Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW Build  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
BMW Build
« on: January 29, 2013, 03:44:42 pm »
Yo all.

Been a while sinse I last posted. So hi everyone.

I just need to comment on something that really impressed me. As the old dawgs will know, I myself am a die-hard Honda fan and lately (since 5 years back) also a Kawa man. I always wow-ed about the simplicity and build of the Honda motors and overall bike build. Rugged and sturdy. For this reason I could do my solo trips without worry about breaking down.

This week, my woman got herself a F650 GS. Bought it from Wino on the forum. Good friend and one of the founders of Wilddogs. His wife's bike. She decided to let it go. It got like 5000km on the clock and in really good amazing condition.

But this is not what I want to say. I never bashed BM's and knew that it is good bikes. But so I decided to strip the bike so that I can change oil and filters and shit. Normally what I do with new bike purchase. And thus hence my post.

I am absolutely impressed, no amazed,  with the build. The design and overall ease of work. I have no idea what the 1200's involve but the 650 is absolutely amazing. Compared to my other two bikes, this machine is ... well, you get the point. I never knew the awesomeness of the engineering. Everything easy to access and reach. Maintenance a breeze. I did not ride the bike more than like 200 meters so I can not judge the riding. But when it comes to engineering of the bike, I am totally amazed.

So I just need to state that with the fair extensive experience I have with bikes, this build is really truly one that blow my mind, and well thought out. So, thumbs up to the german engineers and to everyone out there that owns a BM, relax when the KTM oaks bite, and just smile.

Well. that is it. If I continue I am going to sound like a school boy having his first kiss. Well done BMW.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
Re: BMW Build
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 04:50:46 pm »
AS a F650 owner I have to agree with you for the most part. I'm more than happy with mine, but I'm not blind to it's shortcomings. Like whatever possessed the designers to make the fuel filter - a service item - an integral part of the fuel pressure regulator valve, which should normally rarely, if ever need replacing. For this unit they ask a staggering R1,380:00! By way of comparison a filter for my car, also EFI costs 40something bucks.
I know that guys on the technical thread have told me that they simply never replace the filter, despite the book saying every second service, but not changing filters goes against the grain with me.
Anyway,I shall overcome. Somewhere in the catalogues is a suitable seperate regulator valve which once fitted,  will leave me free to pick from an array of reasonably priced filters.
Part of owning a BMW lies in the challenge of finding ways to thwart their designer's malevolent intentions.
Don't get me wrong, I love the bike and it's piggy stable companion, but my money, as far as possible buys my petrol and beer, rather than swelling the dealers' coffers.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 07:19:00 am »
Ye I agree with what you say regarding the costs. When I look at the bike I can see that they did design some items to force you to buy from the BM dealers and also I imagine that this will force you to take it to them for service rather than doing it self. An as we know the costs will be high.

But looking past this issue, the overall build is really well done and beautiful. I do not think I will buy a BM for myself until I reach 60 something. But I do like BM and am now even more impressed. I do like servicing my own bikes so I will stick to Jap bikes.

100001 110010 1101010

Offline lecap

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:20:40 am »
...I never knew the awesomeness of the engineering. Everything easy to access and reach...
:laughing4: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Wait until you need to fit the clutch cover whilst holding the gasket, threading in the rack of the clutch pressure plate lifter and somehow fit the oil return feed all at the same time after you repaced the chewed up awesome engineering cheap shite water pump gears.

I also don't know the awesomeness of engineering if it's constituted by designing a bike without shaft seals over the steering head bearings ::) just pathetic IMHO but the F & G BMW buyers seem to be happy to pay for a set of head bearings & their replacement every few thousand kms ???

From my point of view (professional bike mechanic for some two decades) there is very little awesomeness in the engineering of the F650GS.
It's pretty much on par with many other bikes looking at maintenance, in some instances it's annoyingly awkward. In other aspects it's just cheap. Build and component quality (i.e. galvanic coating of fasteners) is a far cry from what BMW is famed for.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 07:37:46 am »
Lecap how you doing?

Thx for showing my epic fail regarding the engineering. I was so mistaken and it just shows you my lack of knowledge. I am ashamed that this came out on the forum. I guess I lost respect from so many now. Good thing it came from a bike mac for many decades.

But I need to repay your effort in showing me my stupidity. What I will do is to contact my BM buddies that are engineers that design their bikes and tell them that you are the lost key to their success in building the best quality bikes. Man they will be so happy with finding you.

