Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ462: Living with it  (Read 2323 times)

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
Re: DRZ462: Living with it
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2013, 09:21:23 am »
Hallooooo Hannes... (",)

I am interested to know where the 68000 Km's fits in.. and why you think they wouldn't be able to reach that mileage.

I was speaking to an older guy in Cape Town the other day. He has got an XS 750. It's an old triple cylinder Yamaha. Must say, I didn't know that they existed, thought they were only made in 850. Had it since new. The bike has done 470 000 Km's and the motor has never been opened. I asked him about maintenance and he said that he has to admit that he wasn't totally religious but the bike did get relatively regular oil changes. After some of the mileages I have put on bikes myself, I am of the impression that a DRZ could do very high mileage without being opened.. I have no idea what mine has got on it but it is definitely over 10 000, closer to 20 and when I opened it, the inside was clean and free of any signes of damage and wear and when measured, it was way within standard spec..

I am very impressed with this thread and your thoroughness with this project. Your determination and dedication, coupled with the good result that you have achieved, are proof that this kind of rebuild CAN in fact be successful. Your research is good and workmanship is aligned with the best available.

Well done, brilliant job...
He was referring to my DRZ, I change the oil every 3000km and filter every 6000km, but then again I probably don't ride it that hard >:D I did the engine at 65000km (It probably could have done more, but I had to open the motor as my stator came loose  :o and left a few pieces of metal inside the motor
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline Torque Curve

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2013, 10:31:47 am »
Hallooooo Hannes... (",)

I am interested to know where the 68000 Km's fits in.. and why you think they wouldn't be able to reach that mileage.

No, MTB's bike did 69000km already, rebuilt at 65000km only because he wanted to, not needed to do it. I think high mileage is doable on any bike and even with big bore kits. As said before, the engineering on big bore parts is top notch and possibly better than OEM.
“Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline Heddles

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2013, 07:51:56 pm »
Aah.. I get it..

You know, having seen inside many motors in my time, I will tell you that especially concerning modern engines, that they are incredibly reliable and strong.. There is a misconception that running an engine hard destroys it, the reality is that the machine is designed to do it. It has been designed to rev to whatever it revs to. Most engines have rev limiters fitted and as long as the oil is at operating temp and it has good oil and a full radiator, it will do the mileage. I remember a good few years ago, we had a crazy mate who had a 1600 citigolf. This thing was always at the red line. He drove it like an absolute maniac. We had been building a bigger motor for the car and when it was ready, because we built as he had cash, the original motor which had been ringed, had 60 000 kilos on it. We fitted the new engine and out of curiosity, stripped the original one. I have never seen such a clean engine inside.. Rings were nice and free in their grooves, piston measured correct, ring gaps were like new, even the sump area was like new. The exhaust valves had a thin layer of carbon on them and the inlets were shiny like new ones. The tops of the pistons were so to say, discolored with carbon.. 

Compared to many engines that I have opened which had been driven gently, this was by far a better sight than the nursed ones..

Just for interest sake..

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2013, 09:06:50 pm »
My 2001 DRZ had close to 60 000km when I sold it, 10 000km of that was with the 440 kit. When I took the old cylinder off the barrel was perfect, only needed new rings and it would have been good to go.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2013, 09:52:30 am »
 :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I just came back from a 2 hour ride behind Rover track. Awesome woody sections, sand tracks, small dunes, hard-pack, drop-offs, ledges, ramps - its all there 3km from my home!
I haven't ridden for three weeks due to family and work commitments, so the first 20 minutes on the trail was like riding for the first time! Then one's body gets warmed up and starts feeling at one with the bike again and smiles start widening as the pace picks up.
On the way back I had a quick drag along side my buddy's 690R. The DRZ462 is with the 690 right up to 165km/h where it started sputtering due to rich fueling and an air filter which has obviously done its duty of trapping dust for two hours. Sprocket ratio 14:43. Unbelievable power now that its ridden in. It pulls in sand from low-down in 3rd all the way through fourth. I'm not good or fast enough to take it into fifth on sand.
And yes before anyone asks the KTM is in race mode. The two bikes also weigh the same fully fueled - give or take a kilo to either side.
I'll pull the carb soon and go down a size or two on the main jet which will even improve the 18km/l its been giving up to now during normal riding.
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 10:07:25 am »
Lekke man Hannes! Monster daai!
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Heddles

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2013, 11:59:52 am »
Ooh!!! Some motivation do change the chassis on my one. Must say, I have heard some great reviews from guys who have owned these little bikes...

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 08:06:01 pm »

...The DRZ462 is with the 690 right up to 165km/h where it started sputtering due to rich fueling and an air filter which has obviously done its duty of trapping dust for two hours...
I'll pull the carb soon and go down a size or two on the main jet which will even improve the 18km/l its been giving up to now during normal riding.

Its been raining in PE all weekend so I had more than enough time to pull the carb and replace the 165 main jet with a 160. The skies cleared for about 2 hours which allowed a little ride around town to feel out the different jet size. Its amazing how dropping 2 main jet sizes affects performance: The power felt crisp but the truth was visible on the speedo, from 130km/h the bike felt weak and only pulled up to 145km/h where it felt held back by an invisible hand. I will pull the carb again tonight (off and back on now happens in 20 minutes including tank removal) and install a 162 main jet. Hopefully the weather allows testing time tomorrow.

