Koro Koro Jan 13 - Leo and Mates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
If my memory serves me right I first laid eyes on a R80G/S around April of 1981, but I could be wrong – Airhead diehards speak now or forever hold your breath. I was doing my National Service at the School of Armour in Bloemfontein and we were given a day pass to visit the Bloemfontein show. Up until that stage the world was ruled by XR500’s and XT 500’s and suddenly BMW introduced an 800 cc scrambler. Who would ever buy such a beast? I took one look at that single swing arm and told myself that thing will break off when you hit the first bump, to naïve, stupid or inexperienced to realize that a company like BMW would have spent hours and millions of rands testing the thing to ensure it will last almost forever.  
Well I could never afford a GS in those early days and always watched in ore when they rode past. Then in 1999 I did the Africa Friendship Safari with Bike SA to Zanzibar and there was an oke from Cape Town riding one of the original blue models. I fell in love all over again. We agreed that I could buy the bike for R14k once we get back to SA, I would just have to collect from him in Cape Town. Well needless to say that never happened and I remained R80less for quite a while.

Our campsite for the weekend

IMG_0801__zpsf35dc5d1.jpg

IMG_0802__zps46914d42.jpg

Next I saw Bruce Meyers R80 Kalahari and he agreed that should he sell his one day, I will be the man to buy it. When he was ready to sell I was broke and that bike ended up elsewhere. Late last year I was posting on FB a picture of a Kalahari with a Dear Xmas Father…… message next to it when Douw posted that his was for sale. I went to have a look and although it had stood for the best part of a year it was still in a reasonable condition. Nuff said, we clinched the deal and I had my first R80.

Excalibur explaining what he wants to do with the grand old lady

IMG_0808__zps8e6b6dee.jpg

December dragged its feet while we were riding around the cape on the HP’s and eventually we returned from the coast and I could take Miss Daisy for her first trip. As usual my regular mates were all eager to join and we promptly arranged a one night stand to Koro Koro neat Warmbaths. Pat jnr would be joining us for the first time, Jean would be on his dad’s HP for the first time and Antonie was on his newly acquired HP, so quite a few first timers. Saturday 5 January saw us gathering at the Engen at Harties ready to tackle the odd 200 km of gravel roads to Koro Koro.

This is how you braai a rib or 4. What more can I say

IMG_0809__zpsfcc5c03d.jpg

After a hearty meal at Beestekraal stasie we continued our journey in earnest past Ga Rasai and eventually pulled into Warmbaths around 3 pm to buy rib, coke, buns, etc for our braai that evening.

Let’s just say we got thirsty when we had lunch at Beestekraal

IMG_1480__zps28444158.jpg

The campsite at Koro Koro had lots of space and although we could see that people had camped on the grass for most of December the place was still in mint condition and the facilities clean. We braaied our customary skaaprib in the parallel position, drank a few toots and played domino’s till late evening. This weekend incidentally marks the 31 anniversary of the day Excalibur and I met. Well I have to admit that I did not win one game of domino’s with Pat jnr kicking our asses big time. I think he was sapping my knowledge as he was sitting right next to me. Well done Pat, you taught us a lesson or two.

The roads were in mint condition

IMG_1481__zps39ac29d8.jpg

My office for the day

IMG_1482__zps8d02a5f6.jpg

Well this is now a long story just to explain that we rode to Koro Koro, braaied a rib, drank more than we should, played dominos and generally had a great time, I guess that is the crux of any trip.

Good roads in scenic surroundings

IMG_1483__zps1ec13f6e.jpg

A legend amongst legends

IMG_1485__zps90d12117.jpg

Excalibur please have the dentist attend to that broken tooth. You are gaining face

IMG_0810__zps93bfb82a.jpg

And Miss Daisy? Look she ain’t going to break any land speed records anytime soon, but she can gooi kole if need be. A fork seal called it the day and the front brake shuddered in its moerin, but I managed to sort that today with a new set of brakes pads.  For the fork seal I would have to get more professional help.

Happy Pilot and machine

IMG_0812__zpsed00ceda.jpg

I  am trying to find the right words to describe the feeling one gets when you putt along at 100 – 110 km/h. At that speed she reminds me of the rhythmic beat of a Lister machine which seems to go on forever and a day. She really is a grand old dame that delivers you in style and panache. I am falling in love with biking all over again.

Sometimes Miss Daisy had to wait for the followers

IMG_1486__zps40e23a68.jpg

Pat jnr did his first bike trip with us. Nice having you along young lad. You did great. May we ride many more.

IMG_0814__zpsb869e8f9.jpg

Patman Snr and his Gagiva

IMG_0815__zpsb19e233f.jpg

Old Duif Kuite and Die Suster

IMG_0816__zps1ae51895.jpg

Antonie with his newly acquired HP2. Aint this a beaut? Next year at the WC HP2 bash we can be 11 HP’s. Antonie must just learn to pack less  :biggrin:

IMG_0817__zps8bfa9d98.jpg

Jean sporting his dad’s HP. Nice having you along Yster

IMG_0818__zpsf24f8078.jpg

Well we closed our trip with a brunch at Upper Deck which was packed to rafters. I though most of Gautengers were still on leave, returning from their respective destinations, but how wrong was I.

Natural environment where she is most comfortable

IMG_1487__zps80d6d300.jpg

Yes the area also had some rain for the odd surprise

IMG_1488__zpsdd9ff47c.jpg

All in all it was a great trip with an awesome bunch of friends and a fantastic group of machines. Thanks to all who went along. I really enjoyed the trip. I think this is the start of many trips for Miss Daisy and me.

Not bad for a 32 year old lady

IMG_1490__zps7b0556f1.jpg

:ricky: