Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa Raw Paws  (Read 8071 times)

Offline Hubs640

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Where the road leads
Re: Africa Raw Paws
« Reply #280 on: April 19, 2013, 05:53:51 pm »
Old and the new - that Michellin Desert did nearly 11 000km !

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #281 on: April 19, 2013, 05:54:34 pm »
Beautiful mountains in Swaziland

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #282 on: April 19, 2013, 05:55:24 pm »
Having missed our turn off we came over the mountain on this road....good fun

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #283 on: April 19, 2013, 06:17:49 pm »
Day 54 - Sodwana to Cato Ridge [ 400km , 100% tar]

I was a bit nervous about the dive,because I was not sure what to expect.We got picked up at 6-30 and taken down to the reserve and onto the beach. The place was humming with dive schools and personel-it is obvious what makes Sodwana so popular. We were briefed and off to the rubber duck we went -the surf was INTENSE [all launches are from the beach] and the wind blowing 20 knots. Another duck almost flipped,but we were safe with the Amoray crowd.15 minutes ride and we were on our spot-flippers on and down we went...THE BEST DIVING EXPERIENCE EVER!Its like little mermaid came alive-so much see live you don't know where to look.Moray eals,sting ray's,snappers,kingfish,puffer fish,corral fish and even a turtle that aloud us to swim right up and touch it.We went 18 meter deep and the visibility was amazing! We swam through hugh schools of fish and under colourfull reefs-man it was special!With nearly no more pressure in my cylinder we went up for our decompression check and the back onto the boat with everybody smiling. The dive cost us R940 for both and was worth every cent.Back at the lodge Roadkill was nervous about a noise that started on his bike-knowing Alfie Cox has a KTM shop in Durban,we phoned him and asked if he could have a look.At first he gave us shit for expecting a short notice inspection,but then he arranged accommodation for us at a friends place next to his farm right next to the junior motocross track called High Stakes.So we packed the bikes and off we went,but could only do 4000RPM not to do any further damage to the bike.We arrived in Cato Ridge in pouring rain and thunder and was greeted by Jerry[owner] and his wife who knew we were coming and had a plate of hot home cooked food ready for us-I was so greatfull for those nice people. We had a few drinks at the bar and settled for an early night-the next day we would meet the legend and see what we could do to get Roadkill's bike going again

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #284 on: April 19, 2013, 06:21:54 pm »
Occi's dive shop and accommodation - nice spot and cheep

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #285 on: April 19, 2013, 06:22:42 pm »
That smile say's 'I am going diving today!'

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #286 on: April 19, 2013, 06:23:30 pm »
Sodwana beach....very busy so early in the morning

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #287 on: April 19, 2013, 06:25:26 pm »
The tracktor would push the duck into the water to get us going....man there were some hot girls driving those tracktors!

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #288 on: April 19, 2013, 06:39:30 pm »
Day 55 - Cato Ridge to Mzikhulu [ 130km , 100% tar]

In the morning we took the panniers off to be at Alfie Cox'es KTM workshop by 7-30 and it was still raining.When we got there we met the legend himself-what a cool down to earth guy. He had a look and listen to the bike and said we should leave it with him and come back later-we even got to take a pic with him and his 2002 KTM! After a few hours of chilling at the club house we got the bad news-they could not find the problem and if they had to open the engine they would only be able to get parts to us by Wednesday being Saturday and we have to be at work that Monday!!!So we decided to take it easy and see if we could make it to East London where Roadkill had family and could possibly help.We collected the bike,put the panniers back on and aimed for Kokstad as our next stop,but that was not to happen. Over the mountain passes and in the rain [it was freaken FREEZING] we stopped at Mzikhulu for a coffee and there is where we stayed. Roadkill's bike would not start and it was pouring down.Being the only 2 white dudes in the town I decided to get some place to stay for the night while Roadkill try to sort it out. We were pretty kitted with spares and relay's and it looked like a power problem,so I found a place with a sort of garage where he could work and towed his bike there. Man it was frustrating to see how he struggled while [f*cking clueless me] could only stand and watch,so I set off for some beers and KFC. At long last we gave up for the night and would battle it again in the morning - rain still pouring down

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2013, 06:42:09 pm »
The bar at High Stakes

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #290 on: April 19, 2013, 06:43:20 pm »
The motorcross track next to the club house...how cool is that!