Offline Heddles

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2013, 03:36:59 am »
Bud, rather than hit and miss, try and get the bike to a dyna. Fuel mixtures can cause major engine damage if lean.
The fuel consumption figures that you give for this bike make me think that it could be running lean. Also, it is quite unlikely that a motor will "splutter" if it running rich. More likely to happen if it is lean...

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 02:37:08 pm »
Bud, rather than hit and miss, try and get the bike to a dyna. Fuel mixtures can cause major engine damage if lean.
The fuel consumption figures that you give for this bike make me think that it could be running lean. Also, it is quite unlikely that a motor will "splutter" if it running rich. More likely to happen if it is lean...

I hear what you are saying. The bike fouled 2 spark plugs because of being too rich, but I am aware that's probably the starter circuit that did that and possibly due to a blocked air jet. There's so many thing to check on these pumper carbs so I'm illiminating one at a time. 160 main jet definitely was too lean. I fitted 162 last night, but have yet to try it out. The current jetting on all circuits and needle position is spot-on what experts over on TT use for this 462cc set up with E-cams, so I'll see what it does later.

Offline Heddles

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2013, 05:36:06 pm »
A fouled plug.... Fouled as in carboned up..? Fuel mixture is unlikely to kill a plug...
Another thing to consider. Did you run the bike in on monograde or multigrade oil? Is it possible that it might be getting oil past the rings and that's what killed the plug?

I have asked a mate... The man is smart.. Just said that he would want more info.
This is some of the stuff he said... Sounds a bit odd- need more info.
Jetting problem would show up at a certain rpm usually - not only speed related.

Needle and seat valve may be too small causing lean out when held open for a while.
Which is not normally done in the lower gears.
Even if the main is too big.
This could be causing some confusion.
Forgot to say- the float level drops till it goes lean.

I am a bit concerned that you are going to destroy this mill and due to something small.. Might need to completely strip and inspect that carb... Also, is there any info about the ignition curve regarding this mod..?
Something is not making sense here...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:55:13 am by Heddles »

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 05:01:21 pm »
The carb is now spot-on. Perfect fueling right through the rev range in all gears, no bogging, no hesitation, no sputter. Mooi.
The challenge with setting up the carb for this bike is that its a real PITA to get it off each time so I made more than one change each time I pulled the carb. To know what change affects what circuit is important and careful records are kept for reference.
The final test for this set-up will be a fuel economy test.

PS. The fouling/flooding of plugs was caused by a blocked air jet while I made adjustments on the duration of the accelerator pump. A too long AP squirt on top of a very rich idle circuit caused bogging and stalling. Every time I pulled those plugs they were black because of rich idle and wet with fuel.

No more top end runs now. Off road sprockets and chain put back on last night and sticking to the enduro loops behind Rover MCC.

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2013, 05:07:05 pm »

Another thing to consider. Did you run the bike in on monograde or multigrade oil? Is it possible that it might be getting oil past the rings and that's what killed the plug?

Castrol Magnatec 10w40 since day 1. As in prev. post, AP squirt and blocked air jet were the culprits.

Offline Heddles

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 05:36:31 pm »
Cool... Glad it's all sorted now.. I am also inclined to make more than one change at a time when I take carbs apart.. Can really mess you around...

As a rule, I bed rings in at the very least on monograde. On cars, if they are for road use, 1000 kilos.. If for the track, about 200 kilos and it goes to the dyna with multigrade in the sump.. Normally 10W40..
Bikes, a little different.. About 500 kilos then they get multigrade...

Offline adv

• <INSERT CUSTOM TITLE HERE>
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Wheelie Everything.
    • Clutch Up
Re:
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 08:19:57 pm »
Can the Dr run on multi grade? I though something like actevo is preferred?

Sent from my A501 using Tapatalk HD

Offline LouisXander

• Lesotho (K)night rider.
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Member of the Secret Sazook Society...
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2013, 10:34:24 am »
Nog feedback Hannes?
Don't dress for the ride,........dress for the fall!

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2013, 09:24:31 pm »
Nog feedback Hannes?

10KLR visited me this weekend and we went for a ride on my DRZ and his V-Strom. The bike was all clean and shiny for the man's test riding and I took him for some trail riding towards Schoenies to experience the DRZ. I hadn't ridden for a while mainly due to recovering from minor surgery and just being too busy at work, so I rode my own bike part of the way there to fill her up and just have a little fun as well.
The long of the short is 10KLR was very impressed with the DRZ he might even have bought it, but I convince him that it really is not the bike for him... How much more feedback do you need? No, honestly, this 462cc motor runs so sweet that I won't part with it easily. Things might change when the RMX250 is up and running, but that won't be this year.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 09:46:09 pm by Torque Curve »

Offline Heddles

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2013, 04:57:50 am »
I have started my chassis changeout... JUst working on the bike makes me realise what an awesome little machine it is...
I can only imagine how nice that 462 motor must be...

Offline 10Klr

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 09:11:41 am »
Its amazing!!  Short and simple.  That is the best DRZ i have seen and the motor  :drif:

Thanks again for a great morning out.  Its ppl  like you that make the forum a great place  :thumleft:
Love the one you are with

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 10:28:00 pm »
Its amazing!!  Short and simple.  That is the best DRZ i have seen and the motor  :drif:

Thanks again for a great morning out.  Its ppl  like you that make the forum a great place  :thumleft:

It now looks like this and is for sale.