Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Zambia grenspos  (Read 1087 times)

Offline K1200surfer

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • K1200surfer
Zambia grenspos
« on: January 28, 2013, 08:26:13 pm »
Ek gaan van Kariba oor die grens na Zambia.

Weet iemand wat alles betaalbaar is en watter geld eenheid is die beste.

Groete

Offline OOOOMS

Re: Zambia grenspos
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 09:00:33 pm »
- TIP  - Temp. Import Permit, nie seker hoeveel hulle deesdae vra nie
- Geelkoors kaart
- Kar / bike papiere, paspoort, brief van insurance indien op bank se naam, police clearance certificate
- US$ is konig. gebruik geen runners, hulle sal jou probeer roer!   

Offline Tonteldoos

• Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 10:00:16 pm »
- TIP  - Temp. Import Permit, nie seker hoeveel hulle deesdae vra nie
- Geelkoors kaart
- Kar / bike papiere, paspoort, brief van insurance indien op bank se naam, police clearance certificate
Maak seker dit is gesertifiseerde afskrifte van die registrasie dokumente.
Dalk goekoper om internationale 3e party assuransie by die AA uit te neem as op die grenspos.
Zambie werk met kwatcha's
Maak seker jy hou alle kwitansies byderhand, hulle sal daarna vra by padblokades..
2 Wit weerkaatsende stickers op die voorbumper en 2 agter.. (vir 'n kar/bakkie) nie seker vir 'n bike nie..
Wit drom (of enige drom) in die pad = padblokade maak seker jy stop..  ::) kan jou dalk geld kos.. :o
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 10:31:09 pm by Tonteldoos »
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Offline IanC

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:14:03 pm »
Registration papers, and a letter from the owner authorizing you to use the bike in Zambia, if you are not the registered owner
If you are only visiting then ask for a CIP, not a TIP
You will need to pay road toll, carbon tax, and 3rd party insurance. Just taken out insurance for a month and it cost KR 100, about R175. Not sure what carbon tax and road toll is as I imported my bike permanently today.
There is a district levy of KR 10 at Kazungula and I am sure the same at Sinazongwe.
$ do not work in Zambia anymore so  get some kwacha at a bureau de change before you get to the border.
I am not sure about the police clearance if you are only visiting, but I think it is not necessary but maybe someone can confirm. Remember if you need a police clearance you need to microdot your bike. I had to microdot mine for a SARPCO clearance and to find someone to do a bike is not easy. I ended up using Recoveri, check there website or PM me and I will give you there number

Offline Minora

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:47:05 pm »
- TIP  - Temp. Import Permit, nie seker hoeveel hulle deesdae vra nie
- Geelkoors kaart

Ek het 'n jaar in Zambie gebly vir 'n projek - awesome land!

US$ is nie meer koning nie, nuwe wetgewing vereis alle transaksies moet in Kwacha geskied, en die laaste drie '000 het ook weggeval, so probeer maar van die nuwe Note in die hande kry

Op gemiddeld was die kwacha so 1,6 ratio met die rand: ZMK 80 000 = R128, nie seker of die wisselkoers nou aangepas is dat ZMK80=R128 nie. Maar in so arm land is ek seker die ou note is nog en gaan nog lank in sirkulasie wees.
Ek weet nie wat hier aangaan nie, maar dis 'n moerse sukses!!!

Offline IanC

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 11:18:57 pm »
Old notes will work until June 2013 at least. Kwacha is very stable against the dollar so depends on the Rand exchange rate.
Best advise for the border posts is be patient, ask and you will be helped, avoid runners if you can and if you can't, agree the rate for there services beforehand and stick to it. Once you start handing out cash you won't stop. Also change money at a bureau de change and avoid the money changers, they will give you a bad exchange rate and cheat you if they can. If you can't avoid them then know the current exchange rates, they do and are there to make a buck

Offline K1200surfer

• K1200surfer
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 06:41:36 am »
Thank you all. Very usefull information received from the AA(not the alchoholic one!). Go to    http://www.aa.co.za/travel/into-africa/vehicle-requirements.html

Offline tgg

• Bike: Piaggio (all models)
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 08:41:36 pm »
I was in Zambia 2 years ago and did not take $ was advised just to take R , drew money at the first ATM and had local currency, no exchange rates or commission involved, althouth FNB did take their cut. Was nice time. 

But when I walked over bridge at Vic falls I could not enter to see from otherside as they wanted USD and i did not have, so had to walk all the way back.

What i did realise later that all tourist places in zambia charge $ eguivilents, jy kak en betaal, asof jy in america is , 5$ for a beer that is actually R5