Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 - rear shock  (Read 949 times)

Ratsalad

DR650 - rear shock
« on: October 31, 2007, 08:46:01 am »
Whats the trick to inflating the rear shock - only a small psssst when I remove the nozzle and it's gone!

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
Re: DR650 - rear shock
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 09:49:09 am »
Inflating the rear shock of a DR650SE?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 09:59:49 am »
I'm also puzzled

Ratsalad

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 10:30:01 am »
It has a separate reservoir for nitrogen with an valve like a tyre where you inflate it. At least mine has. When I try to inflate it I can't get the nozzle out fast enough and it loses compression again.
Here's pics - (I'll wait while you run down to your bikes to go and check):
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 10:32:25 am by Blikn√™rs »

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 10:41:19 am »
what do you inflate it with? Nitrogen, I'm sure, but what type of device?
Is the reservoir not already full?
why do you want to do it?
have you tried turning the dampening screw to low, fill the cylinder with gas and then turn the screw back up again? Will that help?

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 10:50:50 am »
hope you did not deflate all you N

Ratsalad

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 01:16:08 pm »
Update:
There's a special connector you need thats got a special thing inside thats blocks the air from escaping when you remove the nozzle. I have one in my pocket (borrowed) but it's to long so the exhaust will have to come off or the shock needs to be removed. If the exhaust is off I can't ride the bike to the guy thats got the nitrogen.
Reason I'm doing this is that the bike almost fell on my son when he climbed on it (from the wrong side) over the weekend as it sagged under his +- 10kg weight. I took the bike in to have it looked at and was told you can pump them up so they don't sag as much. Sounded easy so I went for it, now it's getting a bit more complicated - I've never removed a shock.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 10:55:39 pm »
The nitrogen should never escape from the cylinder nor need refilling for that matter. If the bike has done alot of mileage I would just have it rebuilt with fresh seals and nitro recharge. Get the bike on crate or stand and remove the rear wheel and slip on part of the exhaust. Just keep the dust seals/washers and bolts in the correct order on the links when you remove the shock. Oil on shaft ?
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 09:34:18 am »
The shock is not designed to be made harder by increasing the pressure of the nitrogen fill.
Main purpose of the pressurisation is to prevent the damper oil from foaming.

If you want to get a harder shock because yours bottoms out all the time go for an aftermarket replacement. (Or lose weight ;D)

If it's only for the reason described above park in a different place, shorten the side stand or lock the garage.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline goonrider

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 11:49:59 am »
IMO you shouldn't fiddle with the Nitro's (no pun intended) and I agree you won't stiffen your rear shock that way. I had the problem with wanting a stiffer (less sag) rear shock coming from a RM 250 to the DR. I had Martin Petzold in Cape Town have a look at it (when my seal went and I had to have it repaired in any case) and he mentioned of putting extra shimms in (it makes it harder for the oil to pass through the valve, thus stiffening the shock) he did this and it worked ( not in a big way but some) My shock still sags if you put press on the seat, but according to Martin, that's what they do. Hope this helps.
Keep it on one wheel

KTM300, Triumph Tiger 955i, XR650R, DR650SE, RM250, DT175, Blaster 200

Ratsalad

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 12:38:01 pm »
Guys I appreciate the comments and can see you're trying to help - I should have elaborated more in my original post.
The pressure in the reservoir is not within spec and I need to add some nitrogen - the bike sags more than it should due to this.
I can't get the nitrogen in the DR, it's almost as if the valve is blocked - nothing happens. So I' was wondering if theres a trick to it or special tool needed?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 12:40:48 pm by Blikn√™rs »