Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Biker down on Hans Strydom this morning?  (Read 4927 times)

Offline jagter

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Biker down on Hans Strydom this morning?
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2013, 02:58:19 pm »
Subscribe.  HKGK

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 03:00:25 pm »
Not strickly speaking hit and run as he did identify himself ( if it is his business card )

A Business card is not identification. He would have had to shown his drivers license/ID/Passport. I have all manner of business cards that aren't mine XD

The funny thing is this driver sounds so arrogant that I wouldn't be surprised if it is his business card , he probably thinks he is above the law. And if he is friendly with the police , he may very well be. The bike rider will have to force the police to make a criminal case, if he wants to bother .

Offline White Rhino

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Save the White Rhino
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 03:06:56 pm »
Not strickly speaking hit and run as he did identify himself ( if it is his business card )

A Business card is not identification. He would have had to shown his drivers license/ID/Passport. I have all manner of business cards that aren't mine XD

The funny thing is this driver sounds so arrogant that I wouldn't be surprised if it is his business card , he probably thinks he is above the law. And if he is friendly with the police , he may very well be. The bike rider will have to force the police to make a criminal case, if he wants to bother .
Agree with your sentiments. He would obviously deny stopping on purpose - how can you prove his intent - a witness has an opinion only ?
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal lobotomy
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Beta 300RR, KTM500, KTM990 Adv, HPN635, 1200GS LC

Offline Bundu

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 03:11:18 pm »

Agree with your sentiments. He would obviously deny stopping on purpose - how can you prove his intent - a witness has an opinion only ?

but it sounds like he kicked up a fuss at the traffic light, then sped past and in front of the biker, so the average person would not believe his not stopping on purpose

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 03:17:50 pm »

but it sounds like he kicked up a fuss at the traffic light, then sped past and in front of the biker, so the average person would not believe his not stopping on purpose

Yes there should be lots of witnesses. Hope they got their numbers.  And if a criminal case is made the man has to face the consequences of his actions to some extent by having to go to the cop station to be charged , and also hopefully to Court . But it is always hard to prove intent .

At least the rider must report it at the SAP . He can always drop the case later , or the case may die its own death anyway .

Offline Mooch

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 03:33:50 pm »
That kind of behaviour is not acceptable. if all is true some kind of corrective action is required...
If in doubt, flat out.

Offline White Rhino

• Save the White Rhino
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 03:38:20 pm »
Playing the Devil's advocate here ..... so work with me .....

Hitting someone in the rear already puts you at a disadvantage. If the driver can claim that he needed to make an emergency stop, and it is "plausable", he may have an out ... what say you okes and legal boffs?
Nothing clears the head like a throttle twisted and the fresh air on the tip of the nose

Offline Rynet

• Vendors
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 04:00:24 pm »
Playing the Devil's advocate here ..... so work with me .....

Hitting someone in the rear already puts you at a disadvantage. If the driver can claim that he needed to make an emergency stop, and it is "plausable", he may have an out ... what say you okes and legal boffs?

Apparently there was lots of witnesses who saw how he hooted at the rider and then stopped on purpose. But yes , its not ideal and it would be difficult, but not impossible, to prove he had the intent to harm . But at the  very least , they should make a case of reckless driving against him , there was nothing in the road to make him stop like that .

Offline Moondog

• Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
  • AKA : Tony
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 04:05:44 pm »
Whatever this guy has got coming to him, it's not going to get to him via the cops - that is for sure.
Life is tough - get a helmet!

Ganjora

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2013, 04:07:00 pm »
Apparently there was lots of witnesses who saw how he hooted at the rider and then stopped on purpose. But yes , its not ideal and it would be difficult, but not impossible, to prove he had the intent to harm . But at the  very least , they should make a case of reckless driving against him , there was nothing in the road to make him stop like that .

did the witnesses see what was directly in front of his car?
if they were ahead of him,  how much could they see in their mirrors?
if they were behind him,  how could they see what was directly in front of him?
i see an insurance companies letter of demand for the biker...

