Sutherland Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy660

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
The Offroad Adventure club ride to Sutherland went ahead in the wind and rain.
We met at the caltex Garage in Durbanville as planned at 06h45.
Jorg , the organiser (KTM 950),Gavin (KTM 640Adv),Toni (XT660) And Me,Andy (XT660)
The ride to Ceres was with a very strong wind from the Left.NW
It drizzled a bit on the way through Tulbach, But poured down through to Ceres where we stopped for breakfast.
After breakfast we refueled and hit the road again.Other that the od spitting ,we had no more rain.
The wind was still very fresh from the left and once we hit the gravel it was quite hairy at times.
We had a few scares as the road has been re-surfaced with white clay.
On one occation,where the road was wet, we were "ice skating' and it slowed us down for a bit.
We found a Puff Adder that somone had flattend its head with a car,(just over a metre long.)

At about 120km into the trip from Ceres. Gavin was up front,then me.I lost site of Toni behind me.
As the road was quite bad with alot of loose gravel,I rode to the top of the hill so I could look down to see where he was.
Aftwer waiting 5 min or so,and having no cell ph signal, we made our way slowly back down,keeping to the left of the road.
Toni had gone through a dip ,up a hil which dropped off and turned sharp right.
He had hit a huge rock and cart wheeled into to bush.
Jorg had been some 300m behind him.
He was badly bruised.His right fingers we strapped together,He broke his helmet visor and was blleeding from his face(small scrath),
His rain suit was torn on his LH shoulder,and was limping quite badly.
We were worried, cause he was very pale.
His front wheel was badly buckled and the handle bars we bent.
How he landed between all the rocks and walked out,who know
He managed to ride my bike slowly and I took his.
We rode back 10 k`s or so to a farm,where we left him and the bike, so we could go back and get a trailer and pick him up.
This all happened at about 12h00.Jorg got back to the farm at about 10pm that night and they only made it back this morning at 04h00.
Toni called me at 06h30 to let me know he was very bruized but ok.
It turns out there was a doctor on the farm  and he had checked Toni out.
I will post pics as soon as I can upload them.
So we never quite got to Sutherland. :mad: