Gutting the 660 Z Silencer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard

Teelhond
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 900 Scrambler
I know a little bit about exhausts, just enough to be a danger to myself, and have a spare to mess around with, so I've decided to do just that.

We know the OEM exhaust, due to design requirements, chokes the enjin, so I'm going to open it up a bit. If You have constructive criticism or suggestions, lets hear it. This may also show those who wondered where what sits, in case you had thought of doing something like it. Eventually we'll see the results.

Lets look at the first foto's and sort out the terminology. You're looking at the silencer from the top.

1. The whole thing you looking at we'll call the exhaust.(not quite correct, as the manifold still needs to be attached)
2. The pipe on the left, which connects to the manifold, is the header pipe.
3. The big box is the silencer
4. The silencer is devided into two chambers, on the left is the collector box and to the right the expansion chamber(muffler)

(the point of this thread is not to explain to you how an exhaust works, but depending on what you want to achieve with the mods, it might be something you need to know. I just want to open it up and retain a bit of muffling growl)

5. Between the two chambers is a baffle plate, and gas flow between the chambers is allowed by an interpipe. You see that better on the second foto.
6. Gas flow out of the expansion chamber is allowed by the stingers, the two little 20mm pipes you see to the right. There are other pipes in the expansion chamber as well, which helps the muffling, which we'll get to later.

So far you can see that I've cut off the catilitic vonverter, which was attached to the header, inside the collector box. I'll show more pics of that later.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 614
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    315.6 KB · Views: 611