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 04:09:22 pm »
Ganjora is right, the biker isn't going to win this legally.

What worries me is that if this twatwaffle gets away with it this time, next time he may kill someone.
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 04:10:25 pm »
Sub.

Don't agree Ganjora, the BMW oke left the scene of the accident. No claim from his insurance will ever work.

Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Ganjora

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 04:12:08 pm »
Sub.

Don't agree Ganjora, the BMW oke left the scene of the accident. No claim from his insurance will ever work.

and i disagree with you.
he got out and gave the guy his contact details.
that's not fleeing the scene...
do you deal with accidents or insurance companies?

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2013, 04:12:39 pm »

Rynet, isn't this a case of hit-and-run as well?
Malicious damage to property as well, gooi in assault as well.

Ganjora

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2013, 04:14:41 pm »
Malicious damage to property as well, gooi in assault as well.

:imaposer:

and also complain that he was ugly,  and dressed funny.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2013, 04:16:41 pm »
I think we need the eye witness here.
Did that driver leave the scene of the accident before he'd made sure that the biker was not injured?
You cannot simply throw down a business card as contact details, I wont fall for that. Did he leave his car reg. with the biker? Did he take the biker's details?
But most of all, my previous point - did he make VERY SURE that the biker was not injured and needed help?
How is he going to prove that the damage to his car was caused by the biker?

Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2013, 04:17:01 pm »
Apparently there was lots of witnesses who saw how he hooted at the rider and then stopped on purpose. But yes , its not ideal and it would be difficult, but not impossible, to prove he had the intent to harm . But at the  very least , they should make a case of reckless driving against him , there was nothing in the road to make him stop like that .

did the witnesses see what was directly in front of his car?
if they were ahead of him,  how much could they see in their mirrors?
if they were behind him,  how could they see what was directly in front of him?
i see an insurance companies letter of demand for the biker...

Reminds me of how much I fuckin hate insurance companies. Did I mention the rear reason I sold my KTM? fuckin hate them!
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline White Rhino

• Save the White Rhino
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2013, 04:18:23 pm »
One hopes that he has more than one witness and that their story aligns - but it remains an assumption or speculation as to the reason why the driver stopped - let's say he claims that the cars in front raised a red flag for him and he translated it into an action of an emergency stop? For example a pedestrian that was attempting to cross the road ...

He's had time to think about the situation, he never admitted (or so it seems) guilt, he merely indicated that he can't deal with this .... he has time to concoct something that could challenge the biker ... he only need to go to the cop station 48 hours after the accident - I think that's the time frame ....

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2013, 04:20:34 pm »
One hopes that he has more than one witness and that their story aligns - but it remains an assumption or speculation as to the reason why the driver stopped - let's say he claims that the cars in front raised a red flag for him and he translated it into an action of an emergency stop? For example a pedestrian that was attempting to cross the road ...

He's had time to think about the situation, he never admitted (or so it seems) guilt, he merely indicated that he can't deal with this .... he has time to concoct something that could challenge the biker ... he only need to go to the cop station 48 hours after the accident - I think that's the time frame ....

24 hours... but I would say this is a hit and run incident.

Offline Whaleson

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • One Whale Wolf Pack
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2013, 04:21:00 pm »
and i disagree with you.
he got out and gave the guy his contact details.
that's not fleeing the scene...
do you deal with accidents or insurance companies?

Business card wont hold up as valid legal Identification (It does hold up as being a dick move though). There's no ID number, no Picture. Under correction here but I think that each party involved has to produce a valid license/ID.

In my accident, I rear ended the car in front of me. Technically and by my own admission my fault through and through, but the other driver just fled and someone else represented them at the scene(friend or spouse or whatever), also didnt show valid identification. Insurance did not pay for them and the police weren't too happy with them. Tho not much came from it, i claimed, had my car repaired and drove more carefully from then XD