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #291 on: April 22, 2013, 08:38:44 am »
Us with the legend...what a cool guy

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #292 on: April 23, 2013, 04:31:56 pm »
Day 56 - Mzikhulu to East London [ 480km on the back of a bakkie]

The battery had a chance to relax and slowly charge through the night - in the morning we tried to running start it and it worked,but not for long. Now we were convinced it was the battery and would just need to charge it,but there in laid another problem....we were stuck in a one horse town! Finally found a tyre place who could help,but even after charging it for hours,it did not work and all along Roadkill constantly changed relay's around and trying to work things out. In the end the shop closed and we were left on the side of the road-our only hope being to get to East London where Roadkill has family who could probably help. We tried everything - renting a bakkie from Avis to Cape Town would cost more than R10 000! Friends from Durban offered to come and get us,but that was moving in the wrong direction and we had 1 more day before work starts!Locals were looking to take advantage of the two stranded bikers,so we had to make a plan - eventually I asked if someone would like to make a buck and take us to East London with the bike's on a bakkie [500km further]. At first they wanted R7000 - after much debating we got somebody to do it for R3500...deal,we loaded the bike's onto a dodgy Mitchebishi bakkie and left Mzikhulu at 5pm - the driver was an old truck driver which set me at ease a bit and at least we got out that town....not once did I feel threatened in Africa,but in my own country I had strangers walking up to me and warning me of other thieves intentions!It was a long drive - we got to East London at 1:30am the next morning. The road through Mtata was rough and we took shifts in keeping the driver awake...just thankfull nothing bad happened and happy to be amongst familiar faces...what a day!

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #293 on: April 23, 2013, 04:42:24 pm »
The open garage I found at Mzikhulu for Roadkill to work on his bike

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #294 on: April 23, 2013, 04:44:10 pm »
Outside the battery shop....all the efforts in fixing the bike was in vain,but it was not due to a lack of trying!!!

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #295 on: April 23, 2013, 04:45:58 pm »
And off we went in a dodgy vehicle on a 9 hour drive in the rain with our baby's on the back

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #296 on: April 23, 2013, 04:58:52 pm »
Day 57 - East London

Here everyone is bike experts and at 10 the morning they had Roadkill's bike running,but it sounded sick. It turned the battery was completely finished,but the noise from the engine was much much worst and would never see the next town!Roadkill's bike has come to the end of its journey - now just to figure out how we could get both bike and rider back to Cape Town. I phoned the boss who was not impressed,but what could I do. In the end Roadkill managed to get a courier company to collect his bike later on the week and he would take a flight,but Trekka was still going and I would drive back the next day. I must admit - it felt kak to end the trip in such a way and I know Roadkill tried everything he could and was also disappointed,but again...what can you do. So with plans put in place we spent the rest of the day with his family and filled our stomach's with good food and beer. I got all my stuff ready for the last leg home so I could leave early in the morning....not really chuffed doing it by myself,but was determind to finish this trip.

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #297 on: April 23, 2013, 05:05:06 pm »
Roadkill's bike would be picked up by a bike courier company later that week and taken to Cape Town for a fraction of the price it would cost us to hire a bakkie...

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #298 on: April 23, 2013, 05:06:34 pm »
This was the end of the line for these 2 musketeers....shot buddy...it was a life experience that I will never forget!

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #299 on: April 23, 2013, 05:14:46 pm »
Day 58 - East London to Mosselbaai [ 680km , 100% tar]

I woke at 4 am and got going - Roadkill's uncle ,oom Piet, showed me the way to the highway and sent me on my way. The road was boring and it was sad to be alone on it. I averaged 110km p/h and again would only stop when my ass wanted to smoke. By 2pm I was in Mosselbay and in my moer - This was the longest leg I have done this whole trip and the hectic winds going through PE has taken its toll. I found a back packers and settled for the night....well only after having one too many at the local...crazy people in Mosselbaai. There is not much to talk about on this leg - now it was about getting home,because I have run out of excuses for not being at work....not many people I know get 2 months leave and still maintain there job,so I guess I must be gratefull.