The revenge of La Poderosa- the Mighty One - or "Trouble comes in fours " tour

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ougat

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
If you have read Motorcycle diaries you would know that La Pederosa was a Norton 500 that Che Guevara took on a EPIC 4and a half month trip around South America - As the HP2 is also a mighty bike I named it in honour of that trip on its maiden trip earlier 2012 - see the separate threat about this trip.

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=100432.0

In Motorcycle diaries they had to abandon the "Mighty One " as its frequent breakdowns kept holding them back ... so this trip is very appropriately named as first it was EPIC and an abandon bike is also one of the main protagonists .....

So lets start at the beginning as they say in the movies a EPIC journey starts with a few small steps ......

So what was the plan ? We are members of one of the most Lekker BMW bike clubs .. the one in Pretoria . To encourage the members to explore they have these challenges -- EXtreme Challenge Gold - to get to the four compass points ind RSA in 21 Days . There are also some other challenges like the Alphabet challenge both on road and off road - the intention to get to some towns not in Gauteng from A to Z, The Lighthouse and Harbour challenge - "The coasting Allong " etc

Our plan was to attempt this challenge in the December break. Originally the intention was to pillion or to let us both use the bikes . As I wanted to do this on the HP2 some serious additions would have been needed ... then we came up with the plan ... We have at our disposal 1Ougat GP a 2011 Jimny with all the necessary additions .... this worked well as with my wife in the "quad" I would not need any luggage or tools on the HP , she felt also much more confortable with the idea , she would also  experience what I experience and it would be a great relationship  builder .. so that was the plan ... to get to Alexanderbaai and Cape Aghulas and visit some of the offroad Alphabet challenge point on the way ....

Our intention also was to not have a detail plan but a general direction with a few points in the GPS and to follow the roads and sleep where ever we found ourselfs at 18:00 on a given day . We had a tent and matrass sleeping bags etc if camping was the only way . We set off on the 27 of Dec ... pointed the bike in the Potch direction and hit the road . The intention of the first day was to sleep on my Uncle's farm in Boshoff . They both in their 80's and my aunt had a stroke about a year ago so we wanted to meet up with them .... so here we go ... :thumleft:

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 706