Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW Build  (Read 1918 times)

Offline Dwerg

Re: BMW Build
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2013, 12:24:24 pm »
In my garage:
A 2001 DR650SE with 113,000km. Never opened, runs every day, does not use oil.
A looked after DR will do well over 100,000km and it does not even have a water pump :cheers:
And should I mention it comes with a sealed battery, fork boots & sealed steering head bearings :evil6:

I said consistently..... Not two owned by a mechanic
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline badseed

• Ride the adventure
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • KTM 990S, KTM690R , Vespa 200GT
    • www.wildwood.capetown
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2013, 12:24:46 pm »
It's a Korean built bike with an Austrian designed motor that is assembled in Korea . The bike just like my C650GT "BMW" scooter is a Kimco.  Just accept that we pay a shed load more for Korean bikes just because they are designed in Europe. Would I pay R120K for my scooter if it was a KImco? Probably not.
Owner WildWood Motorcycle Tours South Africa

Offline lecap

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2013, 12:47:13 pm »
If I may add:
Acerbis plastics
Brembo brakes
Showa forks

The F650 is a famous example of badge engineering. Not much more German than a Telefunken TV.
The Funduros weren't even assembled in Germany but in an Aprilia plant in Noale / It
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • HKGK !!!
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2013, 01:14:06 pm »
Dit moet seker en van die snaakste " Pis-ek-nou-jou-battery-sopnat" threads wees wat ek ooit gesien het  :imaposer: :imaposer:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline plaky

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2013, 02:01:08 pm »
Le Cap sound like a good mate of mine John Kleyn. He constantly tell us we have BMWitis and that a DR is the best machine in the world and bullet proof. I think he has two of them which he modifies. As I said earlier I am out of the techno debate as I know squat about this. We all have our own ideas what will suit us and what we will be willing to pay for our preference. I commute every day by bike and love touring once a year and I am extremely happy with I have. At this stage I would not swop it for anything, however I am looking forward to seeing and riding the new KTM 1190. Most of my mates have KTM's. Let us not even go there!!!!

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 03:04:47 pm »
Funny thread , who started it?  ;) ;D

But some oaks PM'ed me with some great advice and help. Thanks for all that did that. And especially tx for putting a (le) cap on this tread.

Over and out.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline lecap

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2013, 01:11:07 pm »
Le Cap sound like a good mate of mine John Kleyn. He constantly tell us we have BMWitis and that a DR is the best machine in the world and bullet proof. I think he has two of them which he modifies. As I said earlier I am out of the techno debate as I know squat about this. We all have our own ideas what will suit us and what we will be willing to pay for our preference. I commute every day by bike and love touring once a year and I am extremely happy with I have. At this stage I would not swop it for anything, however I am looking forward to seeing and riding the new KTM 1190. Most of my mates have KTM's. Let us not even go there!!!!

What you probably don't know:
I ran a bike hire business her in CT for over a decade. In this time I had BMW Funduros, F650GSDakars, F650GS, R1100GS, Suzuki XF650 Freewind, KLR's of two different types, Suzuki DR650SE, Triumph Tiger 900, Tiger 900ie and even a Honda CB Seven Fifty Nighthawk working for me. Most of the time I had various bikes of different types and manufacturers at the same time allowing for direct comparsion. I also personally worked on all of the bikes doing everything from regualr maintenance to major repairs and engine rebuilds.
My assessment of various bikes is based on my personal experience.

Besides that: I do not tell you or anyone you must get another bike. I service and repair them all if necessary.

Neither do I tell you that the Suzuki DR650SE is the best bike ever build. It anyway is the best bike for me personally doing what I want to do. It's more capable than myself who's equipped with only a  limited set of riding skills. It is the cheapest tool to get the job done well.
I don't even tell you that DR's never break. if you search you will find my report on a manufacturing fault on one of my DR's crankshafts.

But I still say if you believe the BMW F650GS is the Mount Everest of engineering awesomeness you're either delusional or clueless.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline T Rex

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2013, 01:24:59 pm »
I had a Dakar from 2001 to 2008, no problems at all. The only reason I sold it was that it was a bit slow with 2 up. That 650 is rock solid and very economical.

I have two 1200's , one a GS 2006 which I use mainly on dirt roads, also very reliable......the GSA is my touring bike, the extra weight and bigger tank makes it perfect two up for those longer trips. I don't really pillion on dirt.

I must say I am a big BMW bike fan .....not the cars!! However, I would like to have a KTM in my garage as well.....one day!!

Offline Zonkelmonk

• Whatever
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2013, 11:06:33 am »
But I still say if you believe the BMW F650GS is the Mount Everest of engineering awesomeness you're either delusional or clueless.

My oh my. Serious dude?
100001 110010 1101010