Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cilaos in the mountains on Reunion Island  (Read 674 times)

Offline Robin Brown

Cilaos in the mountains on Reunion Island
« on: January 11, 2013, 05:08:56 pm »

Day trip from St Denis on Reunion Island to Cilaos a Creole village high up in the mountains. The road negotiates 500 hairpin bends on the way to the village.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline Heimer

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Kan nie ALZ onthou nie
Re: Cilaos in the mountains on Reunion Island
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 09:06:53 pm »
That is very beautiful, Robin  :thumleft:

Matriek getuigskrif 1979: ........... is 'n vriendelike seun met volop selfvertroue. Hy tree soms vreemd op. Die skool se beste wense vergesel hom.

Offline Lourens ツ

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:23:21 pm »

Day trip from St Denis on Reunion Island to Cilaos a Creole village high up in the mountains. The road negotiates 500 hairpin bends on the way to the village.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rfiN8JF0mp4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rfiN8JF0mp4</a>

Beautiful!
Lourens de Lange

Offline El Lobo

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Quo Vadis?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 04:10:29 pm »
I spent eight days on Reunion a few years ago and loved it!

A few observations: 1. The Roland Garros airport, located in Sainte-Marie on Rťunion, 7 kilometres east of Saint-Denis, must surely be one of the most beautiful airports I have ever seen! Imagine looking through the window as the aircraft is coming in to land and seeing the lush green grass around the runways; 2. At 07h15 in morning traffic, there is NO hooting, rude signs made at other motorists or pushing in from the side. On the contrary, approaching vehicles are kindly disposed towards fellow motorists and actually slow down to allow one access (either left or right, depending on the direction one wants to turn) to the particular road one wishes to turn onto; 3. Travelling on one of the many, efficient buses, all one has to do to have the driver pull over to one's desired bus stop, is to clap one's hands twice a hundred metres or so before the stop and ... there you go! (Incidentally, the bus drivers are hugely capable. Negotiating the hairpins and tunnels en route to Cilaos is quite a feat!) 4. The island is French and very little English is spoken or understood; 5. What a pleasant contrast to South Africa it is to make eye contact with one of the many chic French ladies in town, smile at her and get a smile in return - no scowl or not even a "f*** off!"

Did I enjoy my island stay? Magic!
Quo Vadis?

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 05:59:08 pm »
I stopped off there for a short time when I cruised to Mauritius, we took a tour, did a dive and bought french loaf from a french lady with french franks..  :imaposer: it was quite the experience. and were lucky enough to hear reports of one of the volcano's erupting, we never saw any lava but tons of smoke and steam, it is a stunning place. This thread brings back memories, I was there in 1997 I think.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline BliknÍrs

• Bike: Honda CTX200
  • I never finish anyth
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 06:30:49 pm »
Have also spent some time in St Denis.
Lots of guys ride Harleys there, too.
Brings back wonderful memories thanks Robin.