Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Africa Raw Paws  (Read 7851 times)

Offline Hubs640

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Where the road leads
Re: Africa Raw Paws
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2013, 06:33:19 pm »
The sounds of fish eagles are just amazing

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2013, 06:56:23 pm »
Day 12 - Bagani to Kongola [ 230km , 80% tar]

After a R600 brandy bill we decided it was time to move on. They were unable to assist me with a weld job due to solar being their only power,but made a plan with trustworthy 'blou draad' till the next spot. But to get there we had to do the 200km tar road through Caprivi Game reserve-we saw a couple of Kudu's and some Warthogs,but no Elephants. In Kongola I found a guy that helped with the weld repair [road-side-job] which Roadkill ended up doing since that guy could hardly tell the difference between the luggage rack and his foot from welding without glasses. At Ngepi we were told of another bush camp outside Kongola [which was right down our alley] and by pure coincidence we bumped into the owner  at the garage who then let us follow him....we would not have found the place otherwise. A sandy jeep-track brought us to Mushi-river Lodge - in the bush with no fencing....nice. We pitched our tents next to the river on the camp spots. The hippo droppings got me a bit nervous,but Doug [the owner] assured us that if you lay completely still in your tent , the hippo's will show no interest when grazing at night.I had no problem sleeping that night,but Roadkill said my snoring cheered the hippo's on  which came right through between our tents...I think he is lying,but the fresh droppings showed some truth. I did however recall hearing loud rawr on the other side of the river . Again the people were friendly and invited us over to share stories around their fire. Mozzi's were everywhere.

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2013, 07:00:11 pm »
Road side repair

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2013, 07:01:52 pm »
Mushi-river bush camp....nobody around for mile's.....NICE

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2013, 07:03:08 pm »
Camp spot right by the river - we were the only campers there

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2013, 07:04:13 pm »
I don't know why,but that's funny!

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2013, 07:05:00 pm »
Dan the owner

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2013, 05:22:59 pm »
Day 13 & 14 - Kongola to Katima [300km , 50% gravel]

We decided to take the long [gravel] route to Katima which took us south east at first then north east again. The Chinese are working on the road [and will be for a long time by the looks of it] and left a detour path along side the road,but never thought of allowing for any drainage. At the time there has only been a few showers,but the locals will definitely be stranded when it starts bucketing down. It was also our first encounter of pools and mud terrain and were loving it!I had my first proper laps of talent crossing a big puddle and my front wheel disappeared leaving me swimming.....Roadkill came to the rescue and stepped in the SAME hole which sent him swimming too....the best was that his helmet mount go-pro recorded the whole scenario! After a siggie and some laughs we did the rest of the road to Katima - busy town. By now I have grown fond of the quite wilderness and open spaces and got extremely irritated in busy,chaotic towns,but the only reason we went was to stock up on supplies and managed to do that in record time.We visited a guy call Keith at Caprivi lodge who did a solo trip on a KLR through Zambia to see if we can get some more info on what was laying ahead...old guy set in his way's who criticized our amount of luggage and over kill of safety gear....he did his trip in jeans and vellies. From there we went to Island View river lodge for another attempt to catch the illusive Tiger Fish. It was dark and raining when we got there,but that did not scare us South Africans off from making a fire and braaing chicken just bought in town....ok it did take some 'dutch' courage and petrol,but nothing stops a hungry man.
In the morning we met the owners and the guide who was taking us up river to fish - all were surprised to know that we braaied in the rain. Again a very nice place owned by friendly people - they even offered to put our wet clothes in the dryer whilst we go fishing.the boat trip took about 20 min to get to the main part of the Zambezi- and it was still raining-we both had one shot,my fish came off the hook and Roaddkills line snapped as the fish got along side the boat,but man,what a rush!With the boat charging per hour,our money ran out so it was back to the bar to drown our sorrow's

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2013, 05:29:21 pm »
The puddle in the back ground that sent us both swimming

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2013, 05:38:13 pm »
Camp site at Island View river lodge. I did not take too many pics since it was raining the whole time we were there

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2013, 05:58:21 pm »
Day 15 - Katima to Kasane/Botswana [160km , 90% tar]

Our fishing attempt was a fail and we were eager to get out the rain. The road leading out from the lodge was propper mud with a few evidence tracks of cars that has slipped off the side. It took some concentration,but in no time we were back on the tar without any off's. 60km further we got to the Botswana border post [Ngoma] with the sun shining for the first time in 3 day's. Again with the kit of - kit on - kit off - kit on nonsense and arrogant officials ,but after some 'whoosa' we were through and at the gate of Chobe National park leading to Kasane....the only reason they allow bikes through is because there is no other way and the chance of spotting wild is great. At first we saw some warthog and strange birds,but then elephants,Buffalo,sable,kudu and some other dear. I was still trying to get a good shot of the Buffalo when a troop of elephants crossed the road! A maniac in a bakkie came charging past and head strait through the middle of the heard which lead to the last female charging the both of us! What an awesome experience!In Kansane we got fuel,supplies and money and headed out of town to Sinyate safari camp. A sandy road lead us to this amazing camp - the bar is elevated with a bore hole in front where animals come to drink and there are no fences around and the Zimbabwe side 100 meter into the veld. According to the owner the area allows for 100 000 elephants,but currently there is about 170 000 roaming and you can see all the devastation they leave behind. Also lots of Blister Beatles to watch out for - they squirt their juice onto you and leave you with a nasty blister.

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2013, 05:59:43 pm »
Ngoma border post in Botswana

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2013, 06:01:01 pm »
Elephants maby 30 meter into the bush

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2013, 06:02:32 pm »
Just too late to gget a good shot of the crossing - check the idiot bakkie in the distance

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2013, 06:03:48 pm »
Sinjate bush camp

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2013, 06:05:22 pm »
The deck from where you can whatch the game that comes to drink at the water hole 20 meter further

Offline chickenbadger

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2013, 06:49:02 pm »
Sho! This is epic! Gives me goosebumps, I tell you! My own F800GS is currently getting crated and shipped tomorrow up to Kenya where I am joining it with a mate. We are riding down from Mombassa.
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. I dont have this luxury.

Offline Difflock

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Make it a Habit to RIDE SAFELY!
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2013, 09:02:38 pm »
Very very nice so far :thumleft: Great adventure.
1) XT660R 2010
2) R1150GS Adventure 2003
3) XT1200ZE 2014

Offline Hubs640

• Where the road leads
« Reply #98 on: February 15, 2013, 09:57:01 am »
Hey Chickenbadger,that sounds awesome! Which route will you be taking down? Are you stopping at Ngorogoro Crater -said to be spectacular. I am so jealous....I should NEVER have come back.....reality sucks....should have just kept going!

Offline chickenbadger

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #99 on: February 15, 2013, 01:27:36 pm »
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214572478979329946513.0004d5af95ca80db2d495&msa=0

Thats our route (roughly) on google maps... What do you think? Its still under scrutiny (i have asked the Wild Dogs to comment, but nothing so far).

Yeah im kukking myself to be honest...
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. I dont have this luxury.