So, again, I will now go to my doc and get some serious moral boosting shit so that I do not loose respect for myself.

O yes, before I forget. Please send me your resume so that I can forward it to them germans at BM.

Cheers (from one very stupid Nut called Zonkel)
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 07:56:49 am »
Ooee! Bitsige feeks nÍ!
Dis naweek bra, skink enetjie.
Dalk help dit.  :biggrin:

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline SlŠinte Mhaith

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:05:36 am »
Lecap how you doing?

Thx for showing my epic fail regarding the engineering. I was so mistaken and it just shows you my lack of knowledge. I am ashamed that this came out on the forum. I guess I lost respect from so many now. Good thing it came from a bike mac for many decades.

But I need to repay your effort in showing me my stupidity. What I will do is to contact my BM buddies that are engineers that design their bikes and tell them that you are the lost key to their success in building the best quality bikes. Man they will be so happy with finding you.

So, again, I will now go to my doc and get some serious moral boosting shit so that I do not loose respect for myself.

O yes, before I forget. Please send me your resume so that I can forward it to them germans at BM.

;D ;D :biggrin: :biggrin: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 08:26:42 am »
Ooee! Bitsige feeks nÍ!

Het ongelukkig enetjie te veel gehad saam met die simpel WD buddies gisteraand en nou vanoggend nie lus vir kak nie.

Maar gaan dit nog goed met jou tjomma?
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Hanno @ Mad Macs

• aka Hando . Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • http://dsadventure.wordpress.com/
    • Dual Sport Adventure
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 08:35:09 am »
Well , me not being a mechanic , I can not comment on the technical aspect of the bike.

I will say this though. My 2006  F650 GS has done 93000 km. In that life span , she has had one new set of waterpump and gears. And recently got a new clutch kit.

I am very happy with the fuel consumption and I take my hat of to that little 650 motor that is more than willing to run at 6500 RPM all day. (red line at 7) . At 93000 km she does not use a drop of oil.

Yes - there are some stupid niggles here and there , like stearing head and swing arm bearings that want some TLC every now and then , but on the whole I think it is a very reliable bike and will one day have legend status like the XR / XT 500 s and the like.

IF and when time and money allow one day , I will gladly take my bike. Strip her down and do a rebuild.
Shop 2- 4 . Melcksloot Village . Somerset mall. Somerset West. 021 852 4851

Offline Skipskop

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 08:52:25 am »
Subtlety and finesse is a very fine art which some people lack ,so don`t let that get to you Zman  :biggrin:
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 08:55:23 am »
Ooee! Bitsige feeks nÍ!

Het ongelukkig enetjie te veel gehad saam met die simpel WD buddies gisteraand en nou vanoggend nie lus vir kak nie.

Maar gaan dit nog goed met jou tjomma?
Ek verstaan. Sorrie, kry maar vir jou 'n ambulansie.

Hey dit gaan baie goed maar julle is te vÍr.
Kry daai "kak BMWtjie" van jou vol sous en sleep jou hol die se kant toe vir 'n kuiertjie man.  
Ek sien die kÍffie verkoop selfs Rizlas hier op die platteland...  :biggrin:

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline plaky

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 08:56:46 am »
I have owned one of the 1st new design 650 Dakar's that arrived in SA and now on my second 1200GS and waiting for my new watercooled GS to arrive.  I am not a techno dude so I WILL was stay away from that discussion. As a person who earns a salary and not self employed my wife calls me Mr budget. As a young dude I always wanted to own a BMW car and bike, boy thing! I only service at BMW even out of warranty. When my front brake disc gave me problems out of warranty BMW replaced the disk free of charge and gave me my money back for the brake pads  had just paid for around R5000 in total. There was very little hassle from BMW to offer this. Yes I agree that the services are high at around R1300 and brake pads cost R750 a set. I am now using aftermarket brake pads at half the price but that is it. I have many friends who have KTM's and they constantly complain about the cost of the services, service itself and also the frequency of the services at every 7500km. I say if I can afford to ride a BMW I must not complain about the costs, however that being said my son's Yamaha BWS 100 scooter costs me R800 to service every 3000km and works out almost double the BMW costs!!! I love my BMW and look forward to riding the new KTM 1190 and compare the two bikes. If only a BMW sounded like a KTM I would be in seventh heaven as I commute every days no matter what the weather!

