Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Platinum country outride  (Read 344 times)

Offline FortyZA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
Platinum country outride
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:21:04 pm »
Pom put a "Planning a ride" request out and got some responses. We gathered at "Bikers Warehouse" in Allens Neck and only three pitched up. Agreed departure was 08:00. 

We left at 08:15, Pom, Hidelgo and myself and as no route was planned, I made the suggestion that we do the canal 1 ride and when we get near the end, we can ride to wherever the road takes us.  We decided that between 10:30 and 11:00 we would turn around and head for home.

We followed along the canal until the outskirts of Sonop and the took some road which bypassed some Platinum mines, Ferros Chrome mines and even a route down some farm road which got us N4. During this little off road ride, I got a piece of fense rebar wedged between my rear caliper and wrapped around my rear wheel.  Attached pic is the bar.

Pic 1 - stopped for smoke break along the canal
Pic 2 - Platinum mines in the distance
Pic 3 - Ferros chrome mine
Pic 4 - Metal bar
Pic 5 - Little off road route to N4

More pic's to follow:

BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline FortyZA

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • East London
Re: Platinum country outride
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 01:37:29 pm »
I asked Pom and Hidelgo if they had ridden the Skeerpoort pass as it is quite a nice ride and good view.  They said no and I asked them if they would like to do it.  They said yes and off we headed.  We headed into the pass and I stopped to take a picture.  Parked the GS and took the pic's, put the camera way and climbed on the bike. Turned the ignition on, lights came on but the display said "EWS".  The engien did not turn.  Checked the side stand, various things but she would not start. Gave Adv a quick call to ask his advise.  He was not sure but would check in Peaches owners manual. (Phoned later to say her book does not mention such a code- Thanks all the same Adv)

Called the BMW hotline and they said that it was key codes and that they would have to send to tow vehicle. We then towed the GS with the DL 1000 (Pom) and Hidelgo was backstop until we made the Broederstroom road, where I could park at a Farm Stall and wait. All the time I was waiting, both Pom and Hidelgo waited with. Great bunch of guys those 2 and I cannot say a begger thank you to them.

That put paid to the ride for the day.   >:D "Thanks BMW"  >:D The BMW on-Call guy arrived and I was home by 15:00. 

Pic 1 - Pic of the Skeerport pass
Pic 2 - Pic of the bikes and the valley below.
Pic 3 - Route ridden.

Thanks to Pom (Andy) and Hidelgo (Chris) for an enjoyable ride.  Hope it is not the last. 

After that, no more photos were taken as the blood pressure was sky high. 

« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 08:48:20 am by FortyZA »
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold