Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa Raw Paws  (Read 8425 times)

Offline Hubs640

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Where the road leads
Re: Africa Raw Paws
« Reply #260 on: March 10, 2013, 12:48:54 pm »
The were fans inside,but no electricity. Also it was very difficult communicating with people understanding nothing other than Portuguese

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #261 on: March 10, 2013, 01:06:25 pm »
Day 49 - Rio Save to Inhambane [ 420km , 80% tar]

That night must have been the worst storm so far and it was still raining when we woke. We got dressed,covered our boots with plastic and got going in the rain. 70km further we stopped for petrol and there my baby did not want to leave-she would idle,but once you accelerate,then she dies again. So we got out the rain to a nearby grass cover and started eliminating the obvious problems. After maybe 2 hours of struggling with the seat,tank and covers off we were still unable to figure out the problem. Roadkill then phoned KTM in CT and described the problem to Kevin[Chief machanic] who immediately said she had water in the petrol and we needed to drain the carburetor...wow,all that just by and explanation over the phone! It worked although I had to do it twice-so it was on with all the covers and back on the road. That whole story cost some time and only managed Maxixi after 5pm and just missed the pharmacy for an ear infection Roadkill had to sort out. From there it was a short tar section which turned into some soft but fun sand and then REALLY soft sand. It seamed like we would always hit the difficult part at the end of the day when your arms are tired and concentration deplenished. We were heading for Gunjata bay where a friend of our were dive instructor and only arrived there well after dark and after a few off's that had me shouting in my helmet out of frustration. We were guided along the last 3km since the gps could not show us the way and finally we got to our destination-right on the beach in the nature reserve.We had a whole backpackers to ourselves and only paid R130 p/d. Packed off,had a shower and strolled the beach for some supper which came in the shape of and awesome pizza. Again a hard day and the next we would took off to relax.

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #262 on: March 10, 2013, 01:16:23 pm »
Roadside repair....thanks Roadkill and Kevin-you guy's saved me.

Offline Pathfinder

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Sonstraal Hoogte
« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2013, 03:24:38 pm »

Offline Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #264 on: March 11, 2013, 10:59:11 am »
I love how you remember the details about the meals you had.   :biggrin: :biggrin:

Great writing and a fun report to read!

Go!!
And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Probie

• Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • The Great Outdoors are waiting for us
« Reply #265 on: March 18, 2013, 04:45:54 pm »
Sub, really enjoying this RR...........we are waiting  :patch:  :thumleft:

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #266 on: April 17, 2013, 01:17:47 am »
What ever happened to the rest of this??
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline Spastic Spy

• Bike: Yamaha XT 600 Z
  • Professional Unicorn Hunter
« Reply #267 on: April 17, 2013, 07:11:25 pm »
Yes, WTF? Was enjoying that..... 

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #268 on: April 17, 2013, 08:04:04 pm »
 :thumleft: Excellent RR
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #269 on: April 19, 2013, 03:37:25 pm »
Reality is a bitch....why can you not just keep on traveling! Sorry everyone - I was unable to continue due to work circumstances, but now determind to finish this report,so here goes

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #270 on: April 19, 2013, 03:59:25 pm »
Day 50 and 51 , Guinjata Bay [ 0 km,but much needed chilling]

The bay is beautiful and very relaxing - I woke early and had a nice stroll along the beach. We just missed the peak season and had everything to ourselves. On our to-do list was scuba diving and possibly some offshore fishing and then some more relaxing. A fishing trip would cost over R5000 which was WAY over our budget and Roadkill was suffering from an ear infection and myself from a mild cold,so that ruled diving out too which was a real pity since the have a Manta Reef there which was said to be a cleaning station for Manta's. So we hooked up with our friend Charl and joined them to a braai on the beach. I managed to get some bait from the locals and tried to fish in the surf,but the braai had taken its toll and all I could catch was my own damn bait...it was a waste of 250MK for bait and 450MK for a fishing licence. We scored a Bonito from one of the charters that came back and took the fire back to the main house for another braai...good times with good people. The next day started way too late to make it to Maputo before sunset,so we decided on some other chores - our front tires were becoming an issue now!Roadkill managed to arrange 2 front tires from Mark at KTM in Nelspruit to be taken to Malalane the next day at no charge,but this meant we had a hard day riding waiting,so we relaxed some more.It is insane how hot it was!Just before the rainy season when the earth needs to be cooled down....killer

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #271 on: April 19, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »
Our pozzy at Guinjata Bay

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #272 on: April 19, 2013, 04:15:39 pm »
The view from the porch...how awesome is that?!

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #273 on: April 19, 2013, 04:17:34 pm »
Us with our friend Charl - he was a dive master there...what an awefull job   :pot:

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #274 on: April 19, 2013, 04:19:51 pm »
I tried to capture the sandy road leading to the reserve which saw me come off twice getting there. It must also be said that it was dark and at the end of a hard day and I was screaming in my helmet out of frustration

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #275 on: April 19, 2013, 04:21:49 pm »
The guy's who sponsored the Bonito

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #276 on: April 19, 2013, 04:23:23 pm »
I tried catching my own Bonito,but the brandy was flowing stronger than the waves and all I could catch was my own bait!

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #277 on: April 19, 2013, 04:48:59 pm »
Day 52 - Guinjata Bay to Malalane / RSA [640km , 90% tar]

This was our longest leg so far and a killer! We were packed and on the road by 7am - the first 20km was soft sand,but with fresh arms it was a breeze. After that it was tar all the way...boring. There are palm tree's everywhere-braught here by the Portuguese and used for everything. A local named 12 different uses for a palmtree,but I will not bore you with them.The houses are neat and the SA influence becomes more visible the further south you travel - roads become better and signs more visible. I had to do an emergency stop for my still upset stomach and soothed it with a Cannabis energy drink. Neering Maputo we followed the gps to only go through the out skirts and not through the main city....damn it was busy with crazy drivers. We stopped at a petrol station and rushed away there due to a gas cylinder that exploded 50 meters from us-hugh bang! Just before the border we were caught speeding again-80km/h in a 60 zone will cost you 2000MK,but we only had 1000 per person,so they quickly changed the 'invoice' and took that....corrupt with a smile.At Komatipoort we stood in a long que in the heat and enjoyed the oh-so-missed attitude of our lovely government officials-at this stage we still wore out body armor,but could not handle a jacket in the heat.Once through it is clear that we are back in SA-roads are beautiful and roadsigns that work.It was a race against time to get to the shop in Malalane before 5pm to pick up our tires,but we made it.We settled for a Wimpy burger and then found a place to stay for the night. What a day and my biggest regret being chasing through Mozambique and not even enjoying any prawns. We were behind schedule and had to be in CT in 6 days

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #278 on: April 19, 2013, 05:48:36 pm »
Day 53 - Malalane to Sodwana /through Swaziland [500km , 80% tar]

Chill In was a nice place [with air-con] and resulted in an awesome rest. Again up early and had lots to do -with time running out and bosses already wanting to know when we will be back,but we still had lots we wanted to do.So we made use of the nice drive way to change our front tyres...Trekka now had a Mitas E07 on the rear and a Pirelli Ralley Cross 2T on the front which KTM charged us R530 for and free delivery...nice.From there we passed by Quick Fit to have Roadkill's luggage rack welded and off we went. 40km Further we got to Jeppes Reef border post to get into Swaziland - friendly people and only cost R50. It was strange to see that 10km down the road we were in 'Africa' again with animals walking everywhere and people riding without helmets on. The first stretch was lush green-we missed our turn off and took a detour over a mountain pass-it was gravel,so no complaints. We had lots of fun-I musjudged a turn which nearly sent my taking even a shorter rout down and Roadkill used a cow to stop him from skidding into a ditch.Back on the tar we gave it gas again since Sodwana was still some km's away. Further south the mountains are replaced with open plains and hot hot heat.I am talking heat that burns your face while you ride!We stopped at Big Bend for a much needed coke and a break from the oven. Just before the southern border you get Royal Jozini Big 6 which is a hugh reserve where I saw some game from the road. At Lavumisa Border post it was a different story again-arrogant idiots.I phoned ahead to arrange accommodation in Sodwana and a dive for the next day. We only got there after dark at Occi's dive shop who had nice cabins for cheep and chilled out people. We strolled the town for some chow and met very interesting [some hot] hippies and cooled off with a few beers.

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #279 on: April 19, 2013, 05:52:08 pm »
Tyre change at Chill In in Malalane