Offline lecap

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 09:16:09 am »
I see! A bike is great because it's a BMW, because you always wanted one and because BMW sometimes gives away freebies if something breaks after the warranty has expired ???

Job well done, BMW marketing!

Sorry but I don't agree and I will dare to challenge your statement of the claimed engineering awesomeness of the F650GS and if it's just for the sake of saving someone from blindly buying an awesomely engineered bike because everyone on the internet told him how awesome it is.

And before you ask: Yes I did own and ride F650's: Funduros, F650GS Dakar and F650GS
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Gensetter

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Aprilia ETV1000 Caponord
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 09:48:10 am »
Dit klink soos n' WP Noord Transvaal fight hierdie :pot:
Corrosion is not a problem in Gauteng, like on the coast, they will never see the plating issues.

Offline arno

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Toppie......Gooi Mielies!!
    • http://www.princealbertcycles .co.za
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 10:35:03 am »
RElax ou maat....Lecap het n BMW probleem nie jy nie....
Fietse van die verlede: BMW F800GS ,BMW 1150 GS, Honda 305 cc, Honda 400 FOUR, Honda 550 FOUR, BMW 600/6 , DR 650

Tans:  Trapfiets

Offline plaky

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:44:39 am »
All bikes cannot be perfectly engineered and suit everyone's taste, thank heavens for that as we would all look the same and ride the same bikes.  My point on BMW is that the sales service ie Donford BMW with John Carr is awesome, the after sales service including servicing is top class. I get a loan bike everytime I service my bike. They fitted a new battery for me last week free of charge. I feel that BMW including Donford go the extra mile for their customers and have BMW on call for any problems that might arise. Call it marketing call it what you like, this is why I buy a BMW and not sure that other manufacturers or dealers can match this, I stand under correction if someone can tell me otherwise. Go WEEE PEEE

Offline lecap

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 11:58:20 am »
I said:
From my point of view there is very little awesomeness in the engineering of the F650GS.
It's pretty much on par with many other bikes looking at maintenance, in some instances it's annoyingly awkward.

I did not say the BMW is c**p. I also did not comment on BMW after sales service.

Some people need to get the knots out of their panties ::)

especially if someone does not agree with their opinion that the F650GS is the most awesome engineering since the invention of the wheel.

Or maybe help my ignorance: What exactly is awesome AND unique to the F650GS engineering ???

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 12:05:31 pm »
Is there any other bike that consistently gives the kind of mileage and lifespan that BMWs do? If there is I haven't heard of them.

PS, I am a KTM fan boy.......
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:06:47 pm by Dwerg »
Current: KTM 690R
Previous: KTM 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline lecap

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 12:16:27 pm »
And BTW you don't have to commend me for a job at BMW. I am doing my part in making their bikes better:
By supplying & fitting sealed steering head bearings,
supplying & fitting better fork springs,
protecting fork tubes with seal savers or fork boots,
fitting maintenance free batteries which don't leak acid over the bike.

Since the BMW engineering department is oh so awesome they implemented all these improvements in the 2004 upgrade to the twin spark ne?
Or at least with the revival of the F650GS Dakar in form of the old toothless carthorse with a shoe shine job called the Sertao ???

Is there any other bike that consistently gives the kind of mileage and lifespan that BMWs do? If there is I haven't heard of them...

In my garage:
A 2001 DR650SE with 113,000km. Never opened, runs every day, does not use oil.
A looked after DR will do well over 100,000km and it does not even have a water pump :cheers:
And should I mention it comes with a sealed battery, fork boots & sealed steering head bearings :evil6:

Offline 1ougat

• The Commodore !!!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • The Commodore
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2013, 12:19:22 pm »
Lecap how you doing?

;D ;D :biggrin: :biggrin: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :imaposer: :imaposer:

This is as funny as Jacko' s chip on 2SD   :spitcoffee:

Re: UK Journo killed on watercooled GS Launch ę Reply #133 on: January 26, 2013, 08:29:01 PM Ľ   
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 02:03:49 pm by 1ougat »
Make mine a Boxer with a shaft!!!!
2006 R1200 HP2 !!!! - La Poderosa - "The Mighty One"
1965 R50/2
1996 R80 GS PD Classic
2010 1200 GS 1975 Suzuki AC50