Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: GS 800 Pics (Official pics)  (Read 5056 times)

Kev

Re: GS 800 Pics (Official pics)
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2007, 12:18:06 pm »
kev, so THIS is the thread you were talking about  ;D i was confused

:thumleft: ;D

jabu69

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2007, 12:43:59 pm »

Nothing good to say?

Some more info.

The F800GS will be 178 kgs dry, 207kgs wet, seat hight is optional (on order) 880mm or 827mm.

Fuel capacity is 16lts giving a range of at least 400 kms.

Available in 2 colours, Black/yellow, and Managanese(greyish white?)/yellow.

ABS optional, heated grips standard in Oz, centre stand optional.

BMW will release the F800GS and F650GS along with other new models, 1200GS, 1200GSA, and a 450X,early

Something doesn't make sense. IF it weighs 178kgs dry, 16 l of fuel weighs about 14 kg, oil about 3kg and about the same for water - which gives a wet weight of about 198kg - not 207kg?
Also 400kms from 16l is 25km/l - wow!?

Weight, performance, fuel consumption, off-road capability, ... all of these are just speculations at the moment. Maybe BMW will change the bash plate for the South African market (hopefully). I don't mind the exhaust, especially when the richer okes among us will certainly fit a mean Remus or akra.

Motorrad has done a great job in the motorcycle industry by giving us more options ito choice of motorcycles. I gain deep respect for this company more and more everyday.
And as a KTM rider, Motorrad is pushing the competition to higher levels, so that KTM will have to compete by bringing more excellent stuff in the market.

I can't wait to see what Motorrad will do with its acquisition of Husky.

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2007, 12:53:48 pm »

Motorrad has done a great job in the motorcycle industry by giving us more options ito choice of motorcycles. I gain deep respect for this company more and more everyday.
And as a KTM rider, Motorrad is pushing the competition to higher levels, so that KTM will have to compete by bringing more excellent stuff in the market.

holy crap who are you and what have you done with jabu  :o :o :o :o

jabu69

« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2007, 02:23:29 pm »

holy crap who are you and what have you done with jabu  :o :o :o :o

I've gotta be fair sometimes. But don't worry, I'm waiting to see what Bee Em is gonna do with the F650GS...
You should put some bucks on the side to scrap the Dakar of yours for a F800GS.;)

Offline the_wes

• Occasional Perpetrator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Harley Davidson (all models)
    • Rather be Riding
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2007, 02:41:39 pm »
they're going to take the 800 engine and d-tune it into a more road-friendly 650 twin GS - stru's bob. no more dakar in the range - that's what the 800 will be for

would love to sell old dakkie BUT won't be able to afford the 800GS for at least another 2 years...

last night I showed the_wife the photos of the 800GS, and her exact words were "as soon as you get a raise we're buying that"

;D ;D ;D i married a good woman

Offline Max

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2007, 02:59:45 pm »
Gee, you are very lucky. Can we swop wives??

Offline mountainboy

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2007, 03:02:48 pm »
;D ;D ;D i married a good woman

+1

you one lucky man!!!!
I love my bike..................

Offline Max

« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2007, 03:09:37 pm »
I have been following this threat intensely. I have been waiting for this THING for sometime time now and judging from whats shown I will be getting one. Wife will unfortunately not briefed on my acquisition. Easier to ask for forgiveness later.

Offline Aquatic

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2007, 03:12:18 pm »
My Mrs. words " Jeez it's ugly, I think you should but a super bike"

I think she missed the point!
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2007, 03:17:15 pm »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:19:33 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2007, 03:20:34 pm »

Is that all 800cc in a thumper  ???

Side by side twin - waaaaay better...

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Max

« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2007, 03:35:58 pm »
Had the opportunity to ride the 800st when it came out. I was truly impressed except for the clunk. Oh that gearbox, reminds me of my previous. Only on the downshift however. If this is anything like the st Motorwise etc) it will be out of this world for a middle weight parallel twin bike.

Ratsalad

« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2007, 03:41:13 pm »
Something doesn't make sense. IF it weighs 178kgs dry, 16 l of fuel weighs about 14 kg, oil about 3kg and about the same for water - which gives a wet weight of about 198kg - not 207kg?
Also 400kms from 16l is 25km/l - wow!?
Must be special fuel - like concentrate or something?

Offline Max

« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2007, 03:48:39 pm »
I too have a problem with the stats passed on so far. 16l is just too little if one want to tour and 400km forget it.

Offline mountainboy

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • I vespa, therefore I am, well, almost....
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2007, 04:07:26 pm »
I have been following this threat intensely. I have been waiting for this THING for sometime time now and judging from whats shown I will be getting one. Wife will unfortunately not briefed on my acquisition. Easier to ask for forgiveness later.

but love, max said it would be fine if I did not consult you when i bought this bike . Here are his contact details.......... ;D ;D ;D
I love my bike..................

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:19:23 pm by Sláinte Mhaith »

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2007, 04:21:16 pm »
I might be wrong here, but I think the two pipes coming from a single is to be able to have bigger output volume of the gas without having to have a too big outlet port.

Edit - but I'm an IT geek, so don't mind me too much.

:mrgreen:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 04:22:21 pm by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Elmo

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2007, 05:01:44 pm »
I looove those indicators !!!

Offline lecap

« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2007, 07:55:31 am »
I might be wrong here, but I think the two pipes coming from a single is to be able to have bigger output volume of the gas without having to have a too big outlet port.

Edit - but I'm an IT geek, so don't mind me too much.

:mrgreen:

It's called a twin port head.

It does not make sense on two valve engines.

It's actually not that much about the port size (which only grows in diameter by the factor of the square root of 2 if you want to double the cross section)but about optimising the intake and exhaust channels.

Many "twin port" heads are actually "quadruple port" (Like the good old XT600 XT660) They have two sets of ports leading to the intake valves and exhaust valves each.
The XL250 / XL500 were single port on the intake (because of the usage of a single carburettor) and twin port on the exhaust side.

A twin port design makes it easier to achieve straight (more efficient) channels. Due to restrictions of the "length" of the cylinder head a single port four valve head has to have one additional and quite considerable "bend" in the channel where the two intake channels separate / the two exhaust channels meet.
A twin port design head channel has only one "bend" into / out of the line of the valve stem.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2007, 08:09:48 am »
Some more info: I've underlined the interesting bit.

The big news in this episode of As the Motorcycle World Turns is the much anticipated arrival of the F800GS. Finally, a go-anywhere GS that doesn't require a long inseam or a Herculean physique to man-handle it off-road. BMW claims 392 lbs without fuel, which equates to somewhere in the neighborhood of 440 lbs with all fluids and a full tank of gas. A trellis frame is mated to an inverted fork and standard two-sided swingarm with chain final drive. Combined with wire spoke wheels and dual-purpose tires, the new F800GS chassis should make it easy for riders stepping up to this bike to feel comfortable and familiar right away.

Anyone who has ridden a Boxer-powered GS knows it's a little different than the more standard Parallel Twin in the new F800. With a claimed 85 horsepower and 61 lb-ft of torque on tap, the new GS should have enough power to get where it needs to go while the 4.2-gallon fuel tank, located beneath the seat in the same fashion as the F800S/ST, should be enough to make sure it can handle the adventure part of the equation. Fuel economy on the S and ST models is pretty impressive, so as long as this bike is in that same ballpark, it should have a decent 200+ mile range.

Expect a comfortable seat and rider-friendly ergonomics courtesy of its wide, flat footpegs, high bars combined with a tall windscreen and bodywork that extends out to cover up the radiator and provide some semblance of protection from the elements. An assortment of BMW amenities includes ABS and a 400-watt alternator capable of supporting an assortment of accessories, which should make the touring side of the equation livable too.

There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com