Buff's 2013 Offroad Series (WC) - De Doorns Race Vid added

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buff

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
With my Amageza plans hanging in the balance, I’ve decided to shift my focus to the local Offroad scene.
I’ll use this thread to share my progress and experiences as I attempt my first full season of Offroad racing in the WC.

I’ll focus on:
·         Licensing, initial prep to go racing and events
·         The bike
·         Myself and getting fit
·         Ride reports

Licensing
Your first point of call if you want to go racing is to join a local club, which is required before you can obtain a license from Motor Sport SA to race.
In the Western Cape you now have a choice between 2 clubs, WPATV and WCOC and both offer a 5 race Offroad series for the 2013 season.
WPATV – www.wpatv.co.za
WCOC – www.westerncapeoffroad.co.za

I belong to WPATV and my club fees for the year sets me back R350. The club issues you with your club number to use on your MSA license application.
The next step is to enrol with MSA. This can now be done online at www.msaonline.co.za
If you’re racing the local races only then you should join as a Club member. This will allow you to take part in event outside the province but you may only then compete in the Silver class (all-comers).

You will need proof that your Medical Aid will cover you for motorsport or you can take out Medical Aid cover through MSA. You have a range of 4 options to choose from, escalating in expense as cover escalates.

My MSA Club licence, MSA medical aid cover (Option 4 Max) and an environmental mat cost me around R2 700 for the year.
You are then issued with a temporary MSA license while your racing card is in the post on its way to you. You can then go and get your number boards made up for your bike (which I still need to do).

1 day licenses and Social licenses are also available on the MSA web site.

Then you are basically ready to go racing. More detailed info is available on www.cape-enduro.co.za

Events:
These are the events for the WPATV club for 2013:

SENIOR OFF-ROAD 2013

DATE    FACET              CLUB STATUS VENUE
02-Feb SENIOR ORMC WPATV Reg CALEDON
09-Mar SENIOR ORMC WPATV Reg WELLINGTON
18-May SENIOR ORMC WPATV Reg BONNIEVALE
20-Jul SENIOR ORMC WPATV Reg DUNHAYE PARK
07-Sep SENIOR ORMC WPATV Reg ROBERTSON

If you are fit and flush with cash, you can also do the races in the WCOC series.

The club will email you documentation for each event normally around a month in advance to the race. I will be racing Seniors this year (35-46yr class) and each race will set me back R480 entry fee plus R100 for a timing Transponder to use for the year.

The race structure is fairly simple, race a marked Offroad course for as many laps as you can in 3 hours. Offroad is generally much faster than Enduro, which focuses more on technical riding.
Courses can include anything from open gravel roads, farm roads, farm lands, river beds, jeep tracks up mountains etc.