BMW GS1200 - Re-occuring Electrical failures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many WD's on 1200 GS have been left stranded on the side of the road. Choose an option or more?

• Fuel pump issue.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • EWS - Key code lost

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Engine light on - yellow warning on.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other problem where you cannot move on?

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No problems at all.

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • 1100 - 1150 (Don't have these problems)

Votes: 5 20.8%

• Total voters

FortyZA

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Yesterday while on an outride with Pom and Hidalgo, I stoped my bike to take some pic's. After taking the pic's, my bike would not start.  The OBD showed, "EWS".  I did not have my manual, so I phone ADV and asked him to check Peaches manual for me.  The bike was going nowhere so I had to do the next best thing.

I phoned the BMW on-Call hotline, they took all my details and said they would call me back as soon as they could contact a dealership.  They asked if I prefer anyone in particular.  I saud that Lyndhurst and Bavarian are my closest.  They phoned back to say they could not get anyone but would continue trying.  My battery on my cell was going flat, so Pom lent me his phone and that helped.  They phoned back to say that they got hold of Lyndhurst and their technician was on his way.

We decided to tow my bike (bike to bike) out of Skeerport as BMW on-Call and Lydhurst could not find it on their maps or GPS. We towed for about 7 km and Pom's DL1000 did the job quite well.  Thanks Pom. 

After Lyndhurst's guy (Mark) phoned to say he was on the road to fetch me, we swopped sim cards on phones and I then thanked both Pom and Hidalgo for sitting with me even though they had other plans for later on. It just goes to show the spirit that the WD forum members have.  Thanks to both of you, beers / drinks on me on the next ride.

This is the second BMW 1200 I have owned and both bikes have suffered similar failures.  My brothers bike was out of warranty and his bike failed the same.  This has lead me to put up this poll, maybe then BMW will maybe see and do something about it.  What happens if you are travelling through Namibia, or up Africa and the engine fails to start because the codes are lost (fanished, Ha, Ha, Ha), who is going to cover the cost to recover as the fault is not as a result of many fault of yours.

Thanks again Pom and Hidalgo.
40's