Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: UK Journo killed on watercooled GS Launch  (Read 9403 times)

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
Re: UK Journo killed on watercooled GS Launch
« Reply #200 on: January 29, 2013, 05:46:52 pm »
Obviously plaas die insident vir Motorrad onder geweldige druk................... as daar dalk iets fout
sou wees met die motorfiets, dan sal dit vir hulle 'n PR nagmerrie wees en kan hulle
wÍreld bemarkings-veldtog vir die nuwe GS erg in die wiele ry.

Natuurlik sal Motorrad se mense versigtig wees.

Offline Bensien

« Reply #201 on: January 29, 2013, 05:54:22 pm »
There has been enough stirring on this thread. There is no cover up or conspiracy. There simply isnít enough information yet. They are waiting for the coronerís report, who  in turn is waiting for lab results.  They have to consider that possibility that he could have lost control as a result of a medical condition. Stroke, heart attack, low blood sugar, heat exhaustion, food poisoning, medication etc. etc.  .

They have to bring in experts to analyse the defects on the bike in order to determine if any of them could be the cause of the crash or if they are all as  the result of the crash. They also have to get in experts to analyse the crash scene for clues or evidence.

The bikes were spaced out at fairly long intervals as a result of the dust. The person behind in all likelihood could not see clear enough to know exactly what happened. The injured rider will still be under sedation and in all probability wonít be able to give a proper statement,  even if he saw or remembers what happened.

There has been enough speculation and BS. My brotherís accident happened in a very similar way. 9 months later and still nobody knows exactly what happened.
Why do things that only happen to stupid people always happen to me?

Offline Wolzak

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Previously Offshore
« Reply #202 on: January 29, 2013, 05:58:02 pm »
There has been enough stirring on this thread. There is no cover up or conspiracy. There simply isnít enough information yet. They are waiting for the coronerís report, who  in turn is waiting for lab results.  They have to consider that possibility that he could have lost control as a result of a medical condition. Stroke, heart attack, low blood sugar, heat exhaustion, food poisoning, medication etc. etc.  .

They have to bring in experts to analyse the defects on the bike in order to determine if any of them could be the cause of the crash or if they are all as  the result of the crash. They also have to get in experts to analyse the crash scene for clues or evidence.

The bikes were spaced out at fairly long intervals as a result of the dust. The person behind in all likelihood could not see clear enough to know exactly what happened. The injured rider will still be under sedation and in all probability wonít be able to give a proper statement,  even if he saw or remembers what happened.

There has been enough speculation and BS. My brotherís accident happened in a very similar way. 9 months later and still nobody knows exactly what happened.

Sensible post, thank you.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #203 on: January 29, 2013, 06:04:05 pm »
Well all we can say is:No Just one Jounrnalist was killed during this launch! So why do BMW keep us in the dark? Slangolie? Slang in die gras? Elk geval so begin die waterverkoelde BMW vir my lyk!

Pullaway you are the dickhead. How you can begin to compare Zuma with the new GS/BMW is beyond comprehension. You are entitled to your opinion but keep it in the gutter where it belongs. If there was even the slightest doubt that it may have been a mechanical failure you can be quite sure BMW would have halted the global launch immediatly. From the little info available at present 'pilot error' would be a logical guess with a fellow pilot in close formation also involved. No slang in the grass or slangolie on the road or elsewhere IMHO. A tragic accident and sad death. Los it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:25:48 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #204 on: January 29, 2013, 06:04:38 pm »

Agreed . Very Sensible Post.  It would be great if this thread could end on such a sensible note . 

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #205 on: January 29, 2013, 06:46:25 pm »

Agreed . Very Sensible Post.  It would be great if this thread could end on such a sensible note . 

Very well speculated indeed  :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #206 on: January 29, 2013, 06:53:07 pm »
There has been enough stirring on this thread. There is no cover up or conspiracy. There simply isn’t enough information yet. They are waiting for the coroner’s report, who  in turn is waiting for lab results.  They have to consider that possibility that he could have lost control as a result of a medical condition. Stroke, heart attack, low blood sugar, heat exhaustion, food poisoning, medication etc. etc.  .

The bikes were spaced out at fairly long intervals as a result of the dust. The person behind in all likelihood could not see clear enough to know exactly what happened. The injured rider will still be under sedation and in all probability won’t be able to give a proper statement,  even if he saw or remembers what happened.

There has been enough speculation and BS. My brother’s accident happened in a very similar way. 9 months later and still nobody knows exactly what happened.

Very well speculated indeed  :thumleft:

+1 
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally - To be Sold, XR650L - Sold,   Honda CRF250Rally back in the stable,   BMW K1200LT.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #207 on: January 29, 2013, 08:41:47 pm »
What is clear is that BMW do not want to make more info available. Some people on this thread spoke to people directly involved and they don't want to elaborate or even tell what they've heard. I do not know any specifics or the reason's for the secrecy, but the speculation will not stop. It's natural for people to wonder what happened, especially if it's being kept a secret.

At this moment, there still isnít a definite answer as to what happened. There isnít any secrecy. The known facts have been stated.  Anything else would be rumours and speculation.

Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Pullaway

« Reply #208 on: January 30, 2013, 12:32:22 am »
Well all we can say is:No Just one Jounrnalist was killed during this launch! So why do BMW keep us in the dark? Slangolie? Slang in die gras? Elk geval so begin die waterverkoelde BMW vir my lyk!

Pullaway you are the dickhead. How you can begin to compare Zuma with the new GS/BMW is beyond comprehension. You are entitled to your opinion but keep it in the gutter where it belongs. If there was even the slightest doubt that it may have been a mechanical failure you can be quite sure BMW would have halted the global launch immediately. From the little info available at present 'pilot error' would be a logical guess with a fellow pilot in close formation also involved. No slang in the grass or slangolie on the road or elsewhere IMHO. A tragic accident and sad death. Los it.
Just to clear things up, I did not try to insinuate any mechanical failure on the bike. More the lack of information  from the people that was there, as well as the organisers that concern me - much like our leader Mr.Z - story first need to go to the spin-doctors before a decent medea release are available? (Gee my net n oomblik om die waarheid uit the dink)
It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2013, 03:48:15 am »
I am ashamed of some of the dogs here.  How do you spin information about a dead man?  Why not be patient and wait until the appropriate authorities give us information.  :-[ :-[
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #210 on: January 30, 2013, 07:11:30 am »
I think the namecalling is uncalled for. personal attacks are not allowed.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
« Reply #211 on: January 30, 2013, 07:15:21 am »

Personally , in this case, I think Pullaway asked for it . >:D 

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
« Reply #212 on: January 30, 2013, 07:21:07 am »
I personally do not like to comment on matters like these without all the facts at hand.It is an unfortunate incident but I will happily wait to see the official findings.There are far too many permutations in this case for me to speculate what could have happened.
This thread will be 30 pages long in a short while ,and noone will be any closer to the truth.
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Mev Vis Arend

« Reply #213 on: January 30, 2013, 07:30:45 am »
RIV.  Sterkte aan die familie en vriende.
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #214 on: January 30, 2013, 08:28:28 am »

Apologies I meant SHOWERhead ... must have been a slip of the finger, momentary lapse in concentration, had Zuma on my mind...
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline jimjim

• Race Dog
  • Bike: MZ (all models)
  • I do nothing all day
« Reply #215 on: January 30, 2013, 01:17:51 pm »
Reading Kevin Duke's review of the new R1200GS on motorcycle.com:

"However, the GS did disappoint me during a casual ride down an open dirt road. I was standing up to get cool air through my riding gear, traveling about 45 mph, when I encountered a washboard section. In an instant and with seemingly no provocation, the bike went into a wild tankslapper that threatened to throw me from the bike. It was a very panicked second before the steering regained its composure.
We canít yet say for certain this is a problem with the bike, but another journalist reported a similar experience when he was riding while standing."

Link: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2013-bmw-r1200gs-review-91507.html

Haven't seen any other reviewers mentioned this issue (yet).
Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake.  - W. C. Fields

Offline Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #216 on: January 30, 2013, 01:46:48 pm »
Reading Kevin Duke's review of the new R1200GS on motorcycle.com:

"However, the GS did disappoint me during a casual ride down an open dirt road. I was standing up to get cool air through my riding gear, traveling about 45 mph, when I encountered a washboard section. In an instant and with seemingly no provocation, the bike went into a wild tankslapper that threatened to throw me from the bike. It was a very panicked second before the steering regained its composure.
We canít yet say for certain this is a problem with the bike, but another journalist reported a similar experience when he was riding while standing."

Link: http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/bmw/2013-bmw-r1200gs-review-91507.html

Haven't seen any other reviewers mentioned this issue (yet).

http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/01/28/launch-bmw-r1200gs/

"The only hiccup in the bikeís handling is a possible tendency to shake its head while standing on the footpegs over rough terrain. On a couple of occasions while standing, hitting a succession of sharp bumps causes the fork to shake just a bit. It isnít alarming; itís just that I donít remember the old bike having any tendency to do this. A couple of the U.S. journos also noted this."

Offline Gavin

« Reply #217 on: January 30, 2013, 01:47:34 pm »
The remainder of the launch has been canceled due to the tragic death of Kevin Ash

Offline hornet3

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #218 on: January 31, 2013, 04:15:13 pm »
In an attempt to end some of the wild speculation on this forum I quote the following from today's George Herald, a local newspaper : "Kevin Ash (53), apparently lost control on the gravel road. ............and died after crashing his motorcycle last Tuesday evening.  It happened too fast for the motorcyclist behind him to swerve out or stop and he collided with Ash, injuring himself as well. The second rider sustained a dislocated shoulder and minor injuries and was discharged from hospital last Friday."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 04:23:18 pm by hornet3 »
Kawasaki Z650 (1978)
Honda Roadpal (1980)
Harley Sportster 883 (2001)
Harley Softail Deuce (2005)
BMW R100RS (1982) BMW R21200GS (2007) BMW F800GS (2013)

Offline Trailrider

• Southern Cape
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
  • "Africa Twin Lite"
    • Trailrider
« Reply #219 on: January 31, 2013, 04:48:47 pm »
Thanks hornet3

I wonder why that was not said in the original staement.