5 days somwhere in mozambique

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambro

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure S
i cannot begin yto describe just how this adventure bike has changed my view on things It was absolutely without a doubt one of the most liberating things i have ever done , leaving civilisation behind and my only concern was where i would get my next refuel from and finding a campsite where i could contemplate on my days riding

the trip was set and there were only 2 rules  No tar roads from the border onwards and gps was to be used only to find out where we were and the direction in which to head for next . there were 8 of us on the trip 2  KTM adventure S 2 ktm adventures 2 BMW GS 1 ktm 640 1 DRZ 650 ( packed like a mule )  . We all met at komatie poort campsite on friday night and the aim was to cross the border the following morning and head North for the next 2 days along the coast aiming for Xai Xai ,on the 3de day we would cut inland heading west catching up again with the limpopo river and following it for 2 days until we reached the kruger fence and then head southwards back to a town called Sabie on the 5th day
We all wnt self sufficient with tents and enough food to last us for 3 days , the rest was left to the exploring spirit within us

Day 1

we crossed the border and turned left on to a dirt track which eventually led us to the coast for about 100 kms and we wound away down to belene encountering the 1st of many sand tracks where we were to  have much fun on , here we realised the world cup was on that night and we decided to stay over at one of the lodges to see the game, the riding was fantastic with a mixture of double track and gravel road and it was here that i discovered the potential of this KTM of mine ,  power sliding and berming it on the corners was an absolute awesome sensation and it was handling like my 250 (with just an extra 100 kg )

The lagoon at belene was beautiful with white sands and crystal clear waters for us to take a swim in
Day 2
we started our trip up north and made headway all the way to the limpopo mouth on single track and soft sand cutting in and out of the beach at one point we had to get some logs to walk the bikes across a marshy area as it was unrideable with water up to our waist but that was all part of the adventure wow un forgettable

there were a couple of soft landings on the thick sand but all in all no one got hurt and there were many stories to tell that night at  campsite on the back of some grand dunes  where we called home for the night and set up our tents and feasted on some pasta and bully beef rolls that we had purchased that day washed down with a couple of beers that we had picked up from a resort further down the road . Riding along the coast was spectacular and if i can figure out how to post some pics id love for you all to see

day 3
we found away back down to the limpopo and started following it westward on the most beautiful single track that went on for 100s of kilometeres through thick bush and some really rural villages ,at the beginning there was an old tar road that quicly deteriorated into a track  but the beauty of all of this was we dident know where the hell we were or where we would land up , at around 4h30 we made the call to look for a place to camp on the banks of the limpopo and what we dident anticipate was about 3 kilometeres of really thick sand as we found ourselves on the flood plain but could not find the mighty river , eventually at about 6h30 we found the river after much overheating and pulling of bikes out of sand . here i discovered what  BMW GS stands for " GEEN SAND" he he although i must confess even the KTM's found it hard going but man what a blast . once again camp was set up and a a very quick dip in the limpopo to freshen our very dusty bodies while 2 of us watched for hippo and flat dogs . not very clever i know but hell it was an adventure after all

day 4
The trip continued  North westward on the same track until we came to a town which was semi civilised and here we encountered the first of mozambiquean hospitality , yep you guessed it  a cop with his hand outstretched  wanting his daily commuting share . as we do we paid up and got the hell out of civilisation . The beauty of not doing roads is exactly that , you see no one and there are no PIGS to give you hard time , but as that was the only incident there was not too much to complain about . at this point we had no idea where we were and were forced to take a tar road for about 30 kms that would lead us to the Kruger park fence and start our journey southward . once there we found ourselves on track that wound all the way back to Sabie it was incredible it just never ended , but we did learn a valuable lesson , put enduro tunbes and fug it in to your tyres when riding this area , we had no less than 7 punctures which some were fixed by using the wynns canisters and the others were fixed with the spare tubes we were carrying , unfortunately the one bike could not be fixed and had to ride the last 40 kms to Sabie on a flat tyre before we managed to fix it at a bak yard garage
On the 5th day we came back to SA tired but all the better for it from a trip that was undescribable and i would love to show all of you some of  the pictures  . This is a must for anyone to do and it's amazing how we get caucht up in all the bullshite of every day life when thecore of what we really need is just 5 days away with some mates or family and explore the unknown LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT