do to our bikes eg removing catalyst, 2 finger levers, wider and pivot footpegs etc etc not that it has ever stopped me from doing all of the above!
Surely if I was obsessed with motorcycles I’d have more than one; no two; no three; no no, four… ah, never mind…