Bliss in Badplaas......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonkprop

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
This trip took place a few weeks ago but my computer has been out of action thus the late post....
This was the second camping trip with my 9 year old son as pillion and Staalvarkie (SV) as the beast of burden.
In the driveway ready to leave 
100_3174_3_1_1.jpg

Adventurer do you recognise Timothys' jacket ?
100_3173_2_1_1-1.jpg

A quick and uneventful tar road burn via Middelburg and Carolina to Badplaas.
Our campsite at Aventura Badplaas........
100_3178_7_1_1.jpg

100_3182_11_1_1.jpg

100_3176_5_1_1.jpg

The route home the next morning was to take in a dirt road section back to Carolina , about 90km.
The route went through a game reserve , these are gates we had to go through...
100_3184_13_1_1.jpg

The route was not too bad in spite of the rains. Some very rocky sections going into the hills. SV handled it superbly. in spite of the panniers and pillion.
I was following the route as downloaded from the Motorrad site onto my Quest.
Typical scenery
100_3188_17_1_1.jpg

100_3186_15_1_1.jpg

Unfortunately about 20km into the route my Quest died on me. ( I have subsequently rigged up a system so that it can be powered off the bike.)
I carried on for about 10km further but the roads and intersections got very confusing so I decided to turn around retrace my route. I reckoned rather not take any chances riding solo in such an extremely remote area.
So we went back to the tar and home via Machadodorp & Belfast dodging stormclouds all the way.
Main thing learnt : Riding solo offroad fully loaded with pillion does wonders for ones concentration ;)
Next time: I'll power the GPS from the bike :biggrin:
I definitely plan to go to ride the full dirt route as the scenery is awesome.
PS. I an keen to organise a Dads 'n Lads camping trip for any WDers who fit the description and are interested. Please